Shuttin’ er down

Ted W

So did another cook and am loving this Kamado Joe.

Here is my question...why does Kamado Joe say to leave the top vent open a bit when shutting the grill down? The green egg has an attachment for this specific action, I am a little confused why I shouldn’t close the top completely.

What am I missing?

Ted

It's just to let heat out. If you close the bottom vent, but leave the top very slightly cracked, then the coals won't be getting air flow and will smother out, but there will be a small gap to let some heat out of the top. 

The only time my kamado stayed lit for hours was when I neglected to shut the top vent all the way on shutdown. It normally cools off in about 3 to 4 hours depending on how hot I cooked but was still barely lit the following morning when left cracked open. Any air flow can keep the coals lit.

I close my bottom vent and open the top a hair (maybe a 1/16, or 1/8 at the most) and so far it's been working out pretty well.  In the morning I just close the top vent and put the cover on it.

I grilled early yesterday, ribs for 3 hours which were great, then some random pork my wife had that needed grilled, and ultimately got it up to 400. When I shut it down, closed both vents, it stayed warm for a long time.  5 hours later was still @150, granted it was also in the sun.

Next time I'll try cracking the top vent a little to see if that helps it cool any quicker. 

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, FabianKamado cooking said:

So they can sell more coal

No, I don't think so. The idea is to let some of the heat in the dome escape while extinguishing most of the fire, after 20 min or so close the vents completely and totally extinguish the fire. I do this in my egg after a pizza cook. 

On 5/17/2018 at 1:01 AM, Ted W said:

So did another cook and am loving this Kamado Joe.

Here is my question...why does Kamado Joe say to leave the top vent open a bit when shutting the grill down? The green egg has an attachment for this specific action, I am a little confused why I shouldn’t close the top completely.

What am I missing?

Ted

Bge used to sell a ceramic cap to help extinguish the fire since the daisy wheel wasn't air tight enough... on my eggs I just left the wheel or smoke ware cap on.... with the new reEGGulator you don't get/need the cap accessory any more.

Regardless of the grill having a ~700 roaring fire and closing the vents is apt to putting some pressure on your grill that could stress the ceramics.  A few min of closing the bottom vent and leaving the top open a little before shutting all the way helps IMO ease the way into a gradual transition of rip roaring flame into shut down mode.

Comes down to personal preference 

Just my $0.02

I close both vents for about an hour or so  when i think the coals are out i open the top about a 1/4 inch . I believe this helps get the heated air out of the grill to cool faster,and to get the moisture from the cook out of the grill, before i put the  cover on. A second plus if the kontrol tower is gummed up and stuck it is opened enough to get the fire going to soften the sludge(?) that keeps it stuck . I think John had a good point about high temp shut down