Rip

Is "Goo" required?

I have my Umai bags and have been getting my spare fridge prepped for the process. I'm looking for a rib eye roast for my first dry age attempt. According to the Umai instructions the juices from the pack should be drained from the pack but not not be rinsed off the roast.
Locally I can't find a roast that's been packed in its own juices. They are all pretty and clean like in the photo.
Will I get the same results if I use a clean roast instead of one that has the goo all over it?

I hate to waste a good roast for lack of goo.

Thanks

Ribeye-Roast-Boneless.jpg

You need to ask the meat manager to sell you a whole ribeye primal. It will still be in the original cryopac with all its glorious "goo". 

Warning were talking 18+ lbs so depending on the price per pound your wallet is going to get significantly lighter. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

You need to ask the meat manager to sell you a whole ribeye primal. It will still be in the original cryopac with all its glorious "goo". 

Warning were talking 18+ lbs so depending on the price per pound your wallet is going to get significantly lighter. 

Much appreciated.
So unless I ask for a prime primal, I'm getting a "pig in a poke" I guess....
So it's goo big or goo home!!!!

:good:Thanks!

For dry aging you really want the most fat cap. When they take a primal and trim it down to sellable roasts they trim off a lot fat. You really want that fat intact to help protect the meat during the dry aging process. 

Better to dry the outer layer of fat instead of an outer layer of good meat. 

I would suggest buying a roast at Costco or Sams Club. I bet that the price for prime beef is so much cheaper at Costco (I have purchased a prime roast for as low as ~$8/lb) that if you bought a membership then it would pay for itself with a single purchase. When we are talking about 12-14 lbs of prime beef then a difference of $5/lb or more makes a HUGE difference. The quality of the meat at Costco is top notch. I have dry aged one of the roasts that I purchased in a mini fridge and it turned out amazing. 

5 hours ago, bigssa said:

I would suggest buying a roast at Costco or Sams Club. I bet that the price for prime beef is so much cheaper at Costco (I have purchased a prime roast for as low as ~$8/lb) that if you bought a membership then it would pay for itself with a single purchase. When we are talking about 12-14 lbs of prime beef then a difference of $5/lb or more makes a HUGE difference. The quality of the meat at Costco is top notch. I have dry aged one of the roasts that I purchased in a mini fridge and it turned out amazing. 

Yeah I wish I had a Costco or a Sam's close by.  It's a 40-50 mile trip to either for me and that's why I never think of these stores when I'm looking for something.
I guess, in this case, it would pay to get a membership, to get a good prime roast even if I only used the membership a couple of times.
Thanks

Rip (who lives in BF Egypt) :)