Sign in to follow this  
AntinOz

Anova arriving this week...

26 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

Well, that link went somewhere interesting (Amazon Japan)  

- yes that is weird - that ugly remote control picture that came up LOL.  Anyway, sounds like you'e sorted.  Have you decided what your first cook will be?

1 minute ago, Lydia said:

Have you decided what your first cook will be?

I will probably wander into the butchers on Friday or Saturday (depending when it arrives) and decide then. He does often have some tasty looking eye fillet, or pork, or....

2 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

I will probably wander into the butchers on Friday or Saturday (depending when it arrives) and decide then. He does often have some tasty looking eye fillet, or pork, or....

eye fillet sounds great!! :-)  If you haven't seen it, there is a channel on youtube called sousvideeverything and they have some good experiments and tips for getting great results.  Would be great to see some pic's :-)

4 minutes ago, Lydia said:

eye fillet sounds great!! :-)  If you haven't seen it, there is a channel on youtube called sousvideeverything and they have some good experiments and tips for getting great results.  Would be great to see some pic's :-)

LOL, I just had a meeting canceled at work and filling time to the next one. Just subscribed to that channel.

probably obvious question, but I'm a big believer in "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" - have you guys seen the serious eats sous vide articles?

EDIT: "There are no stupid question.  There are, however, stupid people who ask questions."

1 minute ago, KamadoJosephine said:

probably obvious question, but I'm a big believer in "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" - have you guys seen the serious eats sous vide articles?

EDIT: "There are no stupid question.  There are, however, stupid people who ask questions."

ha ha haaaaa!! Love your edit!!  :rofl:Too True!  Yes, actually, Serious Eats is always my go-to site for any recipes/techniques but thank you so much for suggesting it.   OMG ... i got the most amazing rocky road ice-cream recipe and tiramisu recipe from there, amongst others but they are definitely the most memorable..  There was also one for crumpets but I've never got around to trying it.  Do you have a stand out from the site?

10 minutes ago, Lydia said:

.  Do you have a stand out from the site?

Yeah got a few...

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Never got eggs working properly in the sous vide (apart from 1 time when i got lucky).  White was normally too runny and yuck.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html?ref=search

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/03/dry-aged-sous-vide-torched-and-seared-bone-in-ribeye-recipe.html

25 minutes ago, KamadoJosephine said:

cool, thanks - I"ll check them out.

7 minutes ago, Lydia said:

cool, thanks - I"ll check them out.

I love that seared steak one, very theatrical and fun.

Ironically, I haven't used my MAPP blowtorch on a steak since I got the Kamado - i now use it to light my KJ  :-D  :-D

1 hour ago, KamadoJosephine said:

I will go to that site often if I am thinking about using the SV for something new. It is so simple its stupid, but the SV bacon is worth doing. 

1 minute ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

I will go to that site often if I am thinking about using the SV for something new. It is so simple its stupid, but the SV bacon is worth doing. 

I'm assuming your post has something of great worth, and insight, and value in it.

Which is unfortunate, because I can't read it through the tears of laughter about your username :rofl:

13 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Scotch Fillet, SPG, 54.5C for 2 hours. Seared on the Akorn. Possibly the best steak i have ever cooked. 

IMG_20180615_194117.thumb.jpg.71ba729c7d8f8a76123260c5865348d9.jpg

Well you certainly put that to good use right away!  Looks nothing short of perfect. Great job.