Sign in to follow this  
deity6667

Big Joe retrofit hinge is here!

So... let me get this straight... is this the new airlift hinge retrofit for the earlier KJ's????  I thought that wasn't going to be possible....  I'm never going to have a red KJ - no way, no how - so if I could get the sweet new hinge on my older Big Joe I would be totally stoked.  She's going to be my "go to" girl on the concrete patio in the summer for entertaining (not that I do that very often, but still...).

47 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

So... let me get this straight... is this the new airlift hinge retrofit for the earlier KJ's????  I thought that wasn't going to be possible....  I'm never going to have a red KJ - no way, no how - so if I could get the sweet new hinge on my older Big Joe I would be totally stoked.  She's going to be my "go to" girl on the concrete patio in the summer for entertaining (not that I do that very often, but still...).

Yes it’s the new airlift hinge for the older big joes. Although if I had a working BJ which sealed all around when closed I would not change it for the world!

Does this work with the old straps, or did it come with new ones? I have a hinge that isn't reliable, as far as staying open and have been waiting for the new hinge. What did the new hing cost, or was it a warranty item?

41 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

Does this work with the old straps, or did it come with new ones? I have a hinge that isn't reliable, as far as staying open and have been waiting for the new hinge. What did the new hing cost, or was it a warranty item?

Was warranty replaced as I’ve had both my top and base replaced and since then I’ve not been able to get a good seal all around - I have a gap at the rear where I can stick my finger in. The hinge came without bands and fitted to my existing ones with no issues.

Can you outline the replacement instructions? My original hinge is ok but I fear that it will slam on me one day, have come close a few times. 

Was considering this until it was mentioned before that it would not work and they were not developing it any longer. Seems that they had a change of heart. 

From what I see in the box it appears that it is a simple bolt on replacement. No straps to remove etc. Very interested again. Thanks

12 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Bummer that your gap problem isn’t resolved, @deity6667, but thank you very much for sharing about the hinge. 

10 hours ago, packer01 said:

Can you outline the replacement instructions? My original hinge is ok but I fear that it will slam on me one day, have come close a few times. 

Was considering this until it was mentioned before that it would not work and they were not developing it any longer. Seems that they had a change of heart. 

From what I see in the box it appears that it is a simple bolt on replacement. No straps to remove etc. Very interested again. Thanks

I’m pretty sure the new Air lift hinge requires the Fiberglass gaskets.  You’re missing a part.  As soon as you add the Fiberglass gaskets it will seal perfectly.  

11 hours ago, packer01 said:

yes the process is roughly:

1. Remove the tensioning bolt on the top band and then undo the akorn nuts on the top band and let the hinge slowly rise up (might need two people)

2. undo the akorn nut on the bottoms band.

3. pry the hinge off the bottom band- took a bit of effort on my one

4. attach the new hinge to the bottom band first

5. attach the hinge to the top band 

6. remove the hinge safety (spacer,washer and nut) - this engages the spring

7. open and enjoy how easy it is. They also show how to adjust the spring for more or less pressure

On 2018-04-29 at 8:24 PM, deity6667 said:

yes the process is roughly:

1. Remove the tensioning bolt on the top band and then undo the akorn nuts on the top band and let the hinge slowly rise up (might need two people)

2. undo the akorn nut on the bottoms band.

3. pry the hinge off the bottom band- took a bit of effort on my one

4. attach the new hinge to the bottom band first

5. attach the hinge to the top band 

6. remove the hinge safety (spacer,washer and nut) - this engages the spring

7. open and enjoy how easy it is. They also show how to adjust the spring for more or less pressure

I always thought we would have to replace the bands too for the stainless steel locking clip in the front to make the seal tight.  It looks like this design does not require the locking clip for older pre-2017 Joe’s. 

Well, what in the world.

I just e-mailed customer service as I have procured a 2015 Big Joe NIB and wanted the nifty new hinge and was told it doesn't exist for older Big Joe's?

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 5/8/2018
Subject: Older Big Joe-New Hinge Replacement

Hello Jon, 

Thank you for your request. We do not have the hinge available for older models. The only upgrades that fit are the top vent, mesh gasket and multi piece fire box. 

Thank you, 

Effie 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 5/7/2018
Subject: Older Big Joe-New Hinge Replacement

I'm in the process of purchasing an older Big Joe (it has felt gasket, no closing clasp and no air assist hinge) from a local vendor, I think last one they have.

I was wondering if I could buy an air assist hinge for the big joe along with the closing clasp mechanism?

Thanks in advance