Jump to content

Donnie

Talk me into a $1,024 XL BGE or a $1,800 Kamado Joe Big Joe!

Recommended Posts

I need your help! I have been doing tons of research and I am down to either the XL Big Green Egg for $1,024 at my local dealer or the Kamado Joe Big Joe for $1,800. I know I would need to spend another $500 ish dollars for accessories for the BGE but it is still overall cheaper. The main thing I like about the Kamado Joe is the upgraded gasket, it seems like such a pain to worry about the felt gasket (maybe it's not that bad). The other features of the Kamado Joe are nice, but not that important to me like the ash tray and the air lift dome. I would love to hear your thought from both sides to try and help me decide. I really appreciate your help as I am excited to replace my pellet smoker and finally play with real fire! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you for the dealer info! I would definitely be interested in getting their info. Can I order online through them? Thanks for the link, I think I have watched that video three times now and I still am having hard time deciding. I am down to nit picking the material of the handle lol. I wish I could get a wooden Kamado Joe one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ImYoungxD said:

Take a look at this video and you decide.

 

I know an authorized dealer in TX who sells the big joe for $1710, free freight delivery and taxes only in TX if that's something you want to look at.

 

 

Opps, I think I should have replied this way...

 

Wow, thank you for the dealer info! I would definitely be interested in getting their info. Can I order online through them? Thanks for the link, I think I have watched that video three times now and I still am having hard time deciding. I am down to nit picking the material of the handle lol. I wish I could get a wooden Kamado Joe one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donnie,

 

I don't want this to devolve into a BGE vs Kamado Joe thread. (We do not want to be an "us vs them" kind of site)

 

BGE and Kamado Joe are both great brands and both have very loyal followings and you won't regret buying either one. You've already listed the differences in the price, the features and the accessories that are or aren't included. This is a personal decision you need to make between price and which features that are most important to you. Only you can truly make this decision. 

 

If the members want to include their experience with the brand they purchased, that is fine. (features liked or disliked) If I / we see anyone bashing another brand then this thread will be locked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DerHusker said:

Donnie,

 

I don't want this to devolve into a BGE vs Kamado Joe thread. (We do not want to be an "us vs them" kind of site)

 

BGE and Kamado Joe are both great brands and both have very loyal followings and you won't regret buying either one. You've already listed the differences in the price, the features and the accessories that are or aren't included. This is a personal decision you need to make between price and which features that are most important to you. Only you can truly make this decision. 

 

If the member want to include their experience with the brand they purchased then that is fine. (features liked or disliked) If I / we see anyone bashing another brand then this thread will be locked. 

Completely understandable as that is not what I wanted this to be either. I just wanted to hear opinions of the features and if they feel they added any value. I know you can't go wrong with either as I am down to looking at handle material. Either will be great just wanted a little more personal experience that wasn't a paid promotion before I drop $1,500 + dollars. If it gets out of hand please shut it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

I have to say that my PitBoss 24 (for less than $600) is looking more and more like a great purchase.

That is a great deal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Donnie said:

That is a great deal! 

I got into kamado cooking with a Vision grill which much like the PitBoss Grill although it was a little smaller in diameter. I've seen the PitBoss at Costco recently and have noticed that they've improved their quality. It is another fine choice to get into kamado cooking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Opps, I think I should have replied this way...

 

Wow, thank you for the dealer info! I would definitely be interested in getting their info. Can I order online through them? Thanks for the link, I think I have watched that video three times now and I still am having hard time deciding. I am down to nit picking the material of the handle lol. I wish I could get a wooden Kamado Joe one!

https://texasstargrillshop.com/collections/shop-all-grills/products/kamado-joe-big-joe-ii

At the Contact Info/Shipping Address page, put in "SPRINGSALE" in the discount area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At that price point they will be extremely similar in cost after you add in accessories and if you take the cheaper Joe deal.  You will also get pretty much the exact same results from everything I have seen posted here.  It is completely personal preference, but know that you cannot go wrong.  Have you cooked on a kamado before?

 

If you have not, I always recommend the Akorn because it is so much cheaper.  That is what I started with to see if I'd love kamado cooking (which I had no idea I would and that I would so so so much) and then less than a year later ended up buying a komado kamado. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, shuley said:

At that price point they will be extremely similar in cost after you add in accessories and if you take the cheaper Joe deal.  You will also get pretty much the exact same results from everything I have seen posted here.  It is completely personal preference, but know that you cannot go wrong.  Have you cooked on a kamado before?

 

If you have not, I always recommend the Akorn because it is so much cheaper.  That is what I started with to see if I'd love kamado cooking (which I had no idea I would and that I would so so so much) and then less than a year later ended up buying a komado kamado. 

I have not cooked on a Kamado before so that is a good idea. I am over my pellet smoker due to the lack of high heat. I am pretty certain I will be happier with a Kamado so I am willing to dive into the deep end for the BGE or KJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Donnie said:

I have not cooked on a Kamado before so that is a good idea. I am over my pellet smoker due to the lack of high heat. I am pretty certain I will be happier with a Kamado so I am willing to dive into the deep end for the BGE or KJ. 

Don’t get KK fever like me... you might regret it $4k later!!!  If I don’t post on here for a while, it’s cause I picked one up and my wife killed me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

Don’t get KK fever like me... you might regret it $4k later!!!  If I don’t post on here for a while, it’s cause I picked one up and my wife killed me.

Haha I have already been diagnosed and I don't have one yet! I do way more cooking/grilling (grill, wok, pizza) than I do smoking. From what I have seen I can get a better pizza than an oven, real high heat for the wok (vs oven burner), and a hell of sear vs my 500 degree pellet smoker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Content

    • By Dave Bradfute
      I'm gonna do some baby backs this weekend and would like to hear some opinions. 
       
      1. Temp. I'm thinking low and slow at about 225 to 250
      2. Time - wrapped vs. unwrapped. 5 1/2 hours ish?
       
      I used to do mine in a pellet with the 3-2-1 method, although for BB's I did 3-1-.5.
       
      Let me hear your methods and why.
       
    • By Smarris
      New to the forum and this would be my first post.  I recently purchase the KJ Classic Joe 3, and was hoping to find some plans to build a grill table.  I've done some searches, but I'm not sure if any of them would accommodate the Classic Joe 3.  If someone could point me in the right direction, I definitely would appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.
    • By Kamado_Rich
      Ok so I started my first pork butt cook with a pit temp of 275.  It is a 8 pound bone in pork but.  After 2 hours the internal meat temp is already 124!?!  Is this normal?  I was thinking at 275 I was looking at about an hour a pound?  I backed the pit down to 250.  Should I be worried or am I over thinking this?
    • By Smokingdadbbq
      If you haven't tried dry brined spatchcocked turkey before you're missing out... created a quick how to for those unfamiliar with any of the techniques.
       
      Still working out how to make videos so appreciate your candid feedback.... but not too candid lol jk 
       
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...