Sign in to follow this  
AntinOz

Anova arriving this week...

37 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

Hopefully, as I ordered it on Saturday. Now, what to cook first? Anova were having a good sale in Aus and I couldn't resist.

Welcome to the club!

The sky's the limit on what to cook first.  

We would season and sear (just to get some color) tri-tips on nice winter days when grill accessibility was good.  And then we would sous-vide to temp on crummy snowy days.  

I've done cheaty brisket (bugger that 12 hour cook time for a joke :-P ), fish, pork shoulder, pork chops and steaks.

Fish was a bit of a waste, because it's not that hard (or that long) to get it right on the Kamado.

A nice thick scotch fillet is pretty much a fail-safe way to go.  sous vide it, then throw it on the kamado to char it up.

Let us know what you end up doing.

OMG!!  i bought one on the sale as well!!  I haven't used it yet ... i'm painting my house and cranking up the new kamado was more than enough excitement for one weekend. LOL   I'm really looking forward to doing salmon and steak ( separately, not surf and turf) ,,, and was actually looking forward to perfect eggs until I saw the difficulties with this on the various you tube channels.   Have you seen the posts about sous viding big packs of bacon and then flash frying on one side?  That's what inspired me to buy mine!  Am really looking forward to hearing about your first sous vide experience AntonOz :-)  so exciting!

9 hours ago, Lydia said:

Have you seen the posts about sous viding big packs of bacon and then flash frying on one side?

OMFG no, not YET....  

That sounds amazing.  What a time to be alive.

On a slightly less exciting note, I've been buying those Bruemar pre-prepped pork portions (wanted to say pork roasts, but I was on a p-run) (ok, p-run sounds like I'm staggering to the dunny...  this is going downhill fast... :-D ).   Anyway, those pre-shrink-wrapped-and-seasoned pork loin/chops/bits are great to chuck into the sous vide before you leave for work, and then they're ready to eat when you get home (just whip up some veggies or chips).  Not gonna get me on Masterchef any time soon, but a quick n easy meal for a weeknight.

Haaaa haaaa!! YOu're too funny !! :rofl:

WOW!! What a brilliant idea I love it!!!

and yes indeed, it is an amazing time to be alive! :-)

Re" the bacon, it only works if the package is properly vacuum sealed because some packages are just glued together so they come undone after a while and the poor people have returned to their container containing an absolute mess. No deliciousness there unfortunately.

10 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Hoping it arrives before the weekend.

Hey AntinOz, it occurred to me this morning to ask whether you've got a vacuum sealer?  I did quite a bit of research and found this fantastic brand called Luvelle with the best reviews.  I've gone with the deluxe model which has some better features than the other model and it's $90 off if you pre-order for delivery in August.  Given it's superiority as a product and what the company stands for, I was willing to wait that long for it ... and  the clincher for me is that it's Australian made.!! I think you will be impressed: http://bit.ly/2lGrbPz  let me know what you think :-)

49 minutes ago, Lydia said:

Re" the bacon, it only works if the package is properly vacuum sealed 

Oooh yeah, been there...  One time I had a lovingly prepared brisket decided to pop a seal...  Came back to murky sous vide water, and a ruined slab of meat.  Oh, the heartache.

10 minutes ago, KamadoJosephine said:

Oooh yeah, been there...  One time I had a lovingly prepared brisket decided to pop a seal...  Came back to murky sous vide water, and a ruined slab of meat.  Oh, the heartache.

Oh NO!!  That would have been devastating ... i think i would have lamented over that for days.

2 hours ago, Lydia said:

Hey AntinOz, it occurred to me this morning to ask whether you've got a vacuum sealer?  I did quite a bit of research and found this fantastic brand called Luvelle with the best reviews.  I've gone with the deluxe model which has some better features than the other model and it's $90 off if you pre-order for delivery in August.  Given it's superiority as a product and what the company stands for, I was willing to wait that long for it ... and  the clincher for me is that it's Australian made.!! I think you will be impressed: http://bit.ly/2lGrbPz  let me know what you think :-)

Well, that link went somewhere interesting (Amazon Japan) but yes, in fact, I have two vacuum sealers at the moment. A sunbeam that never gets used and a cheap Aldi one that we love. I will keep the Luvele in mind for if the Aldi one breaks down. We also have a portable one with resealable bags that we use for camping (and a lot of storage at home now), but not sure how the one-way valves on them would handle being submerged.

3 hours ago, KamadoJosephine said:

Anyway, those pre-shrink-wrapped-and-seasoned pork loin/chops/bits are great to chuck into the sous vide before you leave for work, and then they're ready to eat when you get home

Do you just chuck the whole pack in as is?