Sign in to follow this  
vesh

Is there a cheaper alternative to the Kick Ash Basket?

I will be getting my new Joe Classic here in a weeks time. I really would like to just start out with the basket from the get so getting to know my Joe is a one-time ordeal! However, $90 for the basket is just a bit steep for me! Is there anything out there that will get the job done for significantly less? Say $20-25? Just don't feel $90 is what that basket should cost and it's a hard pill to swallow after spending so much on the Joe itself! 

Not exactly.

You can improve the air flow and reduce ash clogging by replacing the cast iron firebox piece with a small charcoal grate (like Weber or Charbroil).

You won't get the convenience of easier cleaning, but for ~ 1/5th the price its a minor inconvenience.

I have the KAB for my Big Joe. It's nice, but I'm right there with you on the cost to benefit equation.

No doubt, it is a bit steep, but I figured I was willing to lay out $1100 for the grill, so what the hell, in for a penny so to speak. It works great and should have a long life based upon the construction and materials. 

I certainly can understand where you are coming from.  But I can also say to buy once, cry once.

I have one of the original ones for my Primo, the new ones are made out of stainless which should make them that much better.  I would definitely get one again if something ever happen to mine.  All the points of having one posted in previous threads make it worth the entry cost to me.

I'm sure they are very nice, but I cook on my KJ Classic 4-5 times per week and I don't have one.  So take your time, save up, and get one when you are ready to.  You may find out that you don't really desire one.  Maybe someday I will pull the trigger, but to me, there are much more pressing things that I want.

soapstone

extender rack

burger press

Joe-tisserie

Komodo Kamado

I can keep going if you would like.  Again, I bet they are nice to have, but far from necessary.

For less than $20 you can get most of the benefit with this fire grate https://www.amazon.com/onlyfire-Stainless-Charcoal-Kamado-Classic/dp/B01N4EPPX6

You just won't be able to pick it up and shake it out, but that shouldn't be a problem as the ash easily falls through without even really doing anything.

Didn't realize until now that they went to just SS versions increasing the cost.  I have their baskets for both my Classic and Jr and wouldn't do without them mainly because they have become part of my routine.  I really like being able to remove all the charcoal from the fire box after cooking so I can do a more thorough clean up.  Additionally it allows me to easily use the same partially used charcoal in other cookers. It is a small mom and pop operation.  When I got mine for my Classic there was a waiting list and I was very impressed with the service they provided in keeping me posted and eventually waiving the shipping charge because of the wait. That said, I sure wish they would offer both the original as well as the SS to give two price alternatives. That is a good $30-40 price increase.  If you check around online you might be able to find a grill place with the old one still on hand. 

11 hours ago, benniesdad said:

That said, I sure wish they would offer both the original as well as the SS to give two price alternatives. That is a good $30-40 price increase.  If you check around online you might be able to find a grill place with the old one still on hand. 

Yeah, I remember when they switched to the SS version.

Prior to the switch, everyone was saying KAB needed to offer a SS version and then as soon as it was announced the same people were complaining how expensive it was, SMH

8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yeah, I remember when they switched to the SS version.

Prior to the switch, everyone was saying KAB needed to offer a SS version and then as soon as it was announced the same people were complaining how expensive it was, SMH

I thougt it was different peeps. Maybe im mistaken.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, Bgosnell151 said:

I'm sure they are very nice, but I cook on my KJ Classic 4-5 times per week and I don't have one.  So take your time, save up, and get one when you are ready to.  You may find out that you don't really desire one.  Maybe someday I will pull the trigger, but to me, there are much more pressing things that I want.

soapstone

extender rack

burger press

Joe-tisserie

Komodo Kamado

I can keep going if you would like.  Again, I bet they are nice to have, but far from necessary.

A KK ? Dude you kicking ash with that Joe...why a KK?   ( yeah, i know, they are mint)