Inxider

Advice for first BBQ

Looking at getting my first bbq.

I would like to do almost anything I highly doubt I can get two different models.

From slow cook meat to pizza from time to time if it comes out better than a regular oven.

Char-Broil Kamander http://www.walmart.com/ip/KAMANDER-nbsp-CHARCOAL-GRILL/55283713

Akorn http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Griller-AKORN-Kamado-Charcoal-Kooker-Black-E16820/40267083

Broil King Keg 5000 https://www.bbqguys.com/broil-king/keg-5000-steel-charcoal-kamado-grill-gray

Portable Kitchen PK360

https://www.homedepot.com/p/300877800

B series Kamado

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/bseries-kamado-red/prod21425281

Costco Pit Boss Kamado usually about $500

https://m.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic-BBQ-Grill.product.100378747.html

I think they are all capable of everything you mention. I recommend putting your hands on as many models as possible and deciding based on your likes or needs. Open them up, play with the vents and vent position, feel the materials, check fit and finish, check that handles and tables are at a comfortable spot. Will the grill hold what you plan on cooking most frequently? They all have several pros and possibly some things you may not like. Do plenty of research. Look at how readily available parts and accessories are. Also consider what accessories may come with your grill of choice. Have fun. Can't wait to see which one you do choose and lastly welcome aboard! :welcome:

Here's what I did:

• There's a section on this forum called "TALK ABOUT YOUR COOKER".  Look at the numbers associated with each brand and let that help guide you to the Kamado grills in your price range. 
  • Narrow the selection down to 2 or 3
  • Follow St1brew's advice and do your on/off line research
  • Buy a grill, fire it up, and enjoy the cooks!

Do you have much experience with grilling?  For a first grill, I normally recommend the Weber kettle grill.  They are about $100 at the box stores, are highly capable of putting out fantastic food, are light and easy to move, and last decades with minimal care.  I bought my last one well used at a garage sale for $5 and got over a decade of heavy use out of it before purchasing my kamado.

What drove me towards the kamado is the ability to cook year round with it.  It may sound stupid, but yes I have been out in a blizzard grilling on more than one occasion.  The Weber was great, but it was more difficult to maintain a constant temp and retain the heat during the winter months.  I love my kamado, but they do have some drawbacks.  They are pricey, heavy, fragile (ceramic breaks), and replenishing the fire or smoking wood can be a pain in the butt.  That said, I hope to never be without a ceramic grill for the rest of my days.

The most important thing is have fun and enjoy the process.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:15 PM, Inxider said:

Thanks for advice guys,

well now that I think about it I would like the grill to also be efficient so it seem that the PK360 is not or I’m I wrong?

I've never used one, but it's cast aluminum and not as thick, so should be more conductive and probably wouldn't hold heat as well. Would probably use more charcoal in the winter too. Not sure how big a difference it would be.

Looks like that Vision B series at Sam's is on sale for $399. If it were me, out of those choices I think I would maybe go with that, unless you can find a good deal on the Pit Boss (sometimes they're cheaper at some Costco's in store, and even have been on sale at times). The Pit Boss is larger than the Vision, depending on what size you want.

After lusting over a  BGE for a few years and getting fed up with a gas Bbq. My wife and I finally bought the Costco Pitt Boss I am very happy with it and have completed all of the cooks you describe above on it. It's a great cooker and have recommended it to anyone who would listen. There are a couple of minor things you need to be aware of when buying one but they are well documented in the Pitt boss forum

42 minutes ago, Inxider said:

Thanks, well after watching quite a few videos and because I’m in the process of selling the motorcycle I think I would do what I was not even considering and up the game to the Weber Summit.

Not sure many people in here would consider that upping the game! Gassers have their uses but I can say that, after getting my Akorn (which is used once or twice a week at least), my expensive gasser has been used twice in over a year (and that was by my wife). The food tastes so much better off a charcoal cooker and smoking is much easier. You are also not going to get the sort of temps you can on a Kamado on the Summit.

8 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Not sure many people in here would consider that upping the game! Gassers have their uses but I can say that, after getting my Akorn (which is used once or twice a week at least), my expensive gasser has been used twice in over a year (and that was by my wife). The food tastes so much better off a charcoal cooker and smoking is much easier. You are also not going to get the sort of temps you can on a Kamado on the Summit.

I think he might be talking about this Weber summit...

3745555B-4285-4A73-B42D-4656742B81D5.png

9 minutes ago, Deebo said:

I think he might be talking about this Weber summit...

3745555B-4285-4A73-B42D-4656742B81D5.png

Oops, that makes more sense.  I did look it up but the aussie site showed the gas summit. I stand by my comments on charcoal vs gas but the summit may be a good option.

Yes I was referring to the kamado style Summit charcoal.

i been always afraid of a high grade ceramic kamado if for that moment you know accidents happens. 

This metallic one would put me at ease.

plus is been said is efficient like the big name ceramics.

but first I have to sell the motorcycle.

13 hours ago, Billy Grills said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else see something similar in this?: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjk2eqznTpB/?hl=en

:unsure:

I had the same thought...

4 hours ago, Inxider said:

Yes I was referring to the kamado style Summit charcoal.

i been always afraid of a high grade ceramic kamado if for that moment you know accidents happens. 

This metallic one would put me at ease.

plus is been said is efficient like the big name ceramics.

but first I have to sell the motorcycle.

Sounds like you’ve got some time to ponder your purchase. Look around and research in the meantime. Put your hands on what you can. At the end of the day, whatever you choose will be the right one for you. Don’t stress out about it too much.