Sign in to follow this  
deity6667

Big Joe retrofit hinge is here!

1 hour ago, newb24 said:

Well, what in the world.

I just e-mailed customer service as I have procured a 2015 Big Joe NIB and wanted the nifty new hinge and was told it doesn't exist for older Big Joe's?

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 5/8/2018
Subject: Older Big Joe-New Hinge Replacement

Hello Jon, 

Thank you for your request. We do not have the hinge available for older models. The only upgrades that fit are the top vent, mesh gasket and multi piece fire box. 

Thank you, 

Effie 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 5/7/2018
Subject: Older Big Joe-New Hinge Replacement

I'm in the process of purchasing an older Big Joe (it has felt gasket, no closing clasp and no air assist hinge) from a local vendor, I think last one they have.

I was wondering if I could buy an air assist hinge for the big joe along with the closing clasp mechanism?

Thanks in advance

thats kinda sucks - although i'm still waiting on what will be the nexts steps for my joe - the gap between the base and lid is big enough that i'm not able to use it without wasting a lot of lump. If it helps i could send you a picture of the part number etc that was on the box - but that would be later in the day.

Any updates in your saga, @deity6667?  Curious as I might consider the hinge / gasket upgrade on my Big Joe.  I have a lot of leaks in my new to me used Big Joe, but I think a standard gasket replacement will fix me.... although the gasket appears to be in good shape and I’m kind of shocked it leaks the way it does.   Just thinking the hinge upgrade and gasket upgrade combo might be nice....

4 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Any updates in your saga, @deity6667?  Curious as I might consider the hinge / gasket upgrade on my Big Joe.  I have a lot of leaks in my new to me used Big Joe, but I think a standard gasket replacement will fix me.... although the gasket appears to be in good shape and I’m kind of shocked it leaks the way it does.   Just thinking the hinge upgrade and gasket upgrade combo might be nice....

Being in New Zealand I have to talk to the local dealer who is also the master importer for Kamado Joe. They assure me they have attempted multiple times to contact KJ and have not yet had a response.

in the mean time they have given me a roll of the old style gasket to use to fix the gaps . At the back I’m now onto my 5th additional layer of gasket and now only have minor leaking - at least I can use her now.

Summary: waiting for KJ, have a stop gap. The new hinge is soo much better to use in terms of lifting and closing the lid - would.not want to go back.

5 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

... I have a lot of leaks in my new to me used Big Joe...

I intentionally sought out the older model for reliability; the old hinge is simpler. Now that I've watched it work, it seems clear that the original design is intended only to keep the lid up. There's no lifting force when it's closed, and the lid is heavy. 

I was also surprised by the thin, flat gasket. Thinking about it, it's ideal for a full-weight lid because it's not compressible. As long as it's a uniform thickness (and mating surfaces are parallel),  there should be no leaks. That leaves the bands... this is kind of a troubleshooting guide. If the hinge box is straight and square, and the gasket's not lumpy, the bands must be holding the lid in a manner that prevents contact all the way around. What do you see? How's it look compared with your others that seal well?

I'm working blind here, but given how well mine seals, there has to be a better option than adding a thick gasket without the hinge designed for it. The only issue I see with the old design is the high lift force, which I like from a seal standpoint when everything's aligned. A hinge upgrade may be attractive; the question is if it's a solution, if there's an underlying problem elsewhere. 

Have fun,

Frank

On 5/20/2018 at 1:45 AM, KismetKamado said:

This is the part number from the box.

3D61B2D9-C546-4299-88F5-88E2E68EAAF6.thumb.jpeg.ba746ab8e2ef89f905666f3b3d563930.jpeg

7 hours ago, opjoec said:

how much was the retrofit hinge?

I got it as part of a very long support case i have open which started with replacing a cracked top and base. Based on comments from other people it doesn't seem like the retrofit hinge is available to purchase.

8 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

I don't know the whole story on this but that is ridiculous, someone should be replacing the complete unit.

Yes! i'm with you on this. To be honest i'm getting tired of having to chase and get no response. KJ might have good support in the US - however where i live it takes a very long time even to get parts as things get sent on boats.

Seems to be a theme with anyone outside the US

The Australian KJ Distributer isn't great at warranty claims either

I know people who have been waiting in excess of 6 months for fireboxes or top vents

Its understandable that things take longer to ship here than they would in the US but when people stateside get their parts within days and we're left waiting months, it makes life hard

Say what you will about BGE, but KJ should take a look at their international warranty procedure as anyone in Aus who I've spoken to about the BGE warranty has nothing but positive things to say

3 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Seems to be a theme with anyone outside the US

The Australian KJ Distributer isn't great at warranty claims either

I know people who have been waiting in excess of 6 months for fireboxes or top vents

Its understandable that things take longer to ship here than they would in the US but when people stateside get their parts within days and we're left waiting months, it makes life hard

Say what you will about BGE, but KJ should take a look at their international warranty procedure as anyone in Aus who I've spoken to about the BGE warranty has nothing but positive things to say

So, knowing what you now know, would you go KJ or BGE down under?  It seems easier to find a KJ, but if the local distributer has issues with warranty...

1 hour ago, AntinOz said:

So, knowing what you now know, would you go KJ or BGE down under?  It seems easier to find a KJ, but if the local distributer has issues with warranty...

It a tough call

We have both a KJ and a BGE dealer in the NT

A friend of mine was in the market for a Kamado a while back and had the choice of the two.

You get more fruit with the KJ but that's only a positive if you plan to you your Kamado to its full extent

If you mainly plan to use it as a smoker/charcoal oven then the DnC system isn't really a huge plus (he also has $5k worth of Beef Eater Gas BBQ)

The KJ hinge is good as is the top vent and fire box but again, is that worth the extra coin?

The local guy here has a package with a XL BGE (same size as the BJ) plus heat deflector, CI cooking surfaces and a Table to put it in for the cost of a BJ.

Its personal preference, if I had to do it all over again I'm not sure which way I'd go, but I've also been spared any warranty issues (aside from the top vent). That having been said, I recently put a deposit down on a BGE MiniMax over a Joe JNR.

For the record, the friend who was shopping for a Kamado went with the KJ when BBQ Galore had a 20% all stock sale over Christmas. Kinda hard to pass up that deal