Jump to content

tbaby3333

Lawd "HAM" Mercy

Recommended Posts

Well, this is my third cook on the Big Joe. Did half a ham (mother-in-law bought it that way). Nothing to fancy with this one. I used Malcolm Reed whole ham recipe that you can check out on his website howtobbqright.com. I used his Maple glaze recipe as well. Smoked it for a few hours and then put the temp probe in until it hit 135. Glazed it after that and let it continue until it hit 140. I smoked it yesterday and it was still juicy today with a nice smoke flavor. I used pecan wood, but I think my wife and I love mesquite wood with everything lol. That's sad because I bought all this wood ($200 worth) from different suppliers and all we want is mesquite. Anywho, back to the ham. The glaze was pretty good. What are some of you guys go to glazes that you all like? Oh, i have to admit i made a boo boo yesterday too lol. I dried out my baby back ribs because I fell asleep. Rule number one if you work 12 hours the previous night maybe take a nap BEFORE you start smoking lol  

20180519_185226.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful color on that ham!  Don't worry about the boo boo on the rib cook.  I think most of us have been there, done that - many probably more than once.  :)

 

@TKOBBQ is right - a remote thermometer is a great tool to have and the Thermoworks Smoke is a very good and simple to use / intuitive unit with a very nice readable display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love a good piece of ham, I use a  brown sugar coke/cola glaze.

1 cup packed brown sugar light or dark

12oz can of coke, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Mexican Coke/cola better, made with real sugar the way ours was made yrs ago

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all together and glaze every 15 minutes for last hr

 

Scott

P.S Just realize where you live, Mexican coke is no problem to find!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, TKOBBQ said:

That's a good looking ham.

Look at some of the remote thermometers that offer temp alarms.  Thermoworks smoke comes to mind.

You cook your ribs to a certain temp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, philpom said:

Great color, would like to try a bite of that ham!

It was excellent lol. Making it harder to drop these last 20 or so lbs on the scale lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

I love a good piece of ham, I use a  brown sugar coke/cola glaze.

1 cup packed brown sugar light or dark

12oz can of coke, if you can get your hands on a bottle of Mexican Coke/cola better, made with real sugar the way ours was made yrs ago

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all together and glaze every 15 minutes for last hr

 

Scott

P.S Just realize where you live, Mexican coke is no problem to find!

Oooo i like the way that glaze sounds. I'm going to try that one. You have to mix it up on the stove correct? Forgive me. I'm a newbie lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tbaby3333 said:

Oooo i like the way that glaze sounds. I'm going to try that one. You have to mix it up on the stove correct? Forgive me. I'm a newbie lol

You could but I don't, I just mix well and apply during the last hour basting every 15 minutes!

 

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

You could but I don't, I just mix well and apply during the last hour basting every 15 minutes!

 

Scott

Roger that Captain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cmospyder said:

Good looking ham. I know where you are coming from, my wife is from Texas and doesn't think it ain't smoked unless it is mesquite smoked, :-D

Lol that's right lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×