How do I cook chicken thighs for crispy skin?

Try this, I have great success.

Hit the bone side with something savory like garlic or celery salt then wrap the extra skin pulling tight and use very fine salt on the skin side - plenty.  Using an indirect setup bring the kamado up to 400°f and place the thighs in bone side down.  Keep that skin tight.  Cook for about 30 minutes no flipping until you get an internal temp of +/- 180°f.  Skin should be nice and crispy and meat juicy.  Add paprika for some color.

Good lick but like @John Setzler said, "deep fry them!"

Not sure if this fits here but for those who may not have a grill yet or just want to cook thighs via the old school oven method, this is what I do to get perfect chicken thighs with crispy skin that is juicy at the same time.

1. No oil, no liquid, nothing. Just Season both sides with a generous amount of old bay seasoning, pepper, greek seasoning, garlic powder, some chili powder, paprika. 
2. Top off the thighs with a drizzle of honey, and squeeze some lemon as well.
3. Cook the thighs for 45 minutes at 450'.
4. Usually I'll baste using the liquid in the pan but sometimes I don't. 
5. I know it's perfect when the inside temp reaches 190-200'. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, RibeyeCapDude78 said:

Not sure if this fits here but for those who may not have a grill yet or just want to cook thighs via the old school oven method, this is what I do to get perfect chicken thighs with crispy skin that is juicy at the same time.

1. No oil, no liquid, nothing. Just Season both sides with a generous amount of old bay seasoning, pepper, greek seasoning, garlic powder, some chili powder, paprika. 
 2. Top off the thighs with a drizzle of honey, and squeeze some lemon as well.
3. Cook the thighs for 45 minutes at 450'.
4. Usually I'll baste using the liquid in the pan but sometimes I don't. 
 5. I know it's perfect when the inside temp reaches 190-200'. 

curious why this wouldn't work in a kamado?  

I've watched Myron Mixon prep his thighs and the very first thing he does is remove the skin completly from the thigh. Then he will spread the skin out flat and take a butter knife and scrape off a good portion of the fat from the inside of the skin. Once he has removed the fat from the skin he wraps the skin back on the thigh before cooking. 

Can't say I have tried this (more of a pork/beef guy) but it makes sense and he seems to have good success with that approach.

• 1 month later...

High heat for crisp 

allow a couple of hours for the chicken to come up to room temp before cooking ,this will decrease the cooking time and also stop the outside over cooking and drying out before the centre has come up to a safely cooked temp 

• 8 months later...

Thought I would share tonight’s chicken thigh recipe. 

Stacked grills. Pan on lower grill acts as deflector plus a bit of water so catches fat and not acrid smoke.  Not much water and monitor it. Don’t let it run out. Goal is to have just enough water that the pan is just covered at end of cook. 

Get up to around 350. 

Score the skin one way about 1/2 “ wide. 

Season.  Salt Pepper and whatever you like.  Not light but not heavy. Decent coverage all around.  I rub in with hands.  

Skin side up. About 40 m. Depending.  

You have some time.  You need to disinfect yourself and your work area anyway. 

Next, make a little garlic butter and your salad dressing. Chop up a beans or asparagus or root to fit that covered pan later. Did you check that water?

Go for internal 165 on the thighs. 

Remove thighs. Place on your plate.  

Remove top grill and pan. Save the pan, as it is going on again soon.  

Place thighs skin side down. 

Two to Three Minutes, char marks showing and crispy skin.  

Return to plate skin side up.  Let rest 10 m. Foil or lid. 

Add splash of white wine to pan, that was your deflector, put that back onto heat with cut beans or carrots, or asparagus, or another root veg.  Throw in some garlic butter.  Let that cook down for 10 m (no moisture really left).  Throw in some crushed nuts or sesame seeds, stir, and put into a bowl. Sprinkle fresh lemon and maybe some zest over.