Sign in to follow this  
Cavman

Frozen commercial patties

I used to buy Cash and Carry frozen burgers all the time. Always bought 1/3 lb patties. Ex wife thought they were to big and started making multiple sizes at home and freezing. Single now, work just supplied propane grilled C&C 1/2 pound burgers, forgot they were that good. Bought a box of Angus 1/2 pounders this morning. A step up from work. I have never cooked a burger this thick from frozen, even though it is intended to be. To add to that, I will be cooking them on my Blackstone griddle not a bbq. I am thinking 6 min per side. They are perforated the entire surface. Input?

A half pound frozen patty is going to be a tall order for an open top griddle in my opinion...  Unlike a kamado, you're not going to have a good amount of ambient heat to help it along.  I wouldn't run too hot, because you're going to be on there awhile and you don't want the exterior totally scorched.  I wouldn't be surprised with more than 6 minutes per side...  

When I cook cabbage on my Blackstone griddle I use a foil pan to cover the cabbage as it cooks. You could probably use that method with the burgers. Should shorten the cooking time a little bit. 

Foil pans work great for this as they come in various sizes and shapes. One day I'll probably buy the right size SS bowl to use as a cooking cover. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

When I cook cabbage on my Blackstone griddle I use a foil pan to cover the cabbage as it cooks. You could probably use that method with the burgers. Should shorten the cooking time a little bit. 

Foil pans work great for this as they come in various sizes and shapes. One day I'll probably buy the right size SS bowl to use as a cooking cover. 

That's a great idea on the foil pans - hadn't thought about that.  

Also, I'm now intrigued as to what sort of cabbage cook you're doing on your griddle?  We like to do slabs on the grill, but this has got me thinking that a slab on the griddle might be a great way to go as it would stay together better....

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

That's a great idea on the foil pans - hadn't thought about that.  

Also, I'm now intrigued as to what sort of cabbage cook you're doing on your griddle?  We like to do slabs on the grill, but this has got me thinking that a slab on the griddle might be a great way to go as it would stay together better....

I do slabs and I do chopped. I use an Italian dressing type seasoning to brush or drizzle on. I have a 2 burner griddle. I keep the cabbage on the left side with that burner off and the right side burner on low. Keep covered with the foil pan and flip & brush/drizzle every 5 minutes or so. The foil pan works really well for this type of cook. Sort of fries and steams at the same time. 

Just finished 1st burger. 6 min per side covered w/grill dome = juicy no pink burger. Cash & Carry First Street Angus  1/2 lb burgers frozen beef patties on 3/4 throttle Blackstone 17" Griddle. Very good.

I just made another cook with these patties and using the grill dome, 5 min per side yielded a even juicier burger no pink. I tend to not use my thermometer on burgers but time them. I will reduce another 30 sec per side next time. While these are not best burger meat ever, they are good, consistent and easy. By the way, these are cooks on the highest flame setting. Will add a pick sometime this week.