Sign in to follow this  
540perry

Replacement thermometer ideas?

Funny this topic was on top. I was just going to mention that my first weekend adventure (although it turned our I over-cooked Ribs, yes...overcooked) was a learning experience. 

My dome thermometer was 10 degrees lower than my electronics (I have 2 units, a char-broil single and the Famili Dual probe) below 300 degrees. 

Once I was done with the low and slow I cranked up the vents, and the dome started to wander about 50 degrees short of the electronic probes. Although as someone else mentioned, I was measuring grate temperature with the electronics and dome temperature with the dome thing, so there is going to be a difference anyway. 

The Famili is $50 on Amazon - and it seems to be about 3* accurate when compared to my other thermometers. 

Also the TipTop came in, so I'll give that a try during the weekend. 

The dome is not the grate and will often have a 20 to 50 degree difference. that said --if the thermometer reads accurate and is consistent--then it can be a nice reference. The one on my KJ is all I use.

Tel-Tru is generally accepted as the best and is what i have read is on the Komodo Kamado.

They list a model that as a 2 inch diameter dial, is 1/4 stem diameter, and is 1 1/2 inches long.  It reads  150 to 750. That should be a good replacement.

item number BBQ225.

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx

Thanks Marty! on the stem length did you mean 2 1/2 inches long?

YES--just fixed that.

NOTE

The Tel-Tru thermometer  BQ225 that i linked to above arrived today.

DOES NOT fit the metal  bezel that comes with the AKORN. It is just a little to big to set down in.

FURTHER the screw shoulder depth does not fit  the AKORN  with out the bezel because of the distance between the two shells. No threads show to lock it in place.

Sorry for recommending bad info. On paper it looked good.

I can not edit what i posted previously so I hope anyone thinking of doing this reads this.

NOTE

DOES NOT fit the metal  bezel that comes with the AKORN. It is just a little to big to set down in.

FURTHER the screw shoulder depth does not fit  the AKORN  with out the bezel because of the distance between the two shells. No threads show to lock it in place.

I can not edit what i posted previously so I hope anyone thinking of doing this reads this.

You had me wondering. I thought you would probably need the LT225R model for a Kamado.

NOTE

You had me wondering. I thought you would probably need the LT225R model for a Kamado.

Yes you need something that allows for a thick shell. The original is 2 1/2 long but has longer attachment threads.

The thing is it does not list the length of the threaded area on the web site--only the over all probe length.

So going by your correct --I believe theory--- that it should be a Kamado one---the new probe will stick in an extra inch  at 31/2.

The gauge will also not fit the original surround if it is the same as the BQ225 in gauge diameter. The stock gauge diameter is 2 1/16 inches and the Tel-Tru is about 2 3/32. It just misses fitting.

OK one more time since i can not edit my second post now.

I have had an AKORN for many years and always wanted to change the gauge. I am now lending it to a friend and decided to upgrade the gauge.

I recommended theTel-Tru BBQ 225 as having the same length and a 150 to 750 temp range and the dial diameter was listed as the same as the stock one. It came and the wing nut threads are buried in the shell and the dial is too big to fit the stock trim.

The ones listed as made for a Kamado are often referenced as a direct and identical in construction replacement for the BGE.

The closest to the  AKORN stock unit is the LT225R which reads 150 to 750. Note none of the Kamado style replacement gauges are screw mounted. They are all spring clip mounted.

So I decided to mount the one I have with a spring clip. Note the hole is way oversized for even the really fat stock gauge and the oversized hole is just loosely covered by the wing nut.

I decided to use stainless washers to cover the opening and it probably will work about as well as the way it came.

It appears that there is some leakage with the stock gauge also. The extra inch in length  with the Tel-Tru Kamado unit probably is an advantage with  the spring clip attachment.

So now at least you know what you have available from Tel-Tru.

subcat_bge_rep.jpg

This has been in storage for a while and will be cleaned up.

P1010544.jpg

This is before i used the washers

P1010543.jpg

these washers seal the hole nicely

P1010546.jpg

You can see that the stock has a much bigger diameter

P1010545.jpg

even being bigger there is still a good gap

P1010540.jpg

P1010541.jpg

http://www.teltru.com/s-136-big-green-egg-primo-komodo-grill-dome-or-other-kamado-style-replacement-thermometer.aspx

Hmmm. Photobucket usually works for me so I grabbed a IMG from your pics to see if it will work here.

I have my Akorn running right now and it was 30 degrees low when I started this morning. At about 3 hours in I noticed that the Maverick and dome were within 5 degrees of each other. I assume that it takes the Akorn a while to heat soak.

P1010544.jpg

Hmmm. Photobucket usually works for me so I grabbed a IMG from your pics to see if it will work here.

I have my Akorn running right now and it was 30 degrees low when I started this morning. At about 3 hours in I noticed that the Maverick and dome were within 5 degrees of each other. I assume that it takes the Akorn a while to heat soak.

P1010544.jpg

I finally got it figured out. I did not want such a big picture so I copied the thumb nail and that would not go. I just do not post pictures all that often. Once I copied the full size picture it works fine.

YES I agree----  my gauge always read almost identical to the grate after it was locked on a temp for about 30 minutes.

It was always a quite a bit slow to respond and I  used a grate probe to make my adjustments.

That worked just fine and eventually the two would match.

After using the Big Joe I soon realized that the stock  Akorn gauge does not respond very quickly but after a time delay it was accurate.

With the one I had--the delay was big enough that if i used the gauge to hit temp I was basically was blind when hitting the temp I wanted.

This would cause me to adjust to a place that was eventually going to show up on the gauge but not soon enough to use the gauge  to set the temp.

I do wonder if this is the cause of so many Akorn beginners  chasing their temps. Thus the advice--- wait 1/2 hour before making an adjustment or learn the setting openings and after the fire is well lit set to your desired temp and don't touch it.

The Akorn is a fine cooker and I have made a lot of awesome food on it.

As I said I always wanted to put a more responsive gauge in it. If i were a machinist--I would mill a sleeve to center in the hole and fill the gap.

Have you checked your stock thermometer to make sure it even needs replacement?

As others have pointed out, there should be a difference between the temperature at the grate vs the temperature in the dome.

When I assembled my Akorn last week, I checked it for accuracy (as recommended in the manual) by checking high and low temperatures in my oven.

You can see in the attached photo that my oven temp, the stock thermometer, my PartyQ, an infrared thermometer, and my ThermaQ (not pictured) all agreed at 450° and at 220°

Yes, the stock one shows a higher temp in the dome than at the grate, but thats ok, and doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

post-12038-0-86682700-1467983686_thumb.j

Have you checked your stock thermometer to make sure it even needs replacement?

As others have pointed out, there should be a difference between the temperature at the grate vs the temperature in the dome.

When I assembled my Akorn last week, I checked it for accuracy (as recommended in the manual) by checking high and low temperatures in my oven.

You can see in the attached photo that my oven temp, the stock thermometer, my PartyQ, an infrared thermometer, and my ThermaQ (not pictured) all agreed at 450° and at 220°

Yes, the stock one shows a higher temp in the dome than at the grate, but thats ok, and doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

My stock thermometer has always been accurate just slow to get there or register the true temp in its dome position--- as compared to the Big Joe. It is the lag that I do not like. Also--YES on coming to temp there is on mine a 50 degrees temp difference between the top gauge and the grate as measured by probe. 

Eventually on a cook over a long time--the grate prob and dome gauge are with in a few degrees. Often they would be with in 1 degree.  With a grate probe I could watch the temp go up 5 or 6 degrees and the dome wold not even move one degree. As the heat builds on the BJ I can watch the gauge continually move.  It responds very quickly.

If you use a grate thermometer then there is no need to worry about the dome thermometer at all. After all it is the grate where we cook.

I certainly do not advocate changing the stock thermometer if you are happy with it. I just find it useless in hitting temp with out over shooting. The Akorn can be unforgiving if you over shoot. I cooked for about two years and just relied on the grate probe. The food was always excellent.

Here's to happy and successful cooks any way that works for each individual. Do what makes you happy.

i use the igrill and i love it.  I have 3 food probes and the ambient probe.  my kids got it for me last year and I'm still learning to use all of its functions, but i started cooking right out of the box.

On 3/24/2013 at 9:50 PM, dewy said:

ill second that, I own many smokers and dont trust the bimetallic thermometers on any of them. Maverick makes a single probe one you can pick up for about 35$ that moniters both the meat IT and the grate temp or a remote one with dual probes you can watch while in the house for more money..The dome one on my Akorn is consistently 70-100 degrees different than the actual temp where the foods sitting.

The only smoker I have that I actually use the dome thermometers on is one i built and set the thermometers at grate level on, and even with two of those at grate level I still stick a digital one in the meat in between em to make sure theyre staying close to accurate.

Green egg and a few others have dual probe remote thermometers that are a total game changers for around 50 bucks.  One probe for the food, one for just above the grill surface where you Really want to see the temp. After that the gauge on the hood of the grill becomes a good a reference. 

On 1/13/2019 at 1:15 PM, PennHead said:

I know this is an old thread but the thermometer in my Akorn Jr just crapped out and I found DOZYANT BBQ Barbecue Charcoal Grill Pit Wood Smoker Temperature Gauge Grill Pit Thermometer   on amazon. 

The Dozyant fits and is fairly accurate.  I use the Maverick if I need a precise temp but generally I don't do long low and slow cooks on Jr so I don't really need the temp to be perfect.  

On 3/24/2013 at 3:55 PM, 540perry said:

Sorry if this has been covered, I didn't see it in my search.

Has anyone found a good replacement dome thermometer that fits the existing 2" bezel? I'd like to replace the stock unit if possible.

Thanks.

I gave up on the dome I don't find it to be accurate also it's not at the cooking level. I bought a good dual probe wireless unit with a clip so I can clip one probe to the cooking surface and the other in meat as needed. 

The key with the akorn is to close vents down slowly but BEFORE desired temp.