nicknolte

Help Identifying and restoring!

Hi All, 

I'm new to the Kamado family, I have an AKorn and fell in love with them. Tonight I had the chance to purchase an "original" tiled Kamado! I bought it and am now wondering what I have and how to go about getting the lower band :) I've talked to my wife about the tile, there are a couple missing. The lower pot inside is in tact. Any hep would be appreciated :) 

Kamado2.JPG

Kamado1.JPG

Welcome to the forum, @nicknolte!

I have moved this post to the “Other Kamados” section since it is not a Kamado Joe grill. 

I’m sure some of our pros will expand further, but I believe what you have is a Richard Johnson Kamado and I’m sure you will find out a lot as you research it.

That's a Richard Johnson creation, looks like a K7 and appears to be an older model by the looks of the wheel base.

There are a couple of lengthy threads in this sub forum on restoring these Kamados. Once restored and with some TLC

you should get many years of good service out of it.

The tough part of the restoration will be acquiring the bands with lift tubes and hinge assembly.

It actually is more of an entire unit in which the hinge holds the bands together and the lift assist tubes

are connected -welded- to both the upper and lower bands. Attached are pictures of the hinge and a

lift tube connected to the top and bottom bands.

A real long shot would be to find someone who has an unusable K7 and would be willing to part it out.

Another source might be Rocket Kamados. They bought out RJ's business so you might check with them

for parts.

http://www.kamadorocket.com/kamadorocket/kamado-rocket-barbecue-grill/kamado-rocket-barbecue-grill-model-specifications/

A third option would be to fabricate the bands yourself or have someone do it for you.

Welcome to the forum and Good Luck!

Hinge connecting the two bands in the back.

DSC_0567.JPG.c6d4e726644d1ac31515190ed074878d.JPG

Lift tube connected to upper and lower bands.

DSC_0565.JPG.83bb1439c51a2a276e22503ecaab2241.JPG

I've been researching all day and got stuck on the backstory! I appreciate the direction. I'm going to reach out to the tomorrow... I'm wondering what I can fabricate or have fabricated that may do the same thing if it comes to that. How would I find the age etc. Are there stamps, I haven't gotten that far on the research yet. 

There are no marks on the K's that I know of to determine the date of manufacture. From

your second picture I guesstimated that you have an early Kamado. because of the

wheeled base. RJ offered Kamado's with a wheeled base, like you have, or a set of

cast feet, which elevated the unit a few inches above the ground. I believe that tiled wheel bases

became available in the early 2000's. So I would guess that your K is a late 90's or early 2000's

vintage.

The tile used on Kamado's is actually pool tile. You may have to do an internet search of tile suppliers

to find a source which matches your tile color. It might even be available locally.

Just for your reference, the following chart is a screen shot from an earlier Kamado web page.

218365710_ScreenShot2017-06-23at4_33_57PM.thumb.png.a9440719368af7315a512dbe380cc5c9.png

Thanks for the info, Ive been looking around and tried to contact Kamado John via an email in another thread and it was returned. I'm hoping I'll be able to get the lifters and hinges from Galaxy outdoor. I put in an email to them so we'll see. I'm not that worried about the tile, my wife might want to retile the whole thing... But we will see :)

On 6/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, nicknolte said:

Thanks so much, I'm so excited to get this up and running so any help is always appreciated :) Thanks for welcoming me to the family :)

i love my mine i hope you can get it restored   it is the next best refractory cement kamado next to the  Komodo Kamado

So I've contacted many different people I've found online, at this point I haven't found parts I can get. I'm discussing with someone how to fabricate the band, and hinge assembly and creating a lift system that will work. I've also been thinking abut some sort of lift system that is almost like a cherry picker for an engine. I'm working all angles here to try and get this up and running so any input is helpful. 

On a side note I contacted the "Kamado Company" and received an email back from "Richard Johnson". I called the number listed on the site, left a message and got a call back from "Richard" Is this the Richard Johnson?

7 minutes ago, nicknolte said:

So I've contacted many different people I've found online, at this point I haven't found parts I can get. I'm discussing with someone how to fabricate the band, and hinge assembly and creating a lift system that will work. I've also been thinking abut some sort of lift system that is almost like a cherry picker for an engine. I'm working all angles here to try and get this up and running so any input is helpful. 

On a side note I contacted the "Kamado Company" and received an email back from "Richard Johnson". I called the number listed on the site, left a message and got a call back from "Richard" Is this the Richard Johnson?

I see everyone here has been avoiding the question, but I can't. Did you have more fun doing 48 Hours with Eddie Murphy or Blue Chips with Shaq? Both guys seems like real fine fellows and Eddie Murphy was still being funny when you starred in those movies with him. Do you have a favorite or is it too hard to choose?

7 minutes ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

I see everyone here has been avoiding the question, but I can't. Did you have more fun doing 48 Hours with Eddie Murphy or Blue Chips with Shaq? Both guys seems like real fine fellows and Eddie Murphy was still being funny when you starred in those movies with him. Do you have a favorite or is it too hard to choose?

BAHAHHAHHAA I was given the nickname in college and always go with it as a username, to see what trouble I can drum up... I wish I could summon Mr. Nolte! 

Image result for Nick nolte mug shot!

That's probably Richard Johnston, the original Kamado producer. If you are looking at lift tubes - what I call them -

the original ones were spring loaded. The newer ones from Galaxy, I believe, are the type found on tail gates

of SUV's only heavier duty and matched for the task. There used to be an older poster on the original Kamado

forum who purchased a K9 - the largest at the time - and he set up a pulley system with counter weights to help him

lift the lid.

25 minutes ago, nicknolte said:

1 minute ago, K_sqrd said:

That's probably Richard Johnston, the original Kamado producer. If you are looking at lift tubes - what I call them -

the original ones were spring loaded. The newer ones from Galaxy, I believe, are the type found on tail gates

of SUV's only heavier duty and matched for the task. There used to be an older poster on the original Kamado

forum who purchased a K9 - the largest at the time - and he set up a pulley system with counter weights to help him

lift the lid.

I' thinking that might be the way to go on this, just to get it up and running instead of sitting in my garage!