Auberins PID Controller Question

First post here and love reading all the valuable information on this forum!

I recently came into a Kamado Joe Big Joe along with an Auberins PID controller with a 6.5 CFM blower.  This appears to be the blower size for the classic Joe/BGE, but it works well for low and slow.  Tomorrow I am going to try my first high temp cook at 600F (pizza).  Will this blower be sufficient?  Would I be better served in getting a higher capacity blower for high temp cooks?  If so, 10 CFM or 20 CFM?  

TIA!   

Ditto again, especially if you have the standard thermocouple. I don't think its rated for direct heat above 450 or 500. You would need to wrap the braid in foil, and even then I don't know if it would tolerate 600F for an extended period of time.

As the others have said, crank open your vents. Keep an eye on things once you cross 400-450, it can get away from you real fast.

If the pit sensor is indeed a thermocouple and it is rated for temperatures up to 900 as some are, then fire it up and see how hot it gets.  At some point, a blower can be too  big as it blows more cold air into the pit than the fire can handle.  The standard fan for Heatermeters is 6.7CFM which is about the same size as yours and people do high heat cooks all of the time.  Every setup is different but you have nothing to lose but lump if yours doesn't work...  then again, if it doesn't then just open the vent and let it go the rest of the way without the fan.

Happy cooking

I've had good success with my pizza indoors at 550, but wanted to cook outside and a bit higher temp, thus the desire to use the temperature controller.  

Overall, it got me into the ballpark, but I needed to open the bottom vent some to get additional airflow.  I was checking the steel prior to launching each pizza and I was between 560-580.  I did three pizzas and the last one went a little long. I am not sure that I built the fire in the correct manner, so I will try again with the lower CFM blower.  This was my first time going for a high temp cook and also only the 3rd time that I've used the cooker, so still learning.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that the crust moisture content has an impact on the"proper" cooking temp. My dough is relatively dry so i need to cook at a lower temp to keep from burning the crust yet get the toppings done.