Sign in to follow this  
cwhuling

Pork Butts and Rolls

I ended up with a mostly free Saturday and decided to cook a couple of Boston Butts.  I finished my other chores early and decided to make home made rolls and Cole slaw to go with the pork.  This was the first time I brined a Boston Butt and was pleased with the outcome.  

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

1 minute ago, KismetKamado said:

Awesome - everything looks great!  Especially the rolls!!!!  That had to have made a killer pulled pork sandwich.... ;)

Its funny, a few weeks ago I did burgers, and made the rolls on a whim.  They turned out really good, but most importantly, my kids loved them.   So, I did it again.  They aren't a lot of work, just the time to allow them to rise twice and bake.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By brandonh
      I'm pretty inexperienced with my kamado, especially low and slow. My temp had been higher than I wanted (305) so I adjusted the top vent to nearly closed (1/8” or so). The temp held steady  at around 245 for the next 4 hours and now going into hour 6 my temp has dropped to 225 in the last 45 min. Is my fire out? I'm about 15 min from home so I don't want to go unless necessary. TIA
    • By NeroPrime
      Just got done with dinner, my first time making a Boston Butt.

https://goo.gl/photos/Gzk5ZWgnBB7Rbz9X8

The Akorn with the Tip Tip Temp kept an even 240-250ºF for the full 7 hrs.
    • By michael.thro
      Hi All, this is my first post, but not my first time reading all the great advice on here. 

Here's my dilemma: I bought a pack of butts from Costco--roughly 13lbs so two 6.5lb roasts. I have family coming Saturday and expecting to eat sometime Saturday evening--approximately 4-6pm. That is flexible. It seems too risky to start the cook Saturday morning, but I fear that if I put them on Friday night, the smaller sized roasts will cook quicker and possible dry out before the target dinner time. Should I buy a bigger roast and start it Friday night? Or suck it up and put the two smaller ones on in the wee hours like 1am? I'm planning/hoping for 225 and giving myself a 2 hours/lb of a cook time. 
      Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. 
    • By VAPA
      Hey, everyone! I picked my Akorn up a few weeks ago, and so far have done a couple of direct fire cooks with steaks and burgers with great results. I finally have the time to do my first smoke on the Akorn (actually ever, on any grill/smoker), and decided to go with a Boston Butt. I am going to pick up a 9 pounder later in the week. I did have a couple of newbie questions I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with.

1. In your experiences, for someone still trying to learn their smoker, is it best to try and hit the 250* mark and smoke overnight, or bump the temp up a bit to 300* or so and get it on around 6am? We probably won't be eating until 6pm or so. I am worried that if I start early in the morning it won't be done!

2. What are your favorites for BBQ sauces to serve? I have always been a KC style BBQ sauce guy, but my wife loves NC style. I'm kind of leaning towards NC style because it goes so well with pork. 

3. Also, I read the tutorial on starting a low and slow fire in the Akorn, and noticed it mentioned using cotton balls instead of the weber cubes. I already have weber cubes from my kettle grill so I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion on if I should use a whole one, half, quarter? I would like to try and use them up

Thanks in advance! I will update and post pictures after the cook!
    • By DrKGB
      Just finishing up my first overnight cook on the Big Joe. Ten pound Boston Butt for Sunday lunch.  I kept the temp around 220 since my 10 pound butt was actually 2 pieces. Cooked them for about 14 hours and took them off when they were at 198. I've wrapped them in foil and have them in a cooler resting. I can't wait for lunch today!

Just want to say a quick thanks to everybody on this site for all the great posts and advice. As a new Kamado owner, I've gotten lots of good advice from reading the posts!