Sign in to follow this  
AntinOz

Anova arriving this week...

Well I had a fun weekend of playing. After the Scotch Fillet on Friday night, tried chicken breast on Saturday. This came out lovely and tender although not sold on the seasoning I put on it.

Last night was pork chops at 60C for about 3.5 hours. We were playing with the new seasonings I got from Aldi so we had three different flavours on the pork, all were delicious. This was a strange cook for me as the meat was cooking away inside while I lit up the Akorn for some roast veggies to go with it. Pretty simple fare, potatoes, onions and carrots. This worked really well, the Akorn sat at 200C for an hour to nicely cook the veggies and then opened it up for a few minutes and had it up to 300+ to sear the pork.

I must have done something right as my wife was muttering about what to cook tonight after I did three delicious cooks over the weekend. This Kamado and this site have really had an impact on the quality of what we eat, both on and off the bbq! Oh, and an impact on the wallet as well :)

Oh, and I still have two weekends to go to get my pizza done for the challenge!

7 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Sounds like you had a great first weekend with the Anova!  One of many to come, I'm sure.  Nice job!  

And no slacking on your pizza entry because you're playing with the new toy.... let's make that clear.  :)

Yeah, I can see it being put to use a lot for pre-packaged meats etc. From freezer to plate!

I was trying to form an image of a Sous Vide pizza in my head, but it just wouldn't work. As the number of tools in the kitchen increase, the challenge is going to be choosing the most appropriate tool for the job. There are some really stupid sous vide recipes out there where people are obviously trying to hard.

3 hours ago, AntinOz said:

This Kamado and this site have really had an impact on the quality of what we eat, both on and off the bbq! Oh, and an impact on the wallet as well :)

Yep, yep and yep.... I feel your pain...  :)