Donnie

Talk me into a $1,024 XL BGE or a $1,800 Kamado Joe Big Joe!

1 hour ago, Donnie said:

Thanks I will check it out! It says free shipping Texas, does the coupon code work for free shipping to other states? 

Yes the coupon and delivery works. I ordered from them and I live in NY. 

I'm not going to say which one I prefer but would give you this advise.  Try to get hands on with whichever your choices come down to.  When I was trying to decide it is what I chose to do.  To me the differences will stand out to you as what will definitely be the better choice for you then.  I'm not a fan of the Pit Boss, to me it just doesn't have the same fit and finish as your choices in your original question.

I have an XL BGE and I love it! My father in law has a Kamado Joe and loves it!  Like you said the KJ comes with more accessories and currently they seem to be making more improvements than BGE. You will love either one, and will soon be turning out some great food, good luck and enjoy !

@Donnie Not sure where you are, but shop that Kamado Joe price a bit harder.  $1800 is what you can get it for, delivered, from bbqguys.com and should be considered the top of the price range.  See the dealers page at KamadoJoe.com for dealers in your area.

For comparison, here Atlanta Grill Company sells the Big Joe for $1500, which is also the price you can get it for from Costco during a Kamado Joe Roadshow event.  See https://atlantagrillcompany.com/ and https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

As for comparisons -- you already know about the a la carte BGE vs the all-in KJ philosophy.  Both will produce good food.  For me, in comparing the two, it really came down to the hinge.  The XL BGE lid is noticeably heavy to lift up.  The KJ Big Joe is effortless.  Easy of use is worth something to me.  

Don't think about it too hard. Just make a decision and pull the trigger.  The new hinge is sweet, though. 

54 minutes ago, gpb said:

@Donnie Not sure where you are, but shop that Kamado Joe price a bit harder.  $1800 is what you can get it for, delivered, from bbqguys.com and should be considered the top of the price range.  See the dealers page at KamadoJoe.com for dealers in your area.

For comparison, here Atlanta Grill Company sells the Big Joe for $1500, which is also the price you can get it for from Costco during a Kamado Joe Roadshow event.  See https://atlantagrillcompany.com/ and https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

As for comparisons -- you already know about the a la carte BGE vs the all-in KJ philosophy.  Both will produce good food.  For me, in comparing the two, it really came down to the hinge.  The XL BGE lid is noticeably heavy to lift up.  The KJ Big Joe is effortless.  Easy of use is worth something to me.  

Wow $1,500 is a great deal, I only heard of that pricing at the Costco Roadshow but unfortunately none are coming my way. Do you know if they ship to FL? 

You really can't go wrong with either grill, they are both great poducts and your food will come out the same. One thing I would point out is the big difference in warranty between them. Unless they have changed recently, he BGE company will void your warranty if you use any non BGE products in your grill. This was the deciding factor for me when I got my Big Joe.

38 minutes ago, prowe said:

Don't think about it too hard. Just make a decision and pull the trigger.  The new hinge is sweet, though. 

It looks like I have been shopping the higher price point people for the KJ. I know I will be perfectly happy with either! The new gasket is the main selling point for me. How is that holding up? 

10 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Wow $1,500 is a great deal, I only heard of that pricing at the Costco Roadshow but unfortunately none are coming my way. Do you know if they ship to FL? 

As for Atlanta Grill Company shipping, you'll need to talk to them.  I drive by on my way to work so I've never had to have them ship anything.  :)  

Call your local Costco and ask about future roadshow dates.  They have a longer schedule, but only publish the upcoming 5-6 weeks it seems.  I remember seeing some FL options earlier this year.  I was able to call a Costco here in March and find out about local May and June dates before they were on the website.

Or consider a road trip to ATL...  Think of it as a culinary trip, enjoy some BBQ on the way.  

20 minutes ago, Donnie said:

I just got one. It's a 2016 model, the old design top vent, hinge and firebox, but with Divide & Conquer. I liked the old hinge and vent, and the fire box is warrantied (already placed a claim for a crack). This lid seals!

And these guys shipped it properly... that matters. 

Comparing with BGE, the big difference is flexibility. Ceramic grill supports only go in one way, while the ability to divide the unit is very useful in a large cooker. I can also move a hot metal frame more easily than a ceramic support. Otherwise... 

Keep in mind I've never used a BGE... 

Frank

19 minutes ago, gpb said:

As for Atlanta Grill Company shipping, you'll need to talk to them.  I drive by on my way to work so I've never had to have them ship anything.  :)  

Call your local Costco and ask about future roadshow dates.  They have a longer schedule, but only publish the upcoming 5-6 weeks it seems.  I remember seeing some FL options earlier this year.  I was able to call a Costco here in March and find out about local May and June dates before they were on the website.

Or consider a road trip to ATL...  Think of it as a culinary trip, enjoy some BBQ on the way.  

I just called and unfortunately they do not ship at the $1,500 price point. They will ship directly from Kamado Joe for the $1,899 price. I am 8 hours away so it's not worth the price difference after someone sent me a link for $1,709 shipped.

27 minutes ago, Donnie said:

I just called and unfortunately they do not ship at the $1,500 price point. They will ship directly from Kamado Joe for the $1,899 price. I am 8 hours away so it's not worth the price difference after someone sent me a link for $1,709 shipped.

Yeah, makes sense given that you'd also pay 7.75% sales tax on that in-store $1500 price.  $1709 to your door is good, maybe $100 more than what you'd pay after tax at a roadshow depending on your local rate.

My other suggestion is see if you can find a place that is a dealer for both BGE and KJ so you can check the two out "side by side" -- doing that helped me decide which way to go.

Finally, depending on your urgency to buy, note that KJ HQ is in Atlanta and they occasionally have warehouse sales of returned/repaired/demo units which come with full warranty and can be priced a fair bit lower.  Others with direct experience with a KJ HQ sale will have to provide details, I haven't been to one.  Ask around at the "Kamado Joe Grilling, Smoking and more" facebook group

I bought the bge because the dealer is literally across the street from my house. I really wanted the joe to be honest.  Me and two other friends bought them at the same time so we were able to negotiate on the price also.   This was about three years ago before bge had their own dividing sytem.  Ive never had any warranty issues so I cant help there.  Something about that red kamado joe still makes me wish but my bge has been a great purchase. 

7 hours ago, Donnie said:

It looks like I have been shopping the higher price point people for the KJ. I know I will be perfectly happy with either! The new gasket is the main selling point for me. How is that holding up? 

My KJ classic with the new gasket....new gasket holding up fine.  BJ with old gasket...mmmm...kind of torn up.   Still I don’t think a gasket is a deciding factor. Like tires on a car (or Jeep Wrangler) 

my BKK has an awesome gasket from years ago btw.