CentralTexBBQ

Replacement Wire Mesh Gasket Install Journal

The good news, if I can call it after a month of waiting for this, is that they took $10 off of the price. The install on this is pretty straight forward: no instructions in the box. @John Setzler has a gasket video so, of course follow it.

Tools I'm using:

fullsizeoutput_622.thumb.jpeg.5ac419b40ed145b26ae251f6781844e1.jpeg

Just started removing gasket but, really didn't have much left. That said: Big Joe never leaked!

fullsizeoutput_61c.thumb.jpeg.b430bcec959c9eb6dc80f9d31ea8ad3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_61d.thumb.jpeg.1181bff2f564dc7724b2849ad498302a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_61e.thumb.jpeg.44c3a70d1d5706acb292d7cd18df1ff1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_61f.thumb.jpeg.6af9df9e9e37a00bf02a55c84f4bce3d.jpeg

After a good brushing:

fullsizeoutput_620.thumb.jpeg.f4efb762e834b36ce571238d7fb4d16a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_621.thumb.jpeg.62d7656765238183375b0a2323fe346c.jpeg

Sigh: can't locate my acetone :x Going with denatured alcohol instead of running to the store.

C... maybe C + on gasket removal.... 

You know what they say about paybacks....  ;)

Just kidding of course!  

Looking great so far and thanks for starting the thread. This is awesome. 

Still no update on mine....

53 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I'll give you a tip... go to an auto parts store and get a tube of the Permatex copper and use a thin bead of that long with the existing adhesive to stick those down.

Thanks John, I'll head out now. Unexpected thunder storm hit: got rained out for a minute there

2nd band of rain heading in: but I've done a little more work on the base and lid. And, trying to decide on the use of the two fabric bands. Obviously they are to cover the ends of the gasket as they meet. The question is: 

1. Do they wrap around the entire gasket lengthwise? In which case, that part of the gasket is not secured to the kamado. Or,
  2. Do they wrap around width wise? In which case, they simply hide the top portion of the gasket joint from view... hmmmm

fullsizeoutput_630.thumb.jpeg.ab40b4d03574eb97e6d5308a566d2365.jpeg

After cleaning with the D.A.

fullsizeoutput_62b.thumb.jpeg.8f43f87ebae75a0e62ffff486bd806da.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_62a.jpeg

I resigned myself to the fact that without about a week of training, I am not going to get that joint to look like the factory so, my best attempt is to join the ends before applying. I walked the gasket around the Big Joe rim until it met, marked it and cut it.

CAUTION: Do not ruin a part of scissors cutting this gasket!!! The gasket so much easier and faster with the snips.

fullsizeoutput_634.thumb.jpeg.469ebeb03ef1416580a1cd9ed261c3eb.jpeg

Also, I would get this done in one day as opposed to two. The permatex tip wouldn't cooperate after sitting overnight (yes, I did reseal the tube). But, I had to apply freehand so it was somewhat thicker than I would have preferred.

fullsizeoutput_635.thumb.jpeg.869dadafbd0e133ef11d665bada18e73.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_636.thumb.jpeg.34760fad1342f62a6d8294d7f37c913f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_639.thumb.jpeg.52118bbdb47c261de16e64eaf575fb77.jpeg

Now I'm done...

17 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Wow!  Thanks again for all the documentation on this. Can you explain a little bit more on how you had to do the joint?

I looped the gasket and inserted one end into the other (only about 1/4") removing a fraction of the adhesive tape so that it would stick. That's what you see in the 1st pic above in my last post. Then I applied the fabric to cover the joint: that's in that third pic. The adhesive on that fabric does not go all the way to the ends. There is approximately 1/16" to 1/8" of material that does not have the adhesive, (I unfortunately did not take a pic of that). I knew it'd be a challenge for me to make that joint look decent. It's ok, but it by no means satifies by borderline OCD. :-D

I haven't cooked on it yet: a lot of rain still. But it looks great. I probably need to keep the Big Joe covered in the rain now. The gasket can stick out just a tad and catch a little water. A second pair of hands would be priceless during the install to aid the the placement and to keep things in position- especially the top gasket.

The two great challenges are getting the joint to look decent (the place were the two ends of the gasket meet) and even more so, finding a way to prevent the back of the gasket (by the hinge) from being pushed forward or  pulled backward (depending on which gasket) as the Joe is being shut. Not as much of an issue when the first gasket (bottom in my case) is installed. But, moreso an issue when the top is installed (that is, when both gaskets are in place).

Hope that is clear. Once they are set, they are set. Happy that @John Setzler recommended the Permatex. It definately came in handy when I had to– tweak –the back of the top gasket.

Appreciate the tips you have given throughout this process @CentralTexBBQ!  Thanks for the detailed post to educate those of us to follow.  I'll be reviewing this a time or two before doing my gasket for sure (assuming I eventually receive it).  

That said, I'm glad yours came in before mine... relatively sure I wouldn't have been able to be this thorough with an installation post.  Maybe you should pursue that YouTube career after all... ;)