Third time's the charm?

fbov

First time: the ACE Hardware closeout deal last Fall; waited overnight before committing... and missed a KJ Classic.

Second time: Got a KJ Classic I from "Amazon Warehouse" without original packaging, but with a box to collect the pieces. 

Third time, I got the message and bought a NOS Big Joe I, in original packaging, and it's sensibly perfect. FINALLY!!

Most of the excitement came from the difficulty lifting the thing. My adult son and I used a nylon tow strap crossed under the body of the empty tub for purchase, and a third friend to manage the stand. I'd say "there's got to be a better way" but I can't see one. 

First fire going now; hit 550F in a few minutes... maybe the Akorn's losing its quick cooks, too. Yes, there will be pictures... and a profile update. 

HAving fun,

Frank

Woohoo!!!!!!  Congratulations!  My experience from moving my Big Joe with just my husband and I was, well, let's just say not pleasant and I was pretty impressed I didn't have a heart attack and die.  Really, one of my prouder moments... the not dying part.  LOL.

Can't wait to see the pictures - super excited for you!

I know we have the size debate time and time again, but I am totally in love with my Big Joe.  Plenty of space when I'm setup for a cook with both a direct and indirect zone.  It's a game changer for me... Wouldn't bother me a bit cooking one small tenderloin or chicken breast on it, but I'm weird like that...

Pics of interest, since everyone's seen a full-length shot. 

- No. 3's worst "shipping damage;" bracket wasn't bent

5ae9d068cc101_BJworstboxspot.thumb.jpg.ed3067a01e22d1bd7188536802e971e3.jpg

- And the lid has lots of small defects, this probably the worst, and right up front. Is this normal? It's not an issue...

5ae9d05a4aab1_BJdefect1.thumb.jpg.cac06a6aa50b042f5238b3a55985cbe1.jpg

And I now have a lonely 2-barrel... 

I lit a 225F fire at 23:30 last night. It just dropped to 200F on the grate for the second time in 11 hours, and opening vents isn't bringing it back, but who cares?  This is exactly what the Akorn would never do for me, and I see why. This thing gets hot, the Akorn doesn't. It also uses more fuel, which makes complete sense if it's not as well insulated. 

I now need to try a real cook (steak on cast iron doesn't count), and see how I like a divided fire bowl. I've got divide & conquer and the nice ash pan, with the old 2-piece fire bowl indented for the old 3-point grill. Perhaps there are fire bowl issues in my future, but that's the only other thing I wanted from the revised configuration. I like the old top vent, and great seal this lid gets. Gravity is our friend.

Have fun,

Frank 

So here's a question. I run thermometer probes, on the grill and in the top vent. The Akorn's dome thermometer, while accurate, never read the same as either of the others.

In the Big Joe, the dome is reading same as the exit vent. Assuming it's accurate, it means cooking temperature at the grill is a bit lower than indicated on the dome. 

Thoughts?

Frank

4 hours ago, fbov said:

Thoughts?

I think I don’t monitor my temps as much as you... that’s my only thought. But I don’t come from a BBQ background like many here do... I hope you find your answers.

I tend to light a fire and let it ride.... probably bites me from time to time... but I sure have fun. :)

Well... one answer is that anyone running a Big Joe at 230F on the dome is cooking closer to 200F on the grate. It certainly won't hurt your results... 

I didn't use a thermometer on the 2-barrel for years; I just set the intake vent so smoke was leaking out the edges. The dome thermometer was flat - no probe - so worthless. Then I stole the wife's candy thermometer and stuck it in the chimney. I haven't looked back. The Maverick unit is the first remote unit I've had that has proven reliable... or at least with sensible failure modes (respect the probes). 

Ironically, now that I'm retired and have the time to futz with stuff, I find reliability more valuable and less expensive than when I was working, and had more money and less time. I guess I don't like futzing... who knew?

Have fun,

Frank