acidfnord

Table advice - firepoofing

A bit of advice please on tables.

So, I've acquired a wood bench to relocate my Big Joe to.  However, somewhat worried about fireproofing it.

Two areas advice would be much appreciated.

1.  The base.  Currently wooden slats.  The spacing is too wide to remove and insert firebricks.  So, I was thinking a base layer of fireboard  (E.g. , bricks on top and Big Joe on top of those.  Any advice?

2.  Top surface.  All wood currently.  Should be about 1" from the edge to the wood to the outer ceramic.  Is that enough?  Is there more I should think about - such as replacing the table top with concrete or equivalent? 

Forgive the paranoia - any advice from table experts would be brilliant, thank you! 

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151 (1).jpg

I would be good with your overall plan without any additional fire proofing. 

1. Fireboard with firebricks is more than enough. As long as there is a reasonable air gap under the Big Joe. 

2. One inch sounds like a good distance (gap). 

In both cases just keep an eye on it. If it starts charing over time you might need to pull the Big Joe and redo but I doubt it. 

Thanks a million ckreef - puts my mind at rest

One person I spoke to talked about putting exhaust tape around the outside rim - but get the sense this may be taking safety a bit too far! 

Considering the ignition point of cellulose  (wood) is 451 F your grill would be VERY hot externally before charring appears. My Classic KJ is in a wooden table with maybe an inch clearance, if that. 

That said it does sit on ceramic KJ feet and those sit on a concrete paver. And then the wooden slats of the platform. 

I think the most important thing will be getting an air space around your Joe. The problem is the bottom; looking at mine, I'm wondering if you just need a metal trivet similar to the stand platform.. It would space the Joe away from the wood while allowing copious air flow. 

HAve fun,

Frank

image.jpeg

Although not a KJ here is my setup for my KK's. Wooden stand, pavers with an air gap, kamado. I have this exact setup for both my KK's and never worried for a moment. 

kkgap.thumb.jpg.384477d03d89b2e2ee442f501f390b1b.jpg

You could buy some porcelain tiles from Home Depot or somewhere (1'x1' squares are like $1.30/ea), and put them over the wood as a base to protect the wood below the grill if you wanted. Then just put the grill on the Kamado Joe ceramic feet (there's 3 of them in a set) on top of the tiles. Other than that you're probably good to go.

image.thumb.png.f7c909be8dcb3dd61405f509b7fe0af8.png

This is really great advice, thanks guys.  

Here's what I've done:

1 . Ordered some fire bricks to set it on

2.  Got my hands on a Big Green Egg metal table nest - the XL is about the same size as the Big Joe

3.  Decided not to upgrade the table top with concrete - from what everyone's saying, that would be overkill

It's only really 3 that I feel uncertain about - did wonder about making a concrete tabletop, but from what everyone's saying that isn't really necessary.

Thanks again! 

download.jpg

I bought some Nomex sticky tape as a replacement gasket which im gonna use around the perimiter of the cut out for the grill. I only have 1/2" gap around my KJ as I didnt want the gap too big, but I will as well keep an eye on it. It is my first ceramic grill and didn;t know they get so hot on the outside. 

1 minute ago, 12v_dub said:

It is my first ceramic grill and didn;t know they get so hot on the outside. 

Only most of them, not all of them. Just sayin..........