New(to me) Kamado Joe Classic(I think)

Deebo

Hello and Great forum you all have here. 

I just got done doing about a year of research and shopping for a new cooker. Had gas grills all my life and decided to up my game and ditch the gas. I wanted a Kamado of some sort but my wife demanded we get something “push button”. I settled with her and I purchased a really nice Memphis pellet cooker(not sure if pellet cooker is a bad word around here....if so, sorry).  We love it, cooks awesome food. I still wanted to play with charcoal so I talked her into letting me buy a large Webber kettle. As I was looking around I found what you see here on FB marketplace for $350 and thought it was a great deal. I got my Kamado and I am already hooked on this forum! Look forward to learning and thanks for the great community and content that is here. 

6C86C0F6-26B2-449D-A2BC-F8ADB22026E3.png

210FC4E7-58AE-47F9-B070-AF1AEE783802.png

Looks like you got a steal on on that new KJ. Congrats! Welcome aboard. I don't believe that pellets are a bad word around here. Just out of curiosity, what brand did you go with? I'm thinking of adding one (if the misses allows it;-)). So far though I am enjoying my kamado so much....

2 hours ago, St1brew said:

Looks like you got a steal on on that new KJ. Congrats! Welcome aboard. I don't believe that pellets are a bad word around here. Just out of curiosity, what brand did you go with? I'm thinking of adding one (if the misses allows it;-)). So far though I am enjoying my kamado so much....

I bought a Memphis Pro. I love it but there are a lot of very nice options, IMO, depending on your needs in one. I did a ton of research so if you decide to look into one I am here for info if ya need it. 

Welcome!  You’re in the right place to learn... lots of great info and people here. Also, there are many of us who have multiple outdoor cookers, and there are sections of the forum for posting your non Kamado cooks as well.  Don’t ever feel like you can only talk kamado here - that’s not the case at all.  :)

On 5/18/2018 at 11:01 AM, Deebo said:

... I found what you see here on FB marketplace for $350 and thought it was a great deal. ...

6C86C0F6-26B2-449D-A2BC-F8ADB22026E3.png

Yep, that looks like a great deal, and welcome to the group. 

But there's something incongruous about this photo... fire boxes aren't usually cleaner than the heat deflector that covers them. I will wager the good price was due to reliability issues... known reliability issues with the fire box design. The seller's original fire box cracked, and they got this boxed replacement under warranty, then dumped the unit expecting it would continue to be unreliable with the new parts. 

Mine cracked, too, in two days. It was expected. Replacement's on the way. KJ has an upgrade, referenced by @CentralTexBBQ that will keep us both cooking for decades. I'm betting the previous owner didn't know about that... to your benefit! 

Have fun,

Frank