Hello All

Corn

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the very north where the grill season is quite short, so trying to spend time grilling whenever the weather is ok. I have had many kinds of grills, gas, wood burning and now getting used to kamado. I have even made one in the past from big 316 stainless steel pipe cut in half. I still actually have it but haven't used it for a while. Gas grill was something I never liked, but thankfully that rusted away. Never tried those electric grills, and if I have my sanity, never will.

So decided to try something else and invested in ceramic kamado grill. Wife does the cooking and I'm no expert in that matter but when it comes to grilling it's always me who does that. And I think beer and grill go hand in hand... :-D

Trying to master the kamado and perhaps one day perfect steak..

Welcome! 

I think a lot of us have a checkered past littered with grills of various sorts. Rust has a place in my personal evolution. Even stainless is exposed, if welds and rivets give out. And how can you get the leaky things hot?

That said, I still use cast iron to achieve my idea of the perfect steak, albeit with that cast iron heated on a Kamado. Kamado mastery has many dimensions... enjoy the journey!

Have fun,

Frank

4 minutes ago, ndg_2000 said:

I'd love to see your home made Kamado if you look in the DIY section you will see one I made from a Keg. Welcome go the forum. 

Nigel 

Sorry, that home made grill was not Kamado style. Just regular charcoal grill. What I remember it burned the charcoal very hot so there was draft. Would probably need some iteration to add adjustable draft door or something if lower heat output needed.

1 minute ago, Corn said:

Sorry, that home made grill was not Kamado style. Just regular charcoal grill. What I remember it burned the charcoal very hot so there was draft. Would probably need some iteration to add adjustable draft door or something if lower heat output needed.

No worries. welcome and enjoy the forum I have learned a lot by reading the wealth of info on here

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late welcome but, welcome! Post some more of your cooks. The great thing about kamado's is that the weather can be quite adverse and still produce excellent results. And it doesn't require a heck of a lot of babysitting so it's possible to be enjoying hot cocoas while the the kamado does its thing.