Well completed my first cook on my Big Joe. They were some 1 to 1 1/2 in bone in pork chops. I smoked them around 250 until they reached about 130 internally. Then i put some brown sugar glaze on them and tried to get a nice sear in a pan. The flavor came out pretty good. Think i might have overcooked them a tad during the searing process. They didn't have any pink in the middle. I also used the pitmaster IQ 130 and that thing is wonderful. I'm attaching photos. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? 

20180514_210452.jpg

20180514_210513.jpg

Nice looking pork chop, I like brining mine before smoking them.

Brine:

3 cups water

1 bay leaf

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon peppercorns

1 tablespoon agave syrup

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 cup ice

In a large saucepan over high heat, add the water and remaining ingredients, except the ice. Stir until the salt dissolves. Remove from the heat, add the ice and stir until cool.

1 hour ago, TKOBBQ said:

Nice looking pork chop, I like brining mine before smoking them.

Brine:

3 cups water

1 bay leaf

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon peppercorns

1 tablespoon agave syrup

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 cup ice

In a large saucepan over high heat, add the water and remaining ingredients, except the ice. Stir until the salt dissolves. Remove from the heat, add the ice and stir until cool.

Thanks TKOBBQ I'm going to buy that brine

The chops look great! I simply season mine well- basically salt and coarse ground black pepper, no brine. If i do a reverse sear, I simply open of the Joe after smoking them for a period. But, I go for a lower temp than you– there's no right or wrong.

I also do not use any tech, just sight and sometimes touch. They always come out perfect- and, plenty juicy but, its something I've been doing on different grills for quite some time. It is difficult imho, to use a sugar glaze and then sear afterward because you are then going above the melting point of the sugar and the carmelization is not as much the meat searing as it is the sugar burning. Take that with a grain of salt. 

I just grilled pork chops on my Akorn. Put a McCormick rub on the chops, preheated the grill to 350-400. Maybe eight minutes per side with the lid closed, to 145. Like yours, probably could have pulled a bit sooner, but still very good. 

12 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

The chops look great! I simply season mine well- basically salt and coarse ground black pepper, no brine. If i do a reverse sear, I simply open of the Joe after smoking them for a period. But, I go for a lower temp than you– there's no right or wrong.

I also do not use any tech, just sight and sometimes touch. They always come out perfect- and, plenty juicy but, its something I've been doing on different grills for quite some time. It is difficult imho, to use a sugar glaze and then sear afterward because you are then going above the melting point of the sugar and the carmelization is not as much the meat searing as it is the sugar burning. Take that with a grain of salt. 

What temp do you go for?

2 hours ago, St1brew said:

Pink or not, they look great. I'm sure they tasted great as well!

Yeah they were pretty darn good. Especially considering it was my first time lol. 

3 hours ago, John Sand said:

I just grilled pork chops on my Akorn. Put a McCormick rub on the chops, preheated the grill to 350-400. Maybe eight minutes per side with the lid closed, to 145. Like yours, probably could have pulled a bit sooner, but still very good. 

Did you have any pictures???

27 minutes ago, tbaby3333 said:

What temp do you go for?

I used to cook on an offset so, I go for as much smoke as i can. I am trying to season the meat more than cook it so, 225°. If I can dial in 215° or 200° when first starting out that's even better. If the fire is well established and with good airflow, it doesn't take long for it to reach the 400° or 500° mark after opening the vents. I should add that it is so much easier to do since acquiring the Kick Ash Basket. It is about as tech as I have gone but, made a huge difference. Before then it might have taken the Big Joe several minutes to come up to a searing temp after a period of low and slow. Now, I never have airflow issues, even if I don't shake out the ash after each use (I do always empty the ash drawer of course). 

As you can see I'm really stalking that new Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket for my other Big Joe. :-D

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I used to cook on an offset so, I go for as much smoke as i can. I am trying to season the meat more than cook it so, 225°. If I can dial in 215° or 200° when first starting out that's even better. If the fire is well established and with good airflow, it doesn't take long for it to reach the 400° or 500° mark after opening the vents. I should add that it is so much easier to do since acquiring the Kick Ash Basket. It is about as tech as I have gone but, made a huge difference. Before then it might have taken the Big Joe several minutes to come up to a searing temp after a period of low and slow. Now, I never have airflow issues, even if I don't shake out the ash after each use (I do always empty the ash drawer of course). 

As you can see I'm really stalking that new Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket for my other Big Joe. :-D

I was thinking about getting that new kamado basket as well lol lol