Wifie and I only. Need to know how much charcoal to use for a meal? I can cook for us for a three day leftovers. But really need a 1 day meal cookout for 3 chops or chicken. Do I use and reuse charcoal until burnout or do we know how much coal for single cook..hope you understand theater I’m asking 

After a few months of sitting idle, my Jr. has been cooking up a storm recently. It's a great size for cooking for 1 to 3 people. I keep reusing the charcoal from each cook but usually add a little fresh each time to help it get started faster. May 15th cook.

I've had 3 more cooks since that time.

I still have pieces that I started with on that May 15th cook.

Always start with a full bowl of lump to just under the tabs. Next cook use the grate lifter to gently stir the leftover lump. Top it off with fresh lump to just under the tabs. You can keep going like this for an easy 5-10 cooks until the ash pan down below is full. At that point empty the ash pan and continue onward. 

The only time you might consider cleaning all the lump out starting with totally fresh is if you are planning an exceptionally long low-n-slow burn. Also no really large pieces of lump. They just don't work that good in an Akorn Jr. 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

Always start with a full bowl of lump to just under the tabs. Next cook use the grate lifter to gently stir the leftover lump. Top it off with fresh lump to just under the tabs. You can keep going like this for an easy 5-10 cooks until the ash pan down below is full. At that point empty the ash pan and continue onward. 

The only time you might consider cleaning all the lump out starting with totally fresh is if you are planning an exceptionally long low-n-slow burn. Also no really large pieces of lump. They just don't work that good in an Akorn Jr. 

I've stopped using my Jr. after not too many cooks because I couldn't get it hot like I can on my Vision. I think I was doing something similar to this method, but I thought I wasn't getting enough airflow through the thing. Might have to give it another shot now

5 hours ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

I've stopped using my Jr. after not too many cooks because I couldn't get it hot like I can on my Vision. I think I was doing something similar to this method, but I thought I wasn't getting enough airflow through the thing. Might have to give it another shot now

About the only thing I use my Akorn Jr for is high heat searing. They can easily get to the point where you discolor or melt the paint on them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Always reuse charcoal 

I usually clean out the old charcoal after a cook 

I have a garden sifter that has approx 1/4 inch holes , shake all the charcoal out and gets rid of all the ash 

some new charcoal in the firebox and add in a bunch of the used 

I have a bucket of old used charcoal ,

I reuse the much smaller bits in my Weber go anywhere as well , not much charcoal gos to waste and for whee I am charcoal isn’t cheap so make the most of it