CentralTexBBQ

Replacement Wire Mesh Gasket Install Journal

50 minutes ago, Denicio said:

The only issue i ran into was this. I cut the bottom gasket too short by about 6". I managed to save it by takign the cut gasket and mending it with the square gasket wrap that they send in the package (2 of them).

Problem is i now have an exposed seam that looks like it can frey. I used the 2 gasket wraps on the normal seams.

Anyone know if i can get another square of this gasket wrap? 

Contact KJ support to find out. 

On 9/11/2018 at 3:13 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

Contact KJ support to find out. 

Got this back from KJ Support. 

"Good afternoon Dennis,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You can only buy the gasket as a kit. You can purchase one through your local dealer or ShoppersChoice.com.

Thanks,
Dawn"

Not really surprised as this is such a tiny part. Wonder if there is something i can substituted that would work?

One thing I can say, the new gaskets are much quieter than the old felt gaskets.  You don’t hear the lid close anymore. Not that this is a essential feature.  It’s just something you notice after the install. 

The heat retention is better and shutdown times are faster.  

The felt gaskets dry out quicker in the rain or snow after you heat up the grill.  The Fiberglass gaskets stay wet longer.  They don’t dry out easily. 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

One thing I can say, the new gaskets are much quieter than the old felt gaskets.  You don’t hear the lid close anymore. Not that this is a essential feature.  It’s just something you notice after the install. 

The felt gaskets dry out quicker in the rain or snow after you heat up the grill.  The Fiberglass gaskets stay wet longer.  They don’t dry out easily. 

Just got back from a weeks vacation and used the grill for the 1st time since i changed the gasket. YEP, you are correct. Its an odd benefit. Closes silently. Its got a nice bounce to it as well. Not sure how long that will last but i will enjoy this small perk while it lasts.

On 9/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

Oddly, my cool time times 'seem' longer.

Also, i have NO problem getting temps to 400+ rather quickly but notice that targeting lower temps may be a challenge. As once i shut it down it takes a dogs age to get to 200 and below. Not sure why. I have solid coverage on both gaskets so i dont see a leak. Maybe i just need to adapt to the way this new gasket works. I love the look and love the softer close (silent). 

I have yet to try a low and slow on it yet. 

3 hours ago, Denicio said:

Also, i have NO problem getting temps to 400+ rather quickly but notice that targeting lower temps may be a challenge. As once i shut it down it takes a dogs age to get to 200 and below. Not sure why. I have solid coverage on both gaskets so i dont see a leak. Maybe i just need to adapt to the way this new gasket works. I love the look and love the softer close (silent). 

Could it be that it is a better seal, so it is keeping the heat in better?

Just got the fiberglass gasket replacement kit for my old Joe. Cleaned off all the old gasket with a scraper, brush and acetone.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the gasket to stick to the ceramic. The 3M adhesive doesn't seem to be very sticky. Is this a defect, the cold weather or is something else wrong?

I also got some of that Copper that @John Setzler recommended. Would that help it stick or make the problem worse?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, leojhartiv said:

Just got the fiberglass gasket replacement kit for my old Joe. Cleaned off all the old gasket with a scraper, brush and acetone.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the gasket to stick to the ceramic. The 3M adhesive doesn't seem to be very sticky. Is this a defect, the cold weather or is something else wrong?

I also got some of that Copper that @John Setzler recommended. Would that help it stick or make the problem worse?

Thanks!

I did mine at the weekend at around 40F. I found the 3M adhesive was tacky enough to hold the gasket in place but that it was still possible to pull the gasket up again to do small alignment adjustments. 

I assume it cures into a stronger bond with heat and time. I did use 1/16 bead of permatex too but at 40F it probably isn't the best temperature to cure that either.

The gaskets held during a 4 hour cook at 350F yesterday.

Hi Leo, I did mine yesterday as well. It was in the 30's and it didn't seem like it was sticking the best. What I did was open and close the lid a little to make the adjustments to the whole gasket until it didn't completely look like crap. Then I put a couple starters in my ash pan and fired up the grill from down below to heat everything up. Got it hot, then shut it down.

My shoppers choice gasket didn't come with those joint covers, so I got to email them about that.

Thanks for your help, all!  I was all excited to move forward and laid my Copper down. I then went to put the gasket on and...well...I’m not happy. Looks like they sent me the wrong size. Both pre-cut pieces line up to be about 6” too short. I’m guessing they are for a classic. Grr!

D14FAB22-C5C4-4BA6-A187-09AE224F66C2.jpeg

On 10/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, Denicio said:

I have zero issues with tageting or maintaining low temps. Did a 4 hour cold smoke of some salmon back in September. Dailed in 150° like an oven and it sat right there with zero fluctuation for the entire cook. I should have thought of this before but, i have a little extra gasket material left over, if it would still be helpful

17 hours ago, leojhartiv said:

Thanks!

I tend to agree that colder weather could make adherence more dicey.

1 hour ago, leojhartiv said:

Thanks for your help, all!  I was all excited to move forward and laid my Copper down. I then went to put the gasket on and...well...I’m not happy. Looks like they sent me the wrong size. Both pre-cut pieces line up to be about 6” too short. I’m guessing they are for a classic. Grr!

wow... feel so bad for you. that really sucks.

6 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

wow... feel so bad for you. that really sucks.

+1 on that sentiment.

Wouldn't it make sense just to have one kit big enough for all of the units out there so that they only have to stock 1 kit? That way you never have to send out a replacement for this reason. The extra few inches of seal probably cost pennies anyway.