EHAudio

MOVING!! Need ideas on transporting my Vision Pro S

Hey gang, so I am moving out of the over-taxed state of Illinois to the land of milk and honey - Indiana. I need to transport my precious grill without breaking it. The drive will be almost 2 hours and I have a Dodge Durango. Any thoughts on packaging? Or anyone have experience moving their grill safely? Thanks!!

Not familiar with that particular grill but, in general, inside the durango, you should be good to go. I'd separate the firebox, grates, etc and wrap the ceramics in either bubble wrap, blankets, lots of cardboard, etc. Make sure the sides of the kamado is protected and well and perhaps use something (tie downs, etc.) to keep the lid from bumping up and down. If there is a latch, even better. easy peezy, lemon squeezy. Now, where the children and dog sit, is another story. :-D

disclaimer: in case of accident, all bets are off...

I picked up a used Big Joe last fall a couple hundred miles south of me... Took two vehicles for a couple of reasons, but just as easily could have taken one.  The gasser was for a friend...  Big Joe was wrapped with pallet wrap over the top to make sure there was no chatter between the lid and base... the nest, firebowl and accessories rode in the Suburban...  Wrapped straps around each side and didn't over torque it.  I hightailed it home with the Big Joe (and Sabre) in the truck...  Nest, firebowl and accessories followed shortly.  It was a long winded track to the patio, but finally did make it without anyone perishing.  Would have been fine to transport everything in the short bed truck if we hadn't picked up that gasser for a buddy.  And I probably would have been able to get it all in the pickup if I really wanted to, but we decided to take two vehicles, so that's what I went with....

IMG_7169.JPG

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

5ae68f451210c_IMG_71782.thumb.JPG.f915aa9bbbf8a8dd1a30075218046e9d.JPG

Good words from above. In addition:  I read the words grill,-see it's a Vision.  I would transport in the upright normal position. Near the front is best. Inner contents I would take out and wrap individually. 

There are videos out there on unpacking new units like a KJ. -might get an idea from watching them and thinking packing rather than unpacking.

The only part of the grill I would let touch the truck or whatever is the bottom. You can secure it in front a corner, and almost make it part of the transport vehicle but that's a distant second choice for me.

M.

When moving my grills, I pulled everything out, wrapped in old towels, put the kamado on a piece of plywood in the back seat of my car, placed everything back in and shimmed secure with cardboard. Then ran the seatbelt through the handle and clipped in. 120km move and the riskiest part was moving it all up onto my new porch.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:44 PM, KismetKamado said:

The gasser was for a friend...  Big Joe was wrapped with pallet wrap over the top to make sure there was no chatter between the lid and base...

Great touch on the shrink wrap. I would have mentioned it but most people don't just have it lying around the house. Also, some of us kamado owners now feel the need to add disclaimers such as– "pay no attention to that gasser behind the curtain" :-D

7 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Great touch on the shrink wrap. I would have mentioned it but most people don't just have it lying around the house. 

I think everyone should have a big roll of pallet wrap - it is WAY too handy not to have around.  I hopped up in the truck, pulled off a little, twisted it into a rope to wrap around the hinge to give me a hold to get it started and went to town.  I put on a show for the kids - "and that's how you do that."  LOL.  It held everything snug and I didn't need to worry about chatter between the lid and base.  Also, it provided a layer of protection from the straps rubbing directly against anything.  Had I not had all the room in the Suburban for the other pieces I probably would have pallet wrapped components too if they had to ride a bit snugger together.

So my answer for the move definitely involves pallet wrap...  it's like duct tape but better. :)

And there is no way I would ever get the Christmas tree back in the box each year if I didn't have pallet wrap to compress that sucker back into a manageable size.

9 hours ago, BeerdedRooster said:

nice BED RUG!! you and I are the only people on the planet that have one... lol

Totally love the bed rug - glad to finally meet the other owner on the planet (I too don't know of anyone else with one).  Nice and flat and soft surface in the back of the truck.  Felt totally good and cozy with Big Joe riding on it.  And I got the Truxedo LoPro tonneau with the tonneau trax rail system so I have tie down hooks that I can place in various places along the rail.  I really didn't want to cut my bed rug to access the bed tie downs (my bed stays impeccably clean with tonneau cover and full bed rug) and we don't ever tote around anything in the bed that is too big for the tonneau trax system since we have a small trailer we can use for that sort of thing.  

When I picked up my Vision B I had the choice of a 4 door sedan and a truck. I chose the sedan. Took the firebox out and put that in the trunk. Threw the body in the back seat upright. Hardest part was getting the thing out of the door of the car, but it went smoothly. 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:11 AM, BeerdedRooster said:

nice BED RUG!! you and I are the only people on the planet that have one... lol

Got to make that three of us ,

IMG_0013.thumb.jpg.06dbeba96067e34eba7a46481f597060.jpg

Best truck upgrade, I can think of. On the transportation question I think they got you covered in the posts above. I strongly second the use of that roll pallet wrap, truly great stuff.( when I was a high school principal my football trainer used that stuff to hold ice bags on ankles, knees, shoulders, very versatile tight hold for almost anything. It will keep your lid from bouncing up and down on the kettle as you hit dips in the road. (I would put some of wraps all the way from under the bottom of the kettle, up the side, and over the top and back again, making sure they were tight.   A couple of things t in addition,  make sure you  lift the kettle by the bottom and the sides and not the hinge assembly or anything attached to the bands. You don't want to bend anything out of shape and screw up your alignment. Better to have too much help lifting a light load then to struggle by your self or just one other helper. Also make sure you put a thick pad of some kind under the kamado and lash it to something that will keep it tight to the floor of your Durango. My SUV's have had metal cargo loops on the floor of the rear section. Best of luck and Congratulations on your move to the land of Milk and Honey. 

@keeperovdeflame - you "called" our bed rugs and "raised" us a hard top tonneau.  I think you officially "win" on having the rarest of the rare bird configurations.  :)

Mine actually goes over the wheel wells and up the sides of the bed as well, all the way to the bed rail caps which is why I have the big tie down access problem.  

Let us know how the move went, @EHAudio!  We're looking forward to hearing that your kamado made it safe and sound. :)