CentralTexBBQ

Replacement Wire Mesh Gasket Install Journal

1 hour ago, leojhartiv said:

Thanks for your sympathies!  I was bummed too. I sent an email to KJ and will probably hear back after the holiday. 

Stuff happens!  :)

Probably way too late, but I would think you could cut a piece from the upper gasket to fill the void on the bottom and just run with the one gasket on the bottom until you get resolution from KJ.  I think it would be fine as long as you fill in that section that’s missing. 

I just attempted this the othe day with my 3yr old Kamado Joe. Did anyone else have this issue where the gaskets would be completely smashed and sealed in the back, but slightly gaping open in the front? It only fully seals when i pull down on the lid or add some weights to the handle. Not too happy with how this turned out as it looks pretty sloppy and has a significant gap in the front

1A4F4ABE-333D-4C77-99D5-9E7D87D55462.jpeg

21 hours ago, Jhkaplan said:

I just attempted this the othe day with my 3yr old Kamado Joe. Did anyone else have this issue where the gaskets would be completely smashed and sealed in the back, but slightly gaping open in the front? It only fully seals when i pull down on the lid or add some weights to the handle. Not too happy with how this turned out as it looks pretty sloppy and has a significant gap in the front

Yes. I have the retrofit new style hinge and it had a large gap at the back with the original felt gaskets, that i'd tried to overcome by band adjustment. The result was that after fitting the new gasket it looked just like your photo. As per TKOBBQ i took the tension out of the spring, loosened both bands and squared things up. 

On 1/5/2019 at 8:52 AM, Hotblack Desiato said:

Yes. I have the retrofit new style hinge and it had a large gap at the back with the original felt gaskets, that i'd tried to overcome by band adjustment. The result was that after fitting the new gasket it looked just like your photo. As per TKOBBQ i took the tension out of the spring, loosened both bands and squared things up. 

Shaving the back pin on the lower band is the other option.  This allows you to lower the band by an additional 1/4 inch closing off the gap. 

So I am getting ready to replace my gasket.  At the same time I am replacing the banding and hinge.  One of the posts inferred that the best way to do the gasket was to remove the dome.   So is it not nessesary to have the two half's pressed together to seat the gasket properly?  Any details on this method of install would be appreciated. I have an original classic from 2011 an have taken it apart before.  None of the install pics have looked very clean or even.  Looking to achieve a factory installed look as this will be on my Joe along time. I am willing to do whatever is necessary.  Thanks in advance.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:39 AM, Jhkaplan said:

1A4F4ABE-333D-4C77-99D5-9E7D87D55462.jpeg

You must of removed the Dome to change the gasket otherwise nothing should of changed when installing the new gasket, specially when the new one is thicker 

Well I removed my bands. Scraped off side gaskets and top/bottom gaskets.  Scraped it all down.  Used a wire wheel on my drill to remove remaining adhesive. Wiped it all down with acetone.  Took this opportunity to really scrub the dome and remove black gunk that dripped out from kontrol tower. Installed new side gaskets and new banding.  Unrolled new gaskets and flattened out under a board with weights for two days.   Then I stretched out and pre bent gaskets on joe making it as round as possible. It seems like the adhesive backings  makes it difficult to curve the gasket.  It ripped in spots as I rounded the gasket but should be ok as I am going to use permatex. Now I am just waiting on the peratex to arrive today. I plan on setting the gaskets bolth on the same day as I have the top and bottom apart. I reomoved the hinge fom the new bands.  I will use frog tape and probably set a square piece of plywood on top of each gasket with a weight to hold down while it cures.  I think the benefit of having the grill apart for the install will be when I set the dome on the base I will have to adjust the bands to reattach the hinge allowing bolth top and bottom to sit perfectly before I install the springs. Also I won't have to close the joe before the permatex cures messing up the gasket placement if the alignment is not perfect, which since it is a thicker gasket is a good possibility.  I know this seems like alot of work but I want to like what I see as I will hopefully have this gasket on a long time.  This is my second time refurbishing this joe but the first time replacing the banding.  The first time I just sanded and painted the the original banding which was starting to rust. I plan on putting both of the gasket seams in the center in the back just like the new Joe's from the factory.  I will post pics when I am done.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:24 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

Shaving the back pin on the lower band is the other option.  This allows you to lower the band by an additional 1/4 inch closing off the gap. 

@Charcoal Addict Any chance you can please attach a pic of the pin you shaved to make it work?

On 1/30/2019 at 5:43 AM, UTVol said:

@Charcoal Addict Any chance you can please attach a pic of the pin you shaved to make it work?

Here’s some pics down below where I shaved off the back pin on the lower band for a Big Joe.

You don’t need the alignment pin in the back.   Only shave the back pin, you need the front pins on the bands to correctly align each ban so the dome and base match.

Shaving the back pin will give you the ability to lower or raise the band 1/4 inch in either direction to prevent a gap with new hinge.

35078C20-AA6D-4325-96FA-446F4FEBF2A2.jpeg

0FEA18FE-66B1-4771-9954-B03BCCDA5AAB.jpeg

D59CF909-C7D8-4A88-BC29-F1CD594CD872.jpeg

19100BE6-AA8C-4D37-90C8-0D376FBE1F12.jpeg