Sign in to follow this  
nikon5400

Air leak

That seems like a lot of leaking - is that consistently happening every time?  Are you able to shut down your grill and snuff the fire without issue?  How about holding temps?  I would say it’s only an issue if it’s impacting performance...

5 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

That seems like a lot of leaking - is that consistently happening every time?  Are you able to shut down your grill and snuff the fire without issue?  How about holding temps?  I would say it’s only an issue if it’s impacting performance...

I'd say it's more noticeable on windy days.

It takes more than 2 hours to shut it down, that's why I was asking previously if getting some kind of a cap around the drawer case would cool it down faster and save some lump charcoal

The temperature is mostly steady, but can fluctuate up to 50 degrees (as it did when I took this video) with plenty of charcoal covering the whole bottom up to holes.  

Another member suggested lifting up rails with washers and bending it a little. I haven't look into it and am afraid of breaking it by bending a little to much :) Also, this pro-zone rusts a little, I wish Vision used stainless steel like Pit Boss model.. also according to my pit boss friend his kamado gets no condensation at all, not even in the winter, while my drips a lot. Maybe because Pit Boss ss vent is much smaller than pro-zone and it probably drips inside, but that's just my guess.

Well, I’m not sure what to tell you on this one.... my Vision is the Classic  B, so I’m not really familiar with that whole drawer assembly. Seems like you may need to attempt to do something to lessen the leaks unless you haven’t cooked with it much and there is a chance some of it will seal up with a little buildup. 

Oddly enough, I never had a condensation issue with my Vision but I do with my Big Joe...

That does seem to be a lot of leakage. I have the Diamond B with the ash drawer with sliding stainless steel vent and have no leaks or condensation.  My top vent leaked for the first couple of cooks until it had a little build up. You may want to contact Vision to see if they will send you some more gasket material for the control drawer.

When you shut it down it does take a while for it to cool down because the ceramic really holds the heat well. When I do Pizza it will take 4 or 5 hours to cool down.

15 hours ago, cmospyder said:

You may want to contact Vision to see if they will send you some more gasket material for the control drawer.

When I do Pizza it will take 4 or 5 hours to cool down.

I emailed them the same link when I posted here. Will contact them on Monday if no reply. 

I want to try pizza. Is there any reference on how to do it right the first time?:) What temperature do you use and how long does it take to cook thin\medium\thick crust pizza? I assume it's better not to lift the lid and check on it, since cooking time should be only a few minutes if temperature is high.

do you use any wood with pizza? Does it come out better than electric oven? 

thanks

On 5/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, nikon5400 said:

I emailed them the same link when I posted here. Will contact them on Monday if no reply. 

Did you hear back? I recently got pretty new Pro C from a friend and there are substantial gaps around the bottom of the ash slider and around the cover for the starter hole. Been making it really hard to hold low temps. I bought some thin "magnetic chalkboard" material and cut to fit over the starter opening which has helped a lot but not sure what to do about the tray...

6 hours ago, Kris said:

Did you hear back? I recently got pretty new Pro C from a friend and there are substantial gaps around the bottom of the ash slider and around the cover for the starter hole. Been making it really hard to hold low temps. I bought some thin "magnetic chalkboard" material and cut to fit over the starter opening which has helped a lot but not sure what to do about the tray...

They sent me Silicone Sealant

here's their reply

For the leaky Electric Starter Port, here are some options:

> OPTION 1. Prong Adjustment: On the inside of the Electric Starter Port, there are three prongs. Using pliers, you can bend them left, or right (using a twisting motion), to create a better catch when it closes.

> OPTION 2. Rubber Gasket Replacement: If “OPTION 1” fails, then go on to this option. There is a kit, along with instructions, that we can send you to replace the Rubber Gasket that is attached to the port door itself.

> OPTION 3. Silicone Sealant Repair Kit: If the above options continue to fail, there is a silicone repair kit that we can send you. This also comes with instructions and is easy to use. At this point, the area we would be sealing is the space between the Faceplate and the Vessel, itself.

On 6/8/2018 at 6:31 PM, nikon5400 said:

They sent me Silicone Sealant

here's their reply

For the leaky Electric Starter Port, here are some options:

> OPTION 1. Prong Adjustment: On the inside of the Electric Starter Port, there are three prongs. Using pliers, you can bend them left, or right (using a twisting motion), to create a better catch when it closes.

> OPTION 2. Rubber Gasket Replacement: If “OPTION 1” fails, then go on to this option. There is a kit, along with instructions, that we can send you to replace the Rubber Gasket that is attached to the port door itself.

> OPTION 3. Silicone Sealant Repair Kit: If the above options continue to fail, there is a silicone repair kit that we can send you. This also comes with instructions and is easy to use. At this point, the area we would be sealing is the space between the Faceplate and the Vessel, itself.

A new rubber gasket works ,Mine was leaking as well so Visions sent me a new gasket and sealer(silicone) my starter port I siliconed it shut from the inside. I dont use the starter it sees to get too much of the charcoal burning for low and slow. Herman  

On 6/12/2018 at 6:54 PM, Herman Munster said:

A new rubber gasket works ,Mine was leaking as well so Visions sent me a new gasket and sealer(silicone) my starter port I siliconed it shut from the inside. I dont use the starter it sees to get too much of the charcoal burning for low and slow. Herman  

It seems like most of my leak is not from around the starter door, but from around the ash drawer. I haven't siliconed yet, want to do a flashlight test first