tsh0ck

Honey Bourbon Wings & Pepperoni Pizza Thangs

Making it in just under the gun on this one ... 

Thought for a while about just what I'd pair with the wings. I've made some fantastic ABTs, adding in some chorizo, and thought about that.  But I wanted to do something new. I've never done wings, either, so figured let's make it an adventure all around. Ultimately, decided that pizza pairs with wings well. But a pizza is just a thang. And the instructions said I needed more than one. I needed thangs. So I adapted the idea and went with it. 

The wife and daughter aren't big on spice, so I walked the line with spiciness, adding enough sweet to make it work. That's why I went with honey - and bourbon? Well, why not? (Though now I'm sadly down to one last large shot in that bottle and I'm going to have to get a new one. Worth it.) Into some base bbq sauce, added honey, brown sugar, cayenne, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, bourbon and some Texas Pete's hot sauce. Combined and let it simmer, then set aside. 

IMG_3586.thumb.JPG.21c478b28b472d06cdda9885a076db21.JPG

For the wings, just added some basic rub to a bag, along with a bit more salt and then some corn starch. shook it up and got them all happy, then put on with some apple wood at about 225. They went for about 90 minutes or so. Cranked the heat, sauced them, and then dropped them back on for 10 minutes or so to set the glaze. 

IMG_3598.thumb.JPG.fcd645144ac2d6101ed7c7da14246642.JPG

IMG_3600.thumb.JPG.8664775f6967bca44e306b4aa0dadba4.JPG

The thangs ... super easy. Took some pizza dough, dropped in a pepperoni slice and some mozzarella, then balled em. Put them in a sprayed aluminum pie plate, brushed with garlic butter. Then divided each of them with a slice of pepperoni so that they didn't all cook together into one blob. (That wound up working like a charm when it came time to pull them apart!) little bit of parsley and then shredded cheese on top, and put it on until it started getting golden brown -- probably about 50-55 minutes or so. 

IMG_3589.thumb.JPG.e0fc3efd3d4e782c15ba49357cbaae6f.JPG

IMG_3590.thumb.JPG.abe4c7a2a3b7b78433708f90a7473467.JPG

IMG_3593.thumb.JPG.0a765607d908840a2e63652e905a8539.JPG

The plan was to have some Alabama white sauce made up as well, but I neglected to get either horseradish or lemon when I was at the store and so I nixed that and we just went basic barbarian and used ranch on paper plates. :)

IMG_3601.thumb.JPG.c05d73bafcce3fabf446db24ad254f98.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3587.JPG

Sacrificing your booze for a challenge cook.... well, my hat’s off to you!

Great looking cook - and awesome take on pizza!  Genius how you used the pepperoni dividers.  Can’t believe you haven’t done wings before either!!!!!  Gotta say - rollin’ barbarian on paper plates is pretty bomb... 

Hope your family enjoyed the cook as much as I did. 

2 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Sacrificing your booze for a challenge cook.... well, my hat’s off to you!

Great looking cook - and awesome take on pizza!  Genius how you used the pepperoni dividers.  Can’t believe you haven’t done wings before either!!!!!  Gotta say - rollin’ barbarian on paper plates is pretty bomb... 

Hope your family enjoyed the cook as much as I did. 

While food on sticks is a good thing ... wings just are too much work, generally, for so little meat. (Like antelope hunting!) They tasted great and may well do them again in a larger batch for a gathering, though. and the pizza bites were a big hit at well. The cheese held the whole thing together, but the pepperoni dividers did as hoped and there's a clean pull apart. 

the fam definitely devoured. and left a bucha bones and dirty dishes for me to clean ... gonna need that last shot here soon. :)

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Great cook. The pizza bites reminds me of pull apart pizza. Google it if you've never made it. Super easy weeknight cook. 

Looks like pretty much the same thing - might've been easier to go with the biscuit dough for sure. I thunk of it because my kiddo is always getting garlic knots when we decide to order in, so was a play on those. wasn't sure how they'd turn out on the akorn, but were delicious.