Fleetz

BGE vs Kamado?

Interesting observation from the forum here that there are some 36,000 od posts on the Kamado brand forum verses around 2,000 for the BGE. Was wondering where the huge difference?

is the Kamado that more popular than the BGE?

You may want to rephrase your question.  By definition 

220px-Kamado4816.jpg
A traditional kamado in a Japanese museum
220px-Edo_Kamado.JPG
The 18th century Merchant's kitchen, Stove boiler or kamado made of copper (Fukagawa Edo Museum)

A kamado (竈) is a traditional Japanese wood or charcoal fueled cook stove.

No matter the brand they are all kamados.

18 minutes ago, Fleetz said:

The 36,000 odd posts I mention was against Kamado Joe, have I missed something?

In your first post you left out the word “Joe” which is a specific brand (KamadoJoe). Just saying “Kamado” didn’t make any sense because there are lots of Kamado-style grills. 

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that eggers have a devoted forum. They have tons of information and knowledgeable members as well. Similar to this forum in a lot of ways. This site seems more geared towards the KJ brand(my perception). Over time it has become more inclusive of ALL Kamado brands and their unique owners. Both sites are awesome resources. As for popularity of brands, I'm certain that they are almost on equal ground. Remember "other" brands are always compared to BGE or KJ! I wouldn't hesitate to buy EITHER brand. Ultimately, I would want to see both in person and put my hands on the units I was considering. It may also come down to included(or available) accessories or "the right deal at the right time".  I know I can't debate this as I need to go fire my "most popular" option(my awesome Vision) today and do the April wings and thangs challenge!;-)

I agree that the popularity of KJ here probably has to do with the fact that I suspect most BGE owners participate in their own forum.  Which is fine.  BGE is the "kleenex" of the kamado world.  Meaning of course that it is the brand name that is so popular some people use the brand name interchangeably with the name of the product.  This forum is inclusive of all brands.  I have never owned a kamado Joe or BGE and have always felt welcome here. I just think kamado Joe is the next most popular brand so of course that is what would be most active here. 

Given this forum is run by noted Kamado Joe spokesman John Setzler, it makes sense that a lot of KJ owners would gravitate here.

There are a number of BGE forums and Facebook pages around the traps but I prefer this site as it seems more welcoming to other brands that the KJ or BGE only forums/pages

I consider myself a huge Kamado fan and am not particular to any brand at all.  I feel like I can say this relatively objectively given that I own a BGE, Vision, Akorn, Kamado Joe and Komodo Kamado.  This forum has always been very welcoming to all kamado owners and that is a huge part of it's appeal.  There is no brand loyalty here to any one specific brand...  we are welcoming and encouraging of any kamado followers and even have some threads devoted to non-kamado cooking as there are many of us that are outdoor cooking enthusiasts who use a number of different instruments to execute the art.  

I find KamadoGuru to be a very welcoming platform for everyone and I am proud every day that I am part of it.  

On 4/28/2018 at 9:17 AM, St1brew said:

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that eggers have a devoted forum. 

You mean eggheadforum.com ?  The one where my first sign up disappeared after four days and I had to re-register?  The one where it then took three weeks to be approved, and the lack of any ability to post (and interact with folks) kinda spoiled any interest I had in the forum?  

@Fleetz -- there are a lot of different factors.  Yes, the eggheadforum above is active and is directly sponsored by BGE corporate.  KJ tends to focus on Facebook moreso than a forum.  Both the BGE and KJ Facebook groups are very active.  

BGE has been around longer and has a much larger fan base, some of which comes about from the name recognition in many areas.  The company seems to have adopted a Harley-Davidson "buy into an identity" sort of business model with BGE dealers serving almost as BGE Boutiques where you can outfit yourself with all sorts of BGE-emblazoned paraphernalia.  

KJ is a newer player, and has been aggressive in striving to innovate.  Their newer hinge design is really nice, as is their divide-and-conquer rack system.  

End of the day both will cook as good as meal as you have skill to produce.  

If you are in the market, I suggest going and comparing them side by side (there are some places which carry both brands) -- also be sure to compare total setup costs since KJ includes a bunch of stuff BGE sells as accessories/add-ons or you have to get from the third party aftermarket.  Also note that the sizes are similar enough between BGE and KJ that a lot of accessories for one will work with the other.

Both the BGE and KJ are excellent kamados from well established companies with excellent warranties and  customer service. The reason there are more KJ owners here, IMO, is due to the fact that John made videos for KJ for a while and his videos inspired folks to look at KJ's as a viable option when purchasing. Another issue is that for quite some time KJ was a better deal economically as they sold a complete kamado including accessories. BGE is more an Ala Carte purchase,  with the buyer  purchasing the basic kamado and then adding on stones and additional racks,  etc. Also for a while KJ's were less expensive than BGE's (all this coming from a guy with cooks on a BGE).  And, like others have said BGE has a dedicated EggHead forum which draws the highest number of BGE owners. However, all of this history seems to be in the past, as my current understanding is that both the KJ and BGE have increased in cost. If your looking to purchase you would not make a bad choice if you flipped a coin, both kamados are great. Just a thought on Forums. I cook on a BGE but much prefer this forum as it is focused on kamado cooking and not the brand you cook on. If you want to learn how to cook on a kamado, IMO, this is the place to do it.

Keep in mind that this forum was built on the back of an Akorn (anybody remember Man Cave Meals?)  John eventually upgraded to KJ so a lot of KJ owners gravitated over here. The past history of the forum has had more Akorn owners than any other kamado brand. I don't have access to the exact statistics but I bet there are still more Akorn owners than any other brand (they are just not as vocal to the brand they own.) 

With all that said I've never owned a KJ. I've posted a lot of strange cooks on many different grilling appliances. I've always felt welcome regardless. 

Don't get hung up on a particular brand. All kamados are essentially the same and you can produce the same results once you know your kamado. Buy the one that's right for you. 

39 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

And, like others have said BGE has a dedicated EggHead forum which draws the highest number of BGE owners. However, all of this history seems to be in the past, as my current understanding is that both the KJ and BGE have increased in cost. If your looking to purchase you would not make a bad choice if you

Flip a a coin got cut off.  But to Keepers point it’s a win win situation. This forum is mega super ultra awesome but some eggers  gravitate to the egg forum as it is a bigger more well known place.  If you choose an egg please continue to be a part of this (imho superior and more inviting) forum. If you choose Joe, primo, pit, vision, akorn , KK etc ...ditto.  This place is the melting pot of kamado kooking. 

Bought a Big Joe in August 2017, put a deposit down on a BGE Mini Max yesterday

Theyre both great and anyone who tries to tell you that one brand of Kamado is better than the other is usually speaking more from a position of brand loyalty rather than experience