acr

Time to upgrade?

I had to get creative to make this brisket fit on my KJ classic. I think it may be time for a KJ24.

IMG_20180527_160530.jpg

IMG_20180527_155856.jpg

IMG_20180527_155920.jpg

Every time I do a brisket on my KJ Classic I have the same regret; should have gotten the Big Joe.  Worst part is when I purchased my KJ Classic my wife urged me to spend the extra money for the Big Joe.

Thinking my son is going to inherit my Classic and I'm going to get the Big Joe, afterall.

It came out amazing. 18 hours at 200-220 and then 5 hours wrapped in foil at 250. (23 hours total)

The part I cut off is pretty indistinguishable from the portion of the flat that was left attached. "Gluing the two pieces with fat trimmings seems to have worked well.

IMG_20180528_155507.jpg

IMG_20180528_152925.jpg

IMG_20180528_155116.jpg

On May 28, 2018 at 7:18 AM, fotoman said:

Every time I do a brisket on my KJ Classic I have the same regret; should have gotten the Big Joe.  Worst part is when I purchased my KJ Classic my wife urged me to spend the extra money for the Big Joe.

Thinking my son is going to inherit my Classic and I'm going to get the Big Joe, afterall.

Not that it makes you feel better but I second guessed my big joe purchase, I didn't think I needed 24" to grill on.  I could not have been more wrong.  It is my most used kamado by a long shot.  

I need to ask you folks. I have never tried a brisket as of yet..(new KJCll this past December). Is there a big issue if you cut the brisket in half or in sizable pieces to fit on a classic with the extender?

I can see where keeping it whole may be ideal...but what truly is the down side?

49 minutes ago, Ecoke said:

I need to ask you folks. I have never tried a brisket as of yet..(new KJCll this past December). Is there a big issue if you cut the brisket in half or in sizable pieces to fit on a classic with the extender?

I can see where keeping it whole may be ideal...but what truly is the down side?

That brisket was a huge one. I think I can probably fit up to an 18lb or so in my classic, but I've always asked for the smallest they have (14-16 lb is on the smaller side by me). Rather than just cut the whole packer in half, the common practice is to separate the point and the flat.