KJTerp

New Joe Owner

Hi everyone! Glad to be here!

I got my KJ classic (and joetisserie and three bags of lump) at the MD roadshow last weekend, and if it ever stops raining, I plan to assemble and do the burn in. My question is this, what temp/time should I use for the burn in? I can't seem to easily find a consistent answer anywhere.

Thanks!

KJTerp

11 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

Hi everyone! Glad to be here!

I got my KJ classic (and joetisserie and three bags of lump) at the MD roadshow last weekend, and if it ever stops raining, I plan to assemble and do the burn in. My question is this, what temp/time should I use for the burn in? I can't seem to easily find a consistent answer anywhere.

Thanks!

KJTerp

Don't worry bout rain. You won't melt. Neither will Joe. Assembly is real quick and easy rain or shine. Don't worry bout burn in. I get the concept. Not a big deal imho.

Just clean the grates a bit just in the off chance there is some nasty stuff that came in contact with it. Then throw some lump in, fire it up and apply dead animal to the gates. Rinse. Repeat.

I like doing a burn in because it's a great excuse to sit outside and drink beer.

Just practice holding temps... Get it up to 225 and maintain it for 30 minutes or so then climb the ladder up to 250, 300, 350, 400, etc...

Load the firebox (and the cooler) to capacity. 

27 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

what exactly is a burn in?

Something absolutely necessary on steel grills and offsets to burn off any offending risual chemicals and to season the unit. Also necessary on wood burning pizza ovens to eliminate any moisture or humidity in the 'masonry' that may cause cracking when cooking at regular high temps.

Also, unnecessary in the kamado since it is kiln fired

As @prowe said, cleaning the grates is sufficient.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably just play around with the temps on my first fire up, and then settle in around 350 to do a chicken on the tisserie

wheres the best place to purchase accessories? I want to get an ash basket, and the expander, I think my tiny pizza stone will fit on the grill, but do i need the accessory rack for that?

19 hours ago, KJTerp said:

wheres the best place to purchase accessories? 

Kitchens & co has several locations in Delaware. They have a great assortment of KJ, Green Egg, and grilling accessories. 

1 hour ago, prowe said:

Kitchens & co has several locations in Delaware. They have a great assortment of KJ and grilling accessories. 

is amazon a good source too?

1 hour ago, KJTerp said:

Also, I've seen/heard about the new KJ ash basket vs the KAB. Thoughts?

My thought is a charcoal basket is a great accessorie for someone who cooks quite often. But I think you are putting the cart before the horse.  If you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket there are some useful accessories. But I think you should focus on the grill before deciding what accessories you need. Figure out how you cook, what you like, and what would make life easier. The only nessicary accessorie is lump.

Like Zepplin says “I want a Whole lotta lump”