Donnie

New Kamado Joe! Soapstone or Cast Iron half moon?

I'm sure this has been on this forum before, but I didn't see it in the search. Is the soapstone worth paying about double for? I did some research and it looks like the main advantages are higher temps than CI and no seasoning. If I go with the Soapstone, do I have to worry about it cracking if I get it to 1000 degrees? I would love to hear your opinion on both of these products. Thanks for your time! 

I plan on getting a soapstone this spring for my KJC.  I have one that I have been eyeing for some time that is fairly priced.

http://www.sparqhome.com/products/Details.aspx?p=1366091&c=4761&g=

To add to that, I do not plan on getting it anywhere near 1000.  Maybe I am missing the benefit of getting it that high, but why go over 550?

Just looked into this... the soapstone needs seasoning like CI for use, but won't rust if you don't.

Soapstone also holds heat better; stone both heats slowly and cools slowly. Cooking steaks on cast iron, I always reserve hot space on the plancha for the second side. Underneath the meat, the iron cools enough I can't get the same sear on the second side by just turning in place. I need to keep part of the cook surface hot, by keeping it unused. I want to try KJ's soapstone plancha, to see how much it matters. 

As to temperatures, remember what you're measuring. It's easy to have a 1000F cooking surface above the fire, while air temperature is half that. Radiant heat has little impact on air temperature, and a huge one on surfaces. For steak, the plancha is placed for direct heating to high temperature; for pizza, it's indirect, so closer to air temperature. How hot do you think the heat deflector gets when running at 600F on the dome thermometer?

Have fun,

Frank

8 hours ago, fbov said:

As to temperatures, remember what you're measuring. It's easy to have a 1000F cooking surface above the fire, while air temperature is half that. Radiant heat has little impact on air temperature, and a huge one on surfaces. For steak, the plancha is placed for direct heating to high temperature; for pizza, it's indirect, so closer to air temperature. How hot do you think the heat deflector gets when running at 600F on the dome thermometer?

Have fun,

Frank

great point, thanks for pointing that out.

22 hours ago, fbov said:

Just looked into this... the soapstone needs seasoning like CI for use, but won't rust if you don't.

Soapstone also holds heat better; stone both heats slowly and cools slowly. Cooking steaks on cast iron, I always reserve hot space on the plancha for the second side. Underneath the meat, the iron cools enough I can't get the same sear on the second side by just turning in place. I need to keep part of the cook surface hot, by keeping it unused. I want to try KJ's soapstone plancha, to see how much it matters. 

Have fun,

Frank

I appreciate the info! How do you season the soapstone,? I have never heard of this and I have one on the way!

On 5/7/2018 at 6:30 AM, Bgosnell151 said:

I plan on getting a soapstone this spring for my KJC.  I have one that I have been eyeing for some time that is fairly priced.

http://www.sparqhome.com/products/Details.aspx?p=1366091&c=4761&g=

To add to that, I do not plan on getting it anywhere near 1000.  Maybe I am missing the benefit of getting it that high, but why go over 550?

I bought that stone and it cracked after the 2nd use, It is not very thick and its made to be used as a Pizza Stone, the instructions that come with it says not for use over direct flame so if your intending on using it for searing I wouldn't buy it 

2 minutes ago, JaxxQ said:

I bought that stone and it cracked after the 2nd use, It is not very thick and its made to be used as a Pizza Stone, the instructions that come with it says not for use over direct flame so if your intending on using it for searing I wouldn't buy it 

Thanks for the feedback.

18 hours ago, JaxxQ said:

You bought the pizza stone or the soapstone?  They are 2 different products.  I agree the pizza stone should not be used over direct heat and will probably crack without a heat deflector but the main purpose of the soap stone is to act as a deflector.cooking surface and needs direct heat.

56 minutes ago, UTVol said:

You bought the pizza stone or the soapstone?  They are 2 different products.  I agree the pizza stone should not be used over direct heat and will probably crack without a heat deflector but the main purpose of the soap stone is to act as a deflector.cooking surface and needs direct heat.

I think he's referring to the pizza stone made from soapstone in the link he quoted.  I suspect it has different qualities than the half-moon soapstone from KJ which is intended for grilling (and I think it's supposed to sit on a grate for support). 

6 hours ago, redrob2 said:

Just curious, has anyone used a soapstone countertop remnant for cooking?  Thought about checking out some local stone shops to see what might be available. 

I'm interested in finding an answer to this question also.  I've thought about doing the same thing.

56 minutes ago, UTVol said:

OK gotcha...sorry, missed the link.  I got confused because I thought the OP was referring to the KJ soaptone.

Yep, that's what I figured -- easy to do in this context.  When one is one and the other is too.  :)

Given the extreme environment where these stones are used, I'm willing to spend a bit extra for reliability. And they're seasoned with oil, just like cast iron. Soapstone is soft, but not porous. 

Have fun,

Frank, who's just reporting on his research.