Sign in to follow this  
Cavman

Peeled knuckle

I picked up a peeled knuckle this morning from Cash and Carry for 25% off the normal 2.90 a pound not knowing what it is. They have been out of clod hearts for a while. Didn't have my phone with me to google it. Looks like its a pretty lean cut. My plan is to smoke it to an IT of 130 and slice thin. Pecan is my favorite wood, but I am thinking hickory for a little stronger smoke flavor because its so lean. Suggestions? 

I think you're on the right track if you plan on cooking it whole to slice it very thin.  Your other options would be to chunk it up and braise it for a stew or something of the sort, but I would think it will be ok for a thin sliced roast beef.  I would go rather robust with the rub since you'll just have a little bit of it on the finished product with the thin slices.  I have no thoughts on the smoking wood... but I do know that it's quite easy to wreck a cook with too much smoke.  I would tend to play it safe and go with what you know you like as far as that goes.  

Thanks for the input, I am just second guessing everything as this turned out to be a leaner cut than I expected. I was disappointed they were still out of clod heart. That seems to be the best cut in the price range for what I want. I didn't want to go back to eye of round. Hopefully this will be more flavorful than eye of round. Will know for sure tonight. It is not a special Memorial day cook, it is just for lunches and meals this week. Although it will be french dips & fries tonight! Will post pics tonight.

I took some samples to work today and everyone liked it. Slight edge to the clod heart for flavor. I think it is a slightly more tender roast than the cod heart but lacks a little in flavor with no fat cap. It is still far more flavorful than a eye of round roast. Those are the best budget roasts I have found and all of them require thin slicing to truly be good. I would recommend trying one sometime for the budget minded smoker.

That looks great. I see peeled knuckles all the time at Asian markets but had no idea what to do with them; everything I could find suggested merchandising into the three muscles for 2 roasts and something to cut into tiny little breakfast steaks.