Sign in to follow this  
PeteHr

First cook on the cast iron griddle

I recently treated myself to a cast iron plancha/griddle for my Monolith. Today I did the first cook with it, after seasoning it. 

The griddle was heated up to around 550 (dome temp), and then a nice Cote de Boeuf went on for about 4 minutes a side:

Cote1.thumb.JPG.0e8ad42b1b2fb709f835280c2f6eed28.JPG

This then got about another 10 minutes (indirect) at about 300 in the gasser (where I had some potatoes baking) and then I griddled some Aubergine and Courgette slices which had been brushed with EVO and seasoned. I also did Asparagus the same way (but as this had been steamed for a few minutes then it went on later).

Cote2.thumb.JPG.d6a762223583f8b8a64d445acc4874ab.JPGThe

The beef was wrapped and rested for a further 10 minutes, and was wonderful - nice and rare with a beautiful sear/crust on it (sorry no more pictures, my hunger took over !)

The Aubergine and courgette were a bit greasy for my taste - I think they soaked up the fat that had come off the beef. The Asparagus was spot on.

Overall I'm really pleased with the griddle - it certainly retains the heat once up to temperature.  It's reversible so I have a nice flat Plancha on the other side ready to try some other favourites over the coming days !

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By HokieOC
      I have the cast iron griddle for my KJ and have used it on the top position.  I'd like to try steaks seared on the lower position, or pork chops like in John's new video.  But with CI, especially at high searing temps, wouldn't not only the temp but proximity to the fire burn the seasoning off?
    • By michaelt
      Anyone ever hear of the Royal Gourmet® Pro 6-Burner Gas Griddle GB6000? It looks like the Blackstone but has 6 burners instead of 4 and it is quite a bit longer at 44 inches giving a total of 860 square inches. A lot of other specs look similar. It's also better looking IMO, more in line with the Blackstone stainless model.

Any guys who have one or a griddle want to weigh in on the design choices?

I've been looking at the Blackstone or Camp Chef for a while but can't decide and now there is another contender :(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FT1NDGW/ref=asc_df_B01FT1NDGW4997843/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01FT1NDGW&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167125192708&hvpos=1o17&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11754414413997577919&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027201&hvtargid=pla-307221976747#Ask
    • By Smokehowze
      Fitting A Reversible Cast Iron Grill/Griddle in the Blackstone Oven

I wanted to do a cook on the Blackstone Patio Oven that would best be done on a cast iron grill/griddle.  Pulled out my Academy Sports 14 inch reversible round grill/griddle and checked the fit.  While the round part is indeed 14 inches and an easy fit,  the ear tabs on either side of the griddle cause the overall dimension to extend a bit beyond 17 inches.  Too wide for setting it on the Blackstone turn table and having it rotate without hitting the interior metal shroud. Need to be more like 16 inches.

This is the reversible cast iron grill/griddle I am referring too.  An excellent unit for you Kamado and now the Blackstone – especially for the price.  

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

So we can fix this situation – that is why we have power tools.  Grunt. Grunt.    A bit of work with a bi-metal blade in the reciprocating saw and some finish dressing work with the air tool die grinder and all is good.  The overall dimensions on are now just under 16 inches and full clearance is obtained in the Blackstone.  And we still have some useful  lifting tabs left.  A few photos shows it all….

A bit too wide – that is a 16 inch pizza pan underneath.  The Blackstone stone is diameter is about 16 3/8 inches.  A bit of blue painters tape marks the demarcation point and shows what we need to remove.  That is the lower stone from the Blackstone in the next photo.

Time to put the tools to work and check the resulting fit.

Now, let’s put it into action for dinner.

A few swordfish steaks..

Cook on!

• By Mr Cue
      You guys/gals have been killing the smash burgers, I couldn't compete using my electric griddle inside so my Mrs. picked me up a half-moon griddle for Big Joe. I followed the method found in the article from SeriousEats and went from there. No oil on the griddle, dome temp about 450, raked the lump under the griddle plate and smashed with a non-slotted SS spatula. I scaled 2 oz balls of 80/20 Chuck that was ground yesterday at my local grocer, lightly formed the ball into a patty, and took them to the Joe. Put the patty down, smash for 15 seconds in a circular motion, scrape after about 30-45 seconds, flip, add cheese, put another flipped patty on the cheese'd patty, cook about 15 seconds, pull.
      http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html
      BEST. BURGER. EVVVVVER!!!

• By wallawu
      I'd like to start cooking breakfast on the Akorn to keep the A/C bill down this summer.  My kitchen turns into a hot box with the oven on, or just a burner or two.  So, I have a few questions.  

First, can the coals create enough heat with the top open to get the griddle/skillet hot enough to cook bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, etc.?
      If so, is cast iron the best choice for this, or is there another material that would work better?

Second, this seems like a good deal with all you get, even with it not being on sale:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-cast-iron-cookware-set-in-a-box/pid-27891?color=Black&N=837681303&Ntt=griddle&Ntk=All#

I don't really need the corn cooker because it's pointless and I don't like corn very much anyway.  Still, the griddle, grill pan, skillet, and dutch oven for $69.99 + ~$20 shipping seems like a good deal since buying separately would easily be over $100.  Am I wrong here?