daninpd

Deep Dish Chicago Style Stuffed

This is an old favorite from a cookbook my wife gave me a long time ago.  It  starts with a cornmeal  (or polenta) crust that is stuffed with spinach, hot Italian sausage, ricotta, mozzarella, S & P, and 1 tsp of Chinese 5 spice powder (the inspiration  for that is waaaay lost in the past, but it works).  You start with the bottom crust in a deep pan (I like a Springform pan) add the spinach and sausage filling and top with another crust, sealing the edges.  Bake at 475 for 10-15 minutes.  Then build a traditional pizza on top of that, crushed San Marzano tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, Parmesan.  Bake that at 475 for another 15 minutes or so.  The crust I used this time was:

1 cup Caputo pizza flour

1 cup Caputo Semolina flour

1 cup Polenta

1 pkg pizza yeast

1 cup 108 degree water

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

Mixed everything in the Kitchen Aid and used the dough hook to knead for 5 minutes. The dough was a little sticky, so added semolina ½ t at a time until it was smooth and elastic. Rolled in olive oil in a bowl and topped with plastic wrap. Let proof on the counter ½ hour and then into the fridge for 24 hours.  This makes a very crispy, crunchy pizza dough.

I included  a picture of the original recipe to show what my cookbooks look like after a few years.  If it isn't notes in the margin it's spatters of ingredients flying.

DMP_1342.JPG

DMP_1337.JPG

DMP_1336.JPG

DMP_1335.JPG

DMP_1332.JPG

DMP_1329.JPG

DMP_1327.JPG

DMP_1325.JPG

DMP_1346.JPG

DMP_1351.JPG

DMP_1356.JPG