Low and slow advice for an overnight cook

Looking to do a 9pd pork butt overnight for a low and slow on my BJ.  What is the desired temp I should shoot for.  Im looking to go through the night for a party the next day (avg 12-13hr).

I did a slow cook of a 9 pd pork butt for my first break in cook but it came out dry ( took 8hrs at 275/300). So Im looking to get it moist and juicy. 

Any advise and tips would be greatly recommended. 

Look at "How to Cook a Boston Butt" under Kamado  Cooking and Discussion. I think you will find that this cook by most,  is done at a much lower temp than you mentioned for better results. You can read why in the discussion

2 hours ago, Big Jits said:

Looking to do a 9pd pork butt overnight for a low and slow on my BJ.  What is the desired temp I should shoot for.  Im looking to go through the night for a party the next day (avg 12-13hr).

I did a slow cook of a 9 pd pork butt for my first break in cook but it came out dry ( took 8hrs at 275/300). So Im looking to get it moist and juicy. 

Any advise and tips would be greatly recommended. 

I try to stay around 250 degrees.  If your first was dry, I will bet it wasn’t quite done.  Like another mentioned, let it rest for at least an hour.

You simply can’t plan a time for pork butt. Stick with 250°-275°, it’s way more predictable, and take it to 205° internal. That’s when it’s done. If you finish early, wrap in foil, towels, and put in a cooler, it’ll stay hot for hours. 

I'm no expert but have done about 2 dozen and shoot for around 225-250 and figure ball park around 1.5 hr per pound but rely on probe temp of around 205 to pull it. I always let mine sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes and then wrap in 2 layers of foil and put in a cooler under an old beach towel for a couple of hours. also like Mike Echo said check out the sticky at the top of this forum, lots of good advice.

Now that most all choices have been nominated...

Be sure you're measuring the right temperature. I'd stick with 250-275F, if it's an exit temperatures, because I want to cook around 225F and know my grill temperature is about 220-230F at those exit temperatures. 

I'm breaking in a new Big Joe, and just finished a 12 hour "learning" burn with grill and exit vent temperature probes. Interestingly, the dome temperature on the BJ was the same as my exit vent probe when stablized. That got me thinking, if that's common in ceramic Kamados (I have an Akorn), perhaps folks running at 275 are getting a grill temp closer to 235, like I did. 

BTW, I'll recommend a 225F grill temperature based on years of Boston butts in a 2-barrel smoker, at a 250F exit temp. Target just over 200F internal temperature, like 205, and a nice long "rest" before serving. Part of the magic comes from a cooking temperature that's only a little higher than your target temperature. The outside doesn't get much hotter than the inside. It's why I got a BJ over the Akorn; it cooked too fast. 

HAve fun,

Frank

Thanks everyone for the replies its greatly appreciated!

As I stated earlier my first cook was a Butt (below is a pic of my first cook this was at the 1/2 way point).

5aeadf2686e6d_shoulder2.jpg.0fb7d2772210624e0ecaf1b9d4cf1562.jpg

After that "event" I started smaller and began working my way back up. I've done several pizzas (incredible crust and stringy cheese NY style 300-550 deg), several batches of wings (juiciest I've ever had and everyone loves), 3 beer can chickens (is through the roof with juice and tenderness that melts like butter 2.5 -3 hr 300-325) and 2 racks of pork ribs (they came out incredible and juicy but not fully tear from bone with one bite which I prefer 6 hrs 225).

Now I decided to venture back into the shoulder for a party on Saturday.  If that goes well my coupe de gras is a 30 pd brisket that I have (I am going to cook once I've gotten my head around the low and slow and comfort level)

What time is your party?  You can do a butt in 8 hours so if it's for dinner, start it in the morning.  Wrap it when internal temp is around 160-170.  Once you wrap it will be done in under 2 hours, and wrapping it will keep it moist.

If you are serving people early afternoon or at lunch, then yeah overnight is the way to go.

11 hours ago, Big Jits said:

... and 2 racks of pork ribs (cooked for) 6 hrs 225....

... (I am going to cook once I've gotten my head around the low and slow and comfort level)

You have a Big Joe II, I just went for a Big Joe I. I think we're both in for a lot of good meals!

If you can do 6 hours at 225, you're half way there; just add fuel. I did a 12-hour test burn, and after the first hour, didn't need to tend it until 6 hours, and again at 10 hours, with 200-250 alarm points. "Tending" was simply opening the top vent a little as wood ran out. I never had to lift the lid, even though you would tend the food in a real cook. It might go longer if I'd filled it all the way (i.e. cover holes, clear deflector). 

I do a pair of packer briskets every summer for a group picnic (formerly on a 2-barrel, this year on the Joe). I start in the evening, 6-8 pm, and hit it early with a lot of smoke. After about 6 hours, I wrap the meat tightly and reset the temperature (and add wood in the 2-barrel, not needed in the Joe), then go to bed. Wrapping reduces evaporation, so the meat's juicier and you can get away with leaving the meat in the grill overnight. The grill will eventually drop in temperature, but you'll still have 180F when you get up. I think it's where the practice of cooler-resting got its start. 

Now, my two briskets are going to cook quicker than a single 30 lb. piece of meat. Thermometers are your friend. I like to see it hit the stall before I wrap the meat and go to bed. The juice that comes off in the last 20-30F cooking temperature is pure gold. 

I need to stop talking about briskets and go cook one...

HAve fun,

Frank

All party was a SUCCESS!, My pulled pork butt was talk of the event! Put the butt in the BJ at 630pm (immediately after I slow cooked 3 full racks of ribs for 6hrs) and took it out at 630am the following morning. Wrapped it in tin foil and 2 towels, placed it in a cooler and wife pulled it out and apart at around 12pm (party was at 1). With that said next “Big cook” will be the 30pd brisket slated for our next event in June. 

Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pics totally slipped my mind due.