Thanks to Kismet Kamado for putting me on to the technique detailed by keeperovdeflame on how to cook an easy spatchcock chicken.  I changed up my recipe by mixing my homemade basil pesto with some butter and putting that under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs.  Also, the veggies i used in the tray under the chicken were potato, carrots and parsnips from my garden and some little purple shallot onions.

I was travelling quite nicely at 400 - 410F when I walked away and returned for it to be up to 450.  I tried closing the vents right down and it did work, so I took it all out after about 1 hour.  You will notice in my photos that I have two probes, one in the the thigh and the other in the breast.  Something seemed to go awry with what I thought was a good plan because the beeper started beeping on the weber temperature thingo after about 10 mins, alerting me that the chicken was finished, which it obviously wasn't.  Not sure what I did wrong with the positioning, so would appreciate any feedback about that.

The chicken turned out  absolutely deeeeelicious!!!  The skin was lovely and crispy and all parts of the bird, even the breast, lovely and juicy. :bravo:

Unfortunately my lovely veggies didn't turn out so well, with the majority being too far on the charred side of things, with the bottoms quite burnt.  The parts that did turn out well, were really delicious because of the chicken and pesto flavoured drippings, so I will definitely try this method again.  I was a bit reluctant to use my expensive staub in the kamado, so had used a metal tefal baking dish but think that perhaps placing it directly on the diffuser might have been the issue?  Maybe I should have used a trivet as a spacer??  

Another thing I realised afterwards was that I shouldn't have  removed so much of the excess skin from around the neck because of the inevitable shrinkage.  It's all learning! :-)

Suffice to say, we all really loved the meal and the Christening of my beloved new Kamado Joe Classic II.   It was a pretty small bird but I tell you what, that chicken and pesto smelt absolutely amazing 10 mins into the cook!!

LOL, nothing against my Pro Q 20 elite but when my husband saw how quickly the kamado got to 400F with absolutely no mess or fuss, he was astonished and suitably impressed! :-)

I actually wasn't going to share details of this first cook because it isn't my best work but I am confident that I - like everyone else - will learn lots along the way.  

Thanks for reading my first post on my first cook.  Have a great day! :-)

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_E5599.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

That is a BEAUTIFUL Bird!  Love how you put your own twist with your pesto butter.  You are exactly right on the issue with the veggies.  Many here will use copper elbows found in the plumbing section of the hardware store for spacers.  In a bind, you can use wadded up aluminum balls.  I bought some ceramic spacers when I made a purchase of stones and I love those to pieces - got them in various heights (from 1/2" to 3" or so) and they are terribly useful.

Thank you for sharing your first cook with us.  We all have fond memories of our first cooks and I wish I had been active enough on the forum at the time to have documented mine.  :)

We look forward to seeing more now of course.... ;)

I am definitely going to try the pesto under the skin, as that looks and sounds really nice. I very rarely trim any of the excess skin at all when I take the spine out. This looks like something that is a little easier on the Akorn, for my last cook I put the veggies on the grill and the chicken on the raised rack over the grill. This also helped crisp the chicken more.

As for the probes, I had a similar experience on my last cook and checked with a thermapen to find out that my temp was way out. I think I had gone too deep through the thigh.

3 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

That is a BEAUTIFUL Bird!  Love how you put your own twist with your pesto butter.  You are exactly right on the issue with the veggies.  Many here will use copper elbows found in the plumbing section of the hardware store for spacers.  In a bind, you can use wadded up aluminum balls.  I bought some ceramic spacers when I made a purchase of stones and I love those to pieces - got them in various heights (from 1/2" to 3" or so) and they are terribly useful.

Thank you for sharing your first cook with us.  We all have fond memories of our first cooks and I wish I had been active enough on the forum at the time to have documented mine.  :)

We look forward to seeing more now of course.... ;)

awwwww... shucks!  Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments Kismet  ... You're too sweet! :-)  I like the idea of the little ceramic feet .... i think we're kindred spirits.  My Kamado is sitting out there all nice and spotless waiting for it's next job. :-)

29 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

I am definitely going to try the pesto under the skin, as that looks and sounds really nice. I very rarely trim any of the excess skin at all when I take the spine out. This looks like something that is a little easier on the Akorn, for my last cook I put the veggies on the grill and the chicken on the raised rack over the grill. This also helped crisp the chicken more.

As for the probes, I had a similar experience on my last cook and checked with a thermapen to find out that my temp was way out. I think I had gone too deep through the thigh.

Thanks AntinOz, I reckon you'll really like it ... pumped full of flavour!  Yes, i will know better with the veggies next time.   LOL... I think I was on another planet when i trimmed off that skin because on the planet where i live, there is no such thing as too much crispy chicken skin!  From now on, it's staying put! :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By taylola2010
      Assembly of the akorn jr was easy. Especially with help from my 9 month old son lol  First cook on the acorn jr. Two cornish hens. I rubbed them with olive oil and cowboy rub. When they were almost finished I put a little homemade bbq sauce a friend gave me on them. They were very good. Fell off the bone. I let the grill get too hot at first, but I brought it back down to between 300-325 and watched it until it got to 165 on the probes. I do not trust the akorn jr temp gage at all. My probes were saying it was 75-100 degrees hotter than the gauge on the dome. I used the bbqube for indirect cooking. I think it was a great investment. I plan on using a pie pan or something to put liquid under my meat sometimes. 

• By Lydia
      Even with the phenomenal amount of lead time, I didn't  think I was going to get an entry in this month due to many factors, not withstanding the fact that I kept changing my mind about what I would do could achieve. LOL 

We have a very dear friend coming to visit this weekend, so I used it as an opportunity to make some things on the Kamado that I had only previously made indoors and on the Weber Baby Q.

These are hand-on-heart some of my absolute favourite recipes and I'm really excited to share them with you guys and I really, really hope that you try some of them. ESPECIALLY the pork skewers and satay sauce!!  They are amazing!  Infinitely better on the Kamado (as you guys would already know!) LOL ... and the lemongrass curry... it's such a flavour bomb ... and the fishcakes aren't too shabby either LOL .   Seriously though - they're very authentic in flavour and texture.

My intent was to challenge myself by making dessert in the Kamado and I thought that a brownie would lend itself beautifully.  I have to admit that I ended up doing it in the oven for the sake of timeliness. The Kamado was well-busy pumping out a curry, grilled chicken and pork skewers!  Maybe I can convince hubby that we need a Junior? ha haaa!

The recipes are too authentic to be my own because I'm not Thai but they are truly delicious and from some of my favourite food bloggers and cooking channels, so I will let you know who from and maybe they'll become yours too?

Prep commenced last night ... so here goes.    

Lydia’s Little Thai Banquet Menu

Pork Skewers with Satay Sauce (by Pailin's Hot Thai Kitchen - YouTube) Fish Cakes with Dipping Sauce (by Pailin's Hot Thai Kitchen - YouTube) Coconut Rice (by Recipe Tin Eats - Recipe blogger) Lemongrass Chicken Curry (by Not Quite Nigella - Food and Travel blogger -  with some adaptations by me). I have to mention that the idea of making the curry on the Kamado was inspired by Glenn's Aussie BBQ cooking channel on YouTube.  The guy is a real character with some great recipes and techniques.   Jaffa Brownie (Gemma's Bigger Bolder Baking - with adaptations by me)  
      Pork Satay Skewers

450g pork loin steaks

Marinade/brine (min 2 hours but preferably overnight)

1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seed (lightly toasted)
      1/2 teaspoon cumin
      1 Tablespoon lemongrass  finely chopped (just the inside, remove the hard outer)
      1 teaspoon chopped galangal
      1/2 teaspoon turmeric (fresh or dried)
      1/8 teaspoon white pepper
      1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
      1/8 teaspoon cloves
      2 teaspoons brown sugar
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/3 cup coconut milk
      1/2 Tablespoon vinegar
      1/4 cup water
      Extra coconut milk for brushing when cooking

Pound the lemongrass and galangal into as smooth a paste as you can using a mortar and pestle Add the toasted coriander seeds and grind Add remaining dry ingredients and grind Add wet ingredients and mix through With the steaks, cut  them down the centre along the length of the steak and then slice into 1/4 inch / 6 cm pieces Marinade overnight if possible  
      Next morning

Soak your skewers (if bamboo) in water for a couple of hours Skewer 3 pieces onto each stick and try to get one piece with the fat strip on it, per skewer I bbq’d these direct on the kamado with all the coals pushed to one side and the cast iron grate in the lower position. Baste one side with plain coconut milk and placed basted side down on the grate and then baste the other side that is facing up.  

Peanut Sauce (also amaaaazing just served with veggies) I implore you to try making this!!!

1/2 cup roasted peanuts ground up rough in the food processor
      2 Tablespoons lightly toasted white sesame seeds 
      1/4 cup coconut milk
      Plus 1 cup coconut milk
      1/3 cup curry paste (either red or Penang)
      2 Tablespoons brown sugar
      2  to 3 Tablespoons tamarind juice (I soaked a 1/16th block of the package pictured in a small bowl of boiling water for 15 mins and then mushed it up using my fingers until there was nothing left to squeeze out and then strained out the solids to end up with the liquid).
      a splash or so of Fish sauce to taste

Put 1/4 cup coconut milk into a small pot and reduce by half Add curry paste and cook, stirring until it's thickened and the red oil starts to separate (about 5 mins) Add the other cup of coconut milk and peanuts and sesame and stir until well combined Add sugar and tamarind juice Add a couple of splashes of fish sauce Simmer and keep stirring until thickened. Keep stirring, otherwise it will catch Taste and check whether extra sugar or fish sauce is needed for balance Mine sat for a while whilst I did all the other stuff so it was quite thick when I went to serve it, so just add some water and heat it up and it will be perfect   
      Fish Cakes and Thai dipping sauce

Dipping sauce

1 big red chilli (mild for flavour)
      1 - 2 small Thai chills (spicy for heat)
      3 cloves garlic
      3 Tablespoons water
      1/3 cup vinegar
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 cup sugar

To serve:

1 tablespoon finely chopped cucumber
      1 tablespoon ground roasted peanuts
      1 tablespoon finely chopped purple shallot (I left this out because of an allergy)

Blitz first 7 ingredients in blender Heat on stove, stirring until thickened (3 to 5 mins) Allow to cool Just prior to serving, add cucumber, peanuts and shallots (and a bit of water to loosen up if needed)  

Fish cakes

350g tender white fish (must be very cold from fridge)
      2 to 3 Tablespoons red curry paste
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon sugar
      1 teaspoon fish sauce
      1/2 cup green beans chopped into small bits
      1/3 cup Thai basil (spicy)
      4 -5 kaffir lime leaves finely shredded (I substitute with lemon myrtle leaves because I have a tree)

Blend up very cold fish and curry paste, egg yolk and sugar in blender until well combined and mixture is bouncy (doesn't take long at all) Transfer to a bowl and combine remaining ingredients with a spatula Using wet hands and tablespoon, form into small patties and then shallow fry in something like rice bran or peanut oil. If you have dry hands, you will end up with a sticky mess and wasted ingredients). Pan fry until golden brown.  

Coconut rice

The secret is using coconut powder (not  coconut milk!) and kaffir lime (or lemon myrtle) leaves. Coconut powder makes the rice light and fluffy without the residual gunk on the surface you get from using coconut milk, and the kaffir lime leaves is the secret ingredient that gives this rice that special aroma.

1 cup jasmine rice (or long grain)
      1 1/2 cups water
      1 packet coconut milk powder (1.75 oz / 50 g)
      2 large or 3 small kaffir lime leaves , crumpled in your hand (I used lemon myrtle from my tree)
      1/2 tsp salt
      3/4 tsp sugar
      1 tbsp desiccated coconut , toasted, to garnish (optional) - I just topped with a little finely shredded lemon myrtle leaf that I had set aside for the job

1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over high heat.
      2. Place lid on (clear glass lid is good if you don't have x-ray vision)
      3. When it comes to the boil, (watch it, you don’t want it to boil over), turn the heat down to low so it is simmering gently
      4. Leave to simmer for 12 to 15 mins or until all the liquid has been absorbed
      5. Remove from the heat and rest for 5 to 10 mins
      6. Fluff with a form and garnish with toasted coconut or extra shredded lime leaf, if using and then serve

Lemongrass Chicken Curry

500g chicken thigh (which I pounded slightly to even out thickness) prior to grilling on cast iron grate in lower position at 200C
      2 sticks lemongrass
      Coconut or peanut oil for frying
      1 onion, peeled and chopped fairly small dice (or four purple shallots as shown above)
      2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
      1 inch ginger, sliced
      4cm stick of turmeric, peeled and chopped into small bits
      1 - 2 small chillies - sliced
      2 tomatoes - chopped  (I forgot to include them in the photo)
      2 tablespoons fish sauce
      1.5 teaspoons sugar
      1 cup water
      1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
      I added some tofu puffs which are amazing flavour explosions because they're like curry-sauce-absorbing-sponges, as well as some baby corn and snow peas . 

Split the lemongrass sticks in half horizontally and bash the cut side with the blunt end of a knife. Place the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric and chilli in a mortar and pestle or a food processor and bash or process away. I set up the kamado with half coals on one side to create direct and indirect zones and then placed the wire grates in the top position I added  coconut oil to a cast iron low skillet with a lid and fried the paste mixture until fragrant and then added the corn Add the lemongrass and tomatoes. Then add the fish sauce, water and sugar. Simmer for 20-30 minutes covered. Add snow peas and and tofu 5-10 mins before serving Set aside Cook off the chicken thighs in lower position as described above and then chop and add to the curry.  

Jaffa brownie

Jaffa  Brownie

My grand plan was to make this on the Kamado but I was creating a rod for my own back, so that didn't happen.  I’m definitely not going to tell you American peeps how to make a brownie because I’m sure you all have handed-down family recipes far superior to mine, but my twist is to add the microplaned rind of an orange to really lift the flavour.  Choc orange is one of my favourite dessert flavour combos.

I would really love if you would try some of these recipes and let me know if you do and what you think of them.  Bon Apetit.

• By Tony Chick
      I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter. I'm using lump charcoal, put a weber fire starter near the top of the heap and let it flame for a bit, then shut the lid, crack the top vent and set the PartyQ for 350. Once at temp, the thighs go on for about an hour.

Am I lighting it correctly, should I use a different temp?. I'm all for a bit of smoke taste but these have way too much
    • By psholder
      Hi all -
      Been using the Akron for a few weeks now and falling in love.  Did some chicken breasts over the weekend....turned out great.  
      I’d like to try my hand at smoking or a low-n-slow with chicken this weekend.  What range of temps should I shoot for, and how long?
      Planning on using some light wood chips, as I think I remember the darker the wood, the heavier the smoke.  

Thanks all!
    • By PeteHr
      The weather was lovely this weekend so it was definitely a grilling weekend...

Saturday I did my first attempt at Turkish Pide bread. This is how it looked just before putting on a pizza stone in the grill:

The black seeds are Nigella seeds which impart a very unique (and very nice) flavour. I often use them with rice. But anyway, after about 20 minutes at 220C:

Overall I was very pleased with the results, although the bottom could have been a bit crisper (I think I should have let the pizza stone heat up more - despite what the recipe said....)

While this was cooling down a bit half of it got eaten but did some Chicken supremes which had been in a piri-piri based marinade all day, and once they were done some olive oil brushed aubergine slices:

Really good chicken - I love piri-piri !  Pide was definitely better when really warm - just needs 10 minutes to cool slightly...

Sunday I did leg of lamb. Firstly I made deep slits into the flesh of the lamb and then made a marinade paste of EVO, lemon juice, garlic, fresh parsley and oregano, seasoning, and anchovy fillets (with the olive oil from the tin). This had about 6 hours marinating then into a hot (220C) grill and then closed the vents down to let cool down to about 180C. Basted a few times with the drippings then after about 1.5 hours this is what it looked like:

Removed the meat and covered with foil to rest while I got the cast iron griddle out and got the temperature back up so the griddle was nicely hot. Then griddled some previously part cooked (steamed) carrots and asparagus which had been dressed with EVO:

Then while I kept this little lot warm in the gasser (it does have it's uses....) griddled some Aubergine which had been brushed with EVO:

Served with some super fresh Cornish new potatoes (not pictured). Everything was really lovely - but the real star of the show was the Lamb. It had a real depth of flavour - I've used Anchovies with Lamb before but not in a marinade - but they really do work....  Will definitely do this again !!!