Sign in to follow this  
540perry

Replacement thermometer ideas?

Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't see it in my search.

Has anyone found a good replacement dome thermometer that fits the existing 2" bezel? I'd like to replace the stock unit if possible.

Thanks.

Remember, the dome thermometer reads the temperature at the end of its little probe - but what is important is the grate temp. If you think about it, its kind of wrong to expect the dome thermometer to tell you the grate temperature especially if its a pos bimetallic.

I am just 2 weeks into ownership of the the CGK. I like it a lot, I think its' going to do some great low'n'slow cooks and I already know it sears a great steak.

I've been using a WSM for 7 years. I had installed a dome thermo (my model didn't have one), and discovered that the grate temp & dome temp would equalize 30 minutes into an indirect cook. I did experiment with a TruTemp electronic, but quit since the dome thermo was doing the job.

I did an indirect chicken cook on the CGK today, and wound up overcooking it a bit, which makes me believe either:

* The thermodynamics of the CGK are way different from the WSM, or

* The dome thermo was giving me a low reading (maybe 25-50 off?)

So I figured I'd try it with a good dome thermo first to see what's up. I'm not opposed to drilling the thermo port larger to accommodate a better gauge, if I can't find one that fits the bezel.

Mike

Mike - I don't know of a single good dome thermometer, not one. Don't throw your money away. If you're serious about good BBQ, please get a good dual probe electronic thermometer with temp alarms! I don't know of very many kamado cooks that ever trust their dome thermometers.

Oh, btw, if you insist on using bimetallics, you do know you should calibrate that thermometer, right? There's a sticky on how to calibrate you should be able to find using the search function.

Mike - I don't know of a single good dome thermometer, not one. Don't throw your money away. If you're serious about good BBQ, please get a good dual probe electronic thermometer with temp alarms! I don't know of very many kamado cooks that ever trust their dome thermometers.

Oh, btw, if you insist on using bimetallics, you do know you should calibrate that thermometer, right? There's a sticky on how to calibrate you should be able to find using the search function.

ill second that, I own many smokers and dont trust the bimetallic thermometers on any of them. Maverick makes a single probe one you can pick up for about 35$ that moniters both the meat IT and the grate temp or a remote one with dual probes you can watch while in the house for more money..The dome one on my Akorn is consistently 70-100 degrees different than the actual temp where the foods sitting.

The only smoker I have that I actually use the dome thermometers on is one i built and set the thermometers at grate level on, and even with two of those at grate level I still stick a digital one in the meat in between em to make sure theyre staying close to accurate.

My dome thermometer on my Akorn was about 40-50 off from my Party-Q on my first cook. Teh next cook I did with it the dome was only 10-15 off. Since then it has stayed at about that 10-15 range. Not bad in my opinion but I still go by the Party-Q.

My dome temps and Mav732 temps on my vision really vary from cook to cook. First, I don't really bother comparing the two until 20 minutes or so have passed, and the ceramic dome gets heat soaked. Sometimes they are within 10-15 degrees of each other, other times they are 30-40 degrees off. I have found that if either the Mav or the Dome probe gets too gummed up with soot, it throws their temp way off. You tend not to notice it with your dome probe, but the probe prolly had an 8th inch of crap built up on it, I took a ss scouring pad and got it good and clean. Took the Mav probes into the house and cleaned them very good in the sink with soap and a plastic scouring pad. Temps seem much more in sync now.

I try to check both and not rely too heavily on one over the other. I have had cooks where the Mav just shot up to 450+ degrees, while the dome read 275. I could tell by sight and feel that the temp was no 450+ so I went with the dome. I think this occurred when the Mav probe got too dirty.

Does Maverick make any High temp probes that will go 400 and beyond? I have the ET-73 and I think it is only rated up to maybe the low 400's so I am not sure if my dome therm is still 25-30 low at the higher temps as it is the low. You would think after all these years they could have come up with a dome therm a little better haha.

Does Maverick make any High temp probes that will go 400 and beyond? I have the ET-73 and I think it is only rated up to maybe the low 400's so I am not sure if my dome therm is still 25-30 low at the higher temps as it is the low. You would think after all these years they could have come up with a dome therm a little better haha.

I also use the ET-73 and it goes to LLL at about 410 degrees. I just trust my dome thermometer to be about 25 degrees low after that point. But to answer your question YES the newer Mavericks go to much higher temp readings.

The dome is not the grate and will often have a 20 to 50 degree difference. that said --if the thermometer reads accurate and is consistent--then it can be a nice reference. The one on my KJ is all I use.

Tel-Tru is generally accepted as the best and is what i have read is on the Komodo Kamado.

They list a model that as a 2 inch diameter dial, is 1/4 stem diameter, and is 2 1/2 inches long.  It reads  150 to 750. That should be a good replacement.

item number BBQ225.

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

The dome is not the grate and will often have a 20 to 50 degree difference. that said --if the thermometer reads accurate and is consistent--then it can be a nice reference. The one on my KJ is all I use.

Tel-Tru is generally accepted as the best and is what i have read is on the Komodo Kamado.

They list a model that as a 2 inch diameter dial, is 1/4 stem diameter, and is 1 1/2 inches long.  It reads  150 to 750. That should be a good replacement.

item number BBQ225.

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Thanks Marty! on the stem length did you mean 2 1/2 inches long?