Sign in to follow this  
KismetKamado

KK's Big Adventure

Well, it's been hectic lately.  Super busy at work for a couple of weeks actually, but the personal life was crazy this week as well.  My husband and older daughter left me mid week - was supposed to go with them, but couldn't get away from work.  Had a preschool graduation here on Thursday for the younger one and on that same day the older daughter and husband were celebrating his grandmother's 100th birthday in his hometown.  Friday morning I decided I better drag myself and the younger daughter up there to meet them for fear of being disowned.

Left my hill that morning for a 300 mile trek across the state.  

IMG_9712.thumb.jpg.86dc2b5c194d86ccbe5b67f0a5102fbc.jpg

Some nice scenery along the way.  My dad was a geologist and I miss the days traveling with him when he would explain the various formations we would see along the way.

IMG_9717.thumb.jpg.78ec8f1e40312af9c18c964043683c15.jpg

4 1/2 hours after leaving home, I'd found myself a bigger hill to look at.

8B6375A9-E0A0-4F3F-B180-2138D1C10933.thumb.jpeg.0a084b00e2ac78bb86e2c29097083f36.jpeg

IMG_9746.thumb.jpg.d41ea6c5acf5348718295b1d234c9ec5.jpg

My phone was ringing as I pulled up and I had to get to work right away, but can't complain about having this view out the window while working remote on Friday afternoon.

IMG_9759.thumb.JPG.98297592ef7ddb0e05953a33284b0d17.JPG

Took a drive later that afternoon.  

IMG_9783.thumb.JPG.0671c2ae0bb42d75990ef9523521fa03.JPG

Sure wish I had brought my good camera to get a better picture of this guy. A nice eagle perched in the tree with his nest nearby.

IMG_9782.thumb.JPG.8c44ee9917f6e6b7ca4f2a0140f9a95c.JPG

The younger one got to ride a horse on Friday afternoon which she was ecstatic about.  She also got to play with a kitten which was super fun for her as we only have a dog.  We were only there a couple of hours before the husband and older daughter had to head for home due to his work situation, but we knew that was likely to happen.

Saturday brought a morning of shopping for branding tomorrow and a tractor ride.... that is a dead sprint to the tractor.  

IMG_9816.jpg.11cfb26dfe9d9be4135b23aabfa1028b.jpg

And thankfully, no cows were harmed in this little excursion.  She assured her grandpa that she had a driver's license.

IMG_9835.thumb.JPG.20a1507633a850cddc6ba6ded1766c1a.JPG

Back over the hill this afternoon - just a little over 24 hours after arriving.  

IMG_9847.thumb.jpg.0a3b96726fb55500fb35840128234059.jpg

And got home in time to go to dinner for the older daughter who turned into a teenager today.  And upon giving the younger one her bath tonight she promptly pulled a loose front tooth (her first one to lose) upon being told that the tooth fairy would give her money for it.  

What a couple of days!  A preschool graduation, a 100th birthday, a horse ride, tractor driving, kittens, eagles, 600 miles, my first teenager and a first lost tooth!  I'm exhausted!  

3 hours ago, Ben S said:

By the way, great photos ! 

Thanks, Ben!  There's not much a 5 year old iPhone can't do except hold a charge.  LOL. ;)

I do wish I had taken my good camera.  But I pack it up there so many times and don't get it out.  I was really trying to simplify things this time and it bit me.... really wouldn't have been a big deal to toss an extra bag in the car and make sure a couple of batteries were charged and I could have really had some nice photos.  

11 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Great scenery and some great family memories to always cherish, Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Thanks, @TKOBBQ!  We had a really nice visit with my husband's grandmother on the way out of town as well.  My side of the family isn't nearly as exciting as my husband's - so it's really a treat for the girls.  I'm thankful they are able to experience so many neat things that are outside of our normal day to day life when we go visit.  The younger one has a tendency to exaggerate and tell stories.  Her teachers are always telling me what wild stories she tells when I pick her up from school.  She has two days of preschool left and I can't wait to pick her up on Monday and hear what the story of the day is.  I'm guessing I'll be able to tell them that that one is for real for once!  :)

Thanks for taking us in the trip! Loved seeing the mountains. The biggest hills we have here were built by ants in the back yard.

14 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

The younger one has a tendency to exaggerate and tell stories.  Her teachers are always telling me what wild stories she tells when I pick her up from school. 

You wonder where they get such things. ;) 

2 hours ago, cschaaf said:

Thanks for taking us in the trip! Loved seeing the mountains. The biggest hills we have here were built by ants in the back yard.

It is awesome to have a hill in my backyard.  

2 hours ago, cschaaf said:

You wonder where they get such things. ;) 

Huh, what?  No clue what you're talking about....   not one bit...  Exaggerate???  Tell stories??? That's just crazy talk....

Actually, I am super proud of her handling her lost tooth the way she did.  I was really worried this was going to be a catastrophe... this is the girl that won't let me cut her nails... or her hair.... but she yanked the tooth out and didn't look back.  It gave me hope for the future....

That sounds like an awesome few days, and a great story to tell. A friend once told me that the best camera is the one you have with you. Based on that, your iPhone is your best camera!

ps. I miss mountains, haven't found one here yet!

55 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

I'm tired from just reading about that journey... Awesome!!!

Thanks, @Bgosnell151.  I was feeling whooped for sure!  But I kind of like some windshield time every now and then, so it was a refreshing exhausted at least.

6 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

That sounds like an awesome few days, and a great story to tell. A friend once told me that the best camera is the one you have with you. Based on that, your iPhone is your best camera!

ps. I miss mountains, haven't found one here yet!

I like that saying about the best camera - going to remember that.  :)

The mountain here outside of town is really nice (but just a hill compared to the Tetons where we were).  Not very big, but plenty to do.  A small ski resort on top, cross country skiing trails, biking trails, ATV trails, a switchback laden mountain road to rip up.... and best of all there is a really nice waterfall.  This is near the base and a 15 minute drive from town and only a couple minute walk to get to.  Adding a picture of the landscape adjacent to the falls for a better idea of scale.  Both photos taken from about the same spot.  My out of state coworkers were enjoying themselves doing some "climbing".  

IMG_1635.thumb.JPG.c19d8b7812ac82264d9f44baad3a5993.JPG

IMG_1634.thumb.JPG.8099a7fd3245778934bf59001321f378.JPG