Yesterday I learned not to trust my meat probe

And no, not because it reads badly. I did a spatchcock chicken for dinner last night. I was tired and a little unfocussed having done a karate grading yesterday afternoon and wasn't as careful as I should have been with the positioning of the probe. I noticed the chicken was cooking a bit faster than normal, but figured it was just one of those things. I have recently purchased a shiny new red thermapen and decided to check with that before pulling the chicken. Wow, at least 10C under where it should be. So, instead of feeding the family undercooked chicken I managed to come through and maintain my track record of delicious bbq'd chicken.

I'm sure most of the experienced cooks here know it, but I thought I would call it out anyway, it does pay to check multiple spots in the meat for temp!

1 hour ago, AntinOz said:

I'm sure most of the experienced cooks here know it, but I thought I would call it out anyway, it does pay to check multiple spots in the meat for temp!

Excellent point.  I am terrible at probe placement.  I have pulled a few things when I shouldn't have (good thing my husband is good with ultra rare prime rib...lol).  In any case, thanks for sharing because this is a very valid point and well taken by rookies and pros alike.  :)

• 1 month later...

I don’t need have much luck with getting the probe in the right spot of the chicken like you would with beef or pork 

find now I work on temp of the cooker and colour and the clock and a final check with an instant probe 

My preference now is I use an open chicken stand up the butt , it gets the smoke and heat into the chicken and cooks quick as cooking inside and out and also added bonus the tray catching all, the chicken fat which you could make a gravy or use it later for best roast potato’s 

350-400 degrees about an hour is the ballpark I find , the colour is a very good indicator , and more on the hotter side of temp gives the crispy skin