Magnus Allgurén

Smokinlicious Gourmet Smoking Wood

I decided to try ordering from this company called Smokinlicious Gourmet Smoking Wood, from Buffalo. It's convenient for me as I'm in Canada that they offer both an American website and a Canadian website. 

Anywho, I once ordered Alder wood from Amazon US, as it's fairly hard to find companies selling Alder wood for smoking in Canada. The customer service that I experienced from this company is almost unheard of. Questions(by email) were answered in minutes, over long weekends and late nights. 

This wood was offered in 30lbs or 15lbs packages so I ordered the 15lbs, as I am trying it out. 

15lbs, cost me $31 CAD, shipping included. So no where near as expensive as the wood I ordered thru Amazon (5lbs/$40US).

Now after all this, the wood has a great aroma as does its smoke and it smokes for a long time. Chunks are the size of appr 2"x2x4",so a fairly nice size. 

IMG_20180523_165134.thumb.jpg.84ad964257ec0b4ba5f86a5540efeefc.jpg

I will definitely order from this company again. They offer lots of different kinds of wood. 

Thanks for reading!! 

http://www.smokinlicious.ca

http://www.smokinlicious.com

I was surprised to see they have a UK website but unfortunately I won't be ordering as I have just realized the price @ nearly £66 for the small box  including shipping its a stretch for smoking wood. 

I will have to find a good UK supplier

4 hours ago, ndg_2000 said:

I was surprised to see they have a UK website but unfortunately I won't be ordering as I have just realized the price @ nearly £66 for the small box  including shipping its a stretch for smoking wood. 

I will have to find a good UK supplier

Wow yeah £66 is pretty much 3 times as much as I paid! :evil:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brickyoung
      Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!
    • By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 

Currently, my process is this:

Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 

I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 

When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 

I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 

Thanks for any feedback!

• By kamado mofo
      Hello All!!! Getting my Kamodo dialed in. Thought I had a gasket issue, but Brian at Hi-Que gave me lots of knowledge about fire control on my grill. Any tips on controlling the level of smoke applied to the cook would be appreciate by this rookie!
    • By Gator2211
      Hello everyone, new to the group and just seeing what tips, tricks, and insight I can find. I love trying out of the box techniques and experimenting to find the best flavors possible.
    • By Owlblink
      Howdy!

I purchased an Akorn Jr. To give low and slow smoking a try. Thus far I have done Drumsticks (brined them overnight), burgers, hot dogs, and ribeye steak. All have turned out pretty well but definitely learning!

I do not yet own a smokestone, I have been making use of either a 12inch pizza pan or a 10ich stainless steel stove top cover wrapped in aluminum.

For now I've been using a cheap wireless Expert Grill thermometer that I place on the center of the grill grate (and inside my steak when I was cooking it).

For fuel I've been using Western BBQ Cooking Chunks such as Cherry and Hickory, lighting them with either a single brick of charcoal or the cottonball coated in alcohol method.

Today I smoked some hotdogs for the second time using a combination of hickory and cherry wood with the 10" heat displacer set inside and a small pie tin full of water sitton ontop of it. I lit my valcano of breviously burnt wood chips combined with several fresh chunks using the cotton ball method. No problems there! Got the heat displacer in and the grate and placed the probe on the center of the grate and stealed it up. The heat rose and stabalized at 226 degrees where it sat for ten minutes. I then slowly opened it up and placed the hotdogs on the grate with half an onion and sealed it back up. Now, my temperature at the grate had gone down to 160 degrees! I suppose it was a combination of lost heat from opening the lid up and placing slightly aboce fridge temp meat inside the smoker. After 10 minutes of little change in the temp I opened the vents further up and it took almost 30 minutes to get back up in the 225-240 range. Basically half my hours worth of somoking was just getting the temp back into the range I wanted it at. The hitdogs turned out fine but I just felt like it could hVe gone better.

Have others had trouble with the temp hanging down low after adding meat to the grill? Should I be adjusting my cooking times to make up for the loss of temperature? I want to try to get the most out of the smokey flavors.

Also back when I cooked the steaks I had it reaching the internal temp I targeted for withing 30 minutes instead of the projected 1-1.5hours it should have taken at ruffly 225-260 range.