kortus3

Must haves for new owner of Big Joe

Hey guys, hoping to get a Big Joe within the week. Are there any must have accessories that I should get? I mainly will be cooking for my wife and myself, but we do entertain quite a bit. What are the best cooking racks to get? Let me know what you guys have.

Thanks

I love using cast iron with my BJ. Not necessarily the grate, but I use my 12" and flat iron skillets all the time with mine. 

What will you be cooking most of the time? I've been doing fish a lot lately, and I'm about to spring for the stainless surface. Looks handy.

1 hour ago, bhop said:

I love using cast iron with my BJ. Not necessarily the grate, but I use my 12" and flat iron skillets all the time with mine. 

What will you be cooking most of the time? I've been doing fish a lot lately, and I'm about to spring for the stainless surface. Looks handy.

The stainless steel surface has had a redesign very recently. You may want to check if what you are getting is the new or the old version. I’m not exactly sure what all the difference is or why the change was done. Just an FYI. 

I own a classic, and not a Big Joe.

However, one of the accessories I use the most is the Grill Expander.

Some things just cook better a little higher in the dome than at gasket level. I use it for pork tenderloins, whole chickens, whatever I think will cook better higher in the dome.

Pizza needs a proper stone, and personally the two stone (heat deflector separated  about an inch from the stone) approach works well for me - here's a thread on pizza stones   NOTE - My pizzas started doing beautifully when I started using parchment paper - cut it to fit the stone,

I have other accessories but these two are what I use the most.

Thermoworks smoke.  You need a good thermometer.  A pizza stone is a must have as well.  Pizza off the grill is great.  I got a big joetisserie a few months ago and I love it.  It is a game changer for chicken.  

The only really must haves are a good meat thermometer, good lump and meat, fish or poultry everything else is a luxury :-D

I would say the kick ash basket would be item #1. 

I've had one from day one and couldn't imagine cleaning out the firebox for every cook to remove the small pieces of lump.  The basket makes it soo much easier!