First, a brief confession.  I have had a joetisserie for about a year, and only used it maybe 3 times.  Did a chicken, a turkey, for some reason just a little underwhelmed with the whole process, and then all the extra cleaning up.  Until today...

Had a small pork loin in the freezer from my BIL's pig.  Watching John Setzlers video on spinning a pork loin, plus a recent post on the Facebook group made me decide to dig the Joetisserie out again.  Injected it with applesauce/apple juice mixture, slathered in mustard and coated with my wife's cajun spice rub.  After about an hour and 15 minutes of spinning at 325 degrees, we pulled it off and left rest for 10 minutes.  My wife thought I was going to break into tears with my first bite.  Words fail me to describe it.  The subtle flame kissed outside, the juicy inside, so soft you could cut it with a fork!  You can't buy food this good at a restaurant (at least not a restaurant I can afford).  Thanks again John for your excellent video.

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

10 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

The pictures are worth a thousand words, but your words were pretty good too.  Not often you hear a pork loin described as tender and juicy.

I agree, I always thought of pork loin as a rather tough cut.  I think the applesauce injection was the ticket.  I didn't include a plated shot because it didn't turn out real well, but as we sliced the loin, the juice was pooling on the plate.  

On 5/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, Shortyque said:

First, a brief confession.  I have had a joetisserie for about a year, and only used it maybe 3 times.  Did a chicken, a turkey, for some reason just a little underwhelmed with the whole process, and then all the extra cleaning up.  Until today...

Had a small pork loin in the freezer from my BIL's pig.  Watching John Setzlers video on spinning a pork loin, plus a recent post on the Facebook group made me decide to dig the Joetisserie out again.  Injected it with applesauce/apple juice mixture, slathered in mustard and coated with my wife's cajun spice rub.  After about an hour and 15 minutes of spinning at 325 degrees, we pulled it off and left rest for 10 minutes.  My wife thought I was going to break into tears with my first bite.  Words fail me to describe it.  The subtle flame kissed outside, the juicy inside, so soft you could cut it with a fork!  You can't buy food this good at a restaurant (at least not a restaurant I can afford).  Thanks again John for your excellent video.

You're right about restaurant food. Ya just gotta do it yourself if ya want great bbq. Looks delicious.

22 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Congrats on the cook! So, regarding cleanup, you can't just ramp the temp and burn it off? I have one in my far distant future.

I actually hadn't thought about that.  DUH.   Will have to try that next time.  Hoping to maybe do another spin of something over this coming weekend.  I think I may actually start using this more.  

• 1 year later...

I have been using my Joetissirie more often lately and hadn't been previously for the reasons you've mentioned. Like other things it takes some practice and patience. I just spun a leg of lamb, wings, and a chicken over the past month. The wings were done with the Napoleon rotisserie basket that was recommended to me a while back.

Now that I have the process down pat for setting the right amount of coals, air flow and methods of catching the drippings I have been looking new ways to use it.

Looks like pork loin will be my next adventure, your post looks absolutely amazing and as others have commented your description sold me even further!

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 11:59 AM, Team PCBeach said:

Looks great!  Do you have a link to the recipe or video?  Did a quick search and couldn't find it.

Sorry, just saw your post, only 2 months later.  I'm sorry, I cant remember where i saw johns video, i watch so many.  I'm trying to do better at bookmarking.  I actually followed an injection recipe from another source.