Sign in to follow this  
Bgosnell151

Breakfast Time

3 hours ago, jrakutt said:

looks great!

I've never made soft boiled, but I'm tempted to try it now :)

really easy... bring water to a boil, put egg in very slowly and keep it there for 6 minutes.  Pull it out and remove the shell.  I typically run some cold water over it for a few seconds after I pull it so that I can handle it a little easier.

10 hours ago, daninpd said:

You can also do them sous vide and all you need to do is pick your temp for what you like and forget the timer.  You can hold the eggs at that temp for a 4 hour brunch, no problem.  That picture looks like about 146 degrees F.    http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Perfect_Egg

I’ve never tried sous vide.  It feels like cheating to me.  I’m not saying it is, but I love the craft of grilling.  Again, that is my personal feeling and I’m not putting it, or anyone that does it, down.

27 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

I’ve never tried sous vide.  It feels like cheating to me.  I’m not saying it is, but I love the craft of grilling.  Again, that is my personal feeling and I’m not putting it, or anyone that does it, down.

I've never grilled a soft boiled egg.  How do you do yours?

3 hours ago, daninpd said:

I've never grilled a soft boiled egg.  How do you do yours?

Well, I didn’t grill them.  I always think of sous vide as meats.  But I can see the benefits of it.

8 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

But I can see the benefits of it.

When most people boil an egg to whatever their preference they drop it in boiling water and time it and hope they don't get distracted and miss the pull time and hope they can serve it before residual heat cooks it a little more.  Eggs are perfect for sous vide- they come prebagged in their own shells, drop them in the water at your favorite temp and come back in 30 minutes.  Or an hour.  Or two hours.  You'll still be serving eggs cooked to the the same level of doneness.  Meats are a different conversation.

7 hours ago, daninpd said:

When most people boil an egg to whatever their preference they drop it in boiling water and time it and hope they don't get distracted and miss the pull time and hope they can serve it before residual heat cooks it a little more.  Eggs are perfect for sous vide- they come prebagged in their own shells, drop them in the water at your favorite temp and come back in 30 minutes.  Or an hour.  Or two hours.  You'll still be serving eggs cooked to the the same level of doneness.  Meats are a different conversation.

You may have just sold me.  Boy is my wife going to be pissed at you!!! 

;-)

The problem I have with cooking soft boiled eggs, regardless if they're boiled in water or cooked sous vide, is the removal from the shell process. It's bad enough with hard boiled eggs, but with soft boiled I sometimes end up with a complete mess. I've tried several methods including shaking them in a container with water but I've never run across an easy and foolproof method if there even is one. Am I alone here or am I missing some holy grail of shell removal?

I forgot to mention, eggs on toast with avocado and sliced tomato are my wife's go to breakfast almost every morning. Your photo depicts a great looking breakfast treat.

Well, you went and did it @Bgosnell151... I had to go and do this for my breakfast this morning.  Sunny side up egg on toast with sliced avocado and some shredded sweet potatoes.  All done in CI on the stovetop since the weather is taking a turn for the worse here....

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.93dd37acadbdbf3ec56db30bad8af826.JPG

46 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Well, you went and did it @Bgosnell151... I had to go and do this for my breakfast this morning.  Sunny side up egg on toast with sliced avocado and some shredded sweet potatoes.  All done in CI on the stovetop since the weather is taking a turn for the worse here....

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.93dd37acadbdbf3ec56db30bad8af826.JPG

shredded sweet potato... hmmmmm, that intrigues me.  assuming you shred it, then cook it, correct?

9 minutes ago, Bgosnell151 said:

shredded sweet potato... hmmmmm, that intrigues me.  assuming you shred it, then cook it, correct?

Yes. Shredded and then pan fried. Kind of like hash browns....