Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

Decent Blueberry Crop This Year

Last year we had a late freeze that killed our entire Blueberry Crop. This year the winter was decent. A very rainy spring followed but a few hot sunny days. Mrs skreef picked our first harvest of the year. We only have 2 bushes but they are really big bushes. She got about 5 cups of Blueberries. We should get 3 or 4 times that many before it's all over. 

bberries1.thumb.jpg.2f46ad2ea3d465642c9167cfb42aa97a.jpg

bberries2.thumb.jpg.f62cd9e084f880e75496439203b730d7.jpg

YES PLEASE!

those look terrific.

timing is funny to see this post too, as i was recently watching an episode of The Hairy Bikers and they were roasting a chicken, and had included with it, some blueberry leaves and a handful of berries too.  was curious to see, and interesting to consider.

Love blueberries!!

We have a hunting camp up north in the woods and the field across the street is loaded with wild BB's end of summerish. I am hoping we have a good harvest this year..............we have to watch out for black bears when picking though!!

9 hours ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

Very nice you are able to have your own blue berries.  That bush looks very healthy.

It's about 10 years old. I started with 4 bushes. A few years into it 2 of the bushes died off. I have 2 left. The other one is just as big a little to the left just out of the picture. We grabbed another 4 cups of Blueberries tonight. Should get another 4-5 cups before next weekend when we go on vacation. I'm thinking some type of Blueberry pie tomorrow in the WFO. We'll see how tomorrow goes. 

On 6/4/2018 at 4:20 PM, gotzero said:

Awesome! Weird weather this year, but our garden is starting to fill out. Looking forward to moving beyond lettuce!

The only things I can grow is Blueberries and Rosemary (got a decent bush of that). When I was in my early 20's I could grow a different kind of plant but we won't talk about that - LOL 

On 6/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, riverfish said:

Love blueberries!!

We have a hunting camp up north in the woods and the field across the street is loaded with wild BB's end of summerish. I am hoping we have a good harvest this year..............we have to watch out for black bears when picking though!!

Where I live there are a bunch of wild blackberry plants. When my son was younger we used to scope the best bushes out. Pick a decent harvest then make Blackberry cobbler. 

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

Should get another 4-5 cups before next weekend when we go on vacation. I'm thinking some type of Blueberry pie tomorrow in the WFO. We'll see how tomorrow goes. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the cook. How about a desert pizza with the blueberries on the kamado?

3 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the cook. How about a desert pizza with the blueberries on the kamado?

We might have to do that after we come back from vacation. My cracker crust recipe would work perfect for that. 

I have another Blueberry surprise to post later today or tomorrow. 

Made a Blueberry pie yesterday. I'm not the best pie maker and I cheated using store bought dough. 

WFO6-10-18d.thumb.jpg.99fb93281e610928b73bc3ae948e3ddc.jpg

WFO6-10-18e.thumb.jpg.1172a3aff9b16cdd11614cac11772f73.jpg

WFO6-10-18f.thumb.jpg.e95774650c9e90458ce68c705eda1acd.jpg

I finally learned the story about an upcoming local (5 miles from the house) Blueberry farm. 

A few years ago an older couple planted about 100 Blueberry bushes. After the first year the husband's health took a turn for the worst and weeds took over killing about 1/3 of the small bushes. For the next couple of years the remaining bushes did okay but there was always a weed problem. Finally I drove by there yesterday and their daughter was out picking berries. She said they wanted to clean it up and start up a U-pick next year. Since there are so many weeds this year anybody can come by and pick as many berries as they want for free. We went back yesterday afternoon and picked a whole bunch of berries. That is a really big bowl and has 18 cups of Blueberries in it. We're going to be canning a bunch different Blueberry things this year ;)

BFarmB.thumb.jpg.cf5be5663f25b6471c02b9e6cb96c2cc.jpg

NFarmC.thumb.jpg.1d83792bd909080f2b0d05103f610e54.jpg

BFarmA.thumb.jpg.4fdf41fa9763a227f31b4fe864aa75be.jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, riverfish said:

Love blueberries!!

I love blueberries too. I go to Maine and pay a premium with no afterthoughtgs. However, a bear, now that would get me to drop the berries and become a devout carnivore. 

On 6/12/2018 at 10:17 PM, prowe said:

I love blueberries too. I go to Maine and pay a premium with no afterthoughtgs. However, a bear, now that would get me to drop the berries and become a devout carnivore. 

Or shoot the bear and eat it with some blueberry for dessert.