Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wangs!!!

Some wangs seasoned with Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon and slathered with Sweet & Spicy, and Honey BBQ Baby Ray's sauce. I also added a little extra heat via some cayenne pepper powder. 
 I just started a load of lump charcoal with a starter cube. Put the ×-rack on the high position, placed the heat diffuser half moons on, and then the grill grate. I closed the dome and opened the bottom vent completely. Then I opened the daisy wheel so all the holes aligned and swung the vent on top about a 1/4 of the way open. Waited for the temp to approach 400°, then closed the bottom vent about half way. Put the wings on and flipped them a few time so they would cook evenly. When they were almost done placed them in a stainless steel bowl tossed them with sauce threw them back on for a few minutes and viola!chickenwangs1.thumb.jpg.3fe84b1d8dc4dee7aa2e7cf29041255d.jpg
chickenwangs2.thumb.jpg.d84e366a47af20960e920e3f7ee96ca4.jpgchickenwangs3.thumb.jpg.a78599220cb6bc062bbe8e6a67f7838b.jpg
chickenwangs4.thumb.jpg.7bdce5c9050d7604c2c436b7a3ae7312.jpgchickenwangs5.thumb.jpg.e8b8d6f2f67bbce6207ba1030215b63a.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pittmab
      First attempt at chicken shawarma last night on the Joetisserie.

Came out really good, very pleased with the result and so easy. Juicy, tender moist chicken, with gnarled crispy edges.

Followed Smoking Dad's recipe from his YouTube video.

• By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      Does anyone have any experience with grilling whole squid? I toured my local "international" (their term) grocery store today and one item I saw was fresh whole squid. 

I'd like to take a crack at grilling it, but don't want to waste money winging it. Any tips/guidelines you have would be appreciated! Happy grilling 
    • By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By HokieOC
      Finally pulled the trigger on a Joetisserie and can’t wait to start using it. First up want to do a chicken as that seems simple and easy, but given the two pack Costco sells has anyone done two birds at the same time on a KJ Classic? I’ve searched but haven’t found much Info with people cooking two, other than a picture which seems to be a Big Joe. Seems like it might be tight but should make it as long as they aren’t over 5lbs each. Also wondering if that affects cooking time. 
    • By KJKiley
      So this finally happened today (just a few days short of 6 weeks). 

Since we’re rapidly running out of month, the inaugural cook also happens to be for the Five Ingredient Challenge.  I was inspired by John Setzler’s SloRoller chicken video so I opted for that method.

Ingredients:
      Whole chicken
      Pineapple
      Red pepper
      Vidalia onion
      Honey
      Wayward Gourmet Applewood Smoked BBQ Awesomeness
      Salt & Pepper
      Olive Oil

I did a dry brine on the chicken the night prior.

Finally fired up the grill and set it for 375.  I swapped sides at about the 35 minute point and bumped the temp up to 425, checked on them after an hour and reduced the temp to 400.  Pulled both at about 80-85 minutes.

Slow roasted the veggies with some salt & pepper and olive oil in the oven at 350, and finished on the grill.

True to John’s video, the chicken skin was crispy and the chicken super moist.  My wife’s assessment was ‘the best chicken I’ve ever cooked’ so I consider the first round (of many) a success.