Thanks to Kismet Kamado for putting me on to the technique detailed by keeperovdeflame on how to cook an easy spatchcock chicken.  I changed up my recipe by mixing my homemade basil pesto with some butter and putting that under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs.  Also, the veggies i used in the tray under the chicken were potato, carrots and parsnips from my garden and some little purple shallot onions.

I was travelling quite nicely at 400 - 410F when I walked away and returned for it to be up to 450.  I tried closing the vents right down and it did work, so I took it all out after about 1 hour.  You will notice in my photos that I have two probes, one in the the thigh and the other in the breast.  Something seemed to go awry with what I thought was a good plan because the beeper started beeping on the weber temperature thingo after about 10 mins, alerting me that the chicken was finished, which it obviously wasn't.  Not sure what I did wrong with the positioning, so would appreciate any feedback about that.

The chicken turned out  absolutely deeeeelicious!!!  The skin was lovely and crispy and all parts of the bird, even the breast, lovely and juicy. :bravo:

Unfortunately my lovely veggies didn't turn out so well, with the majority being too far on the charred side of things, with the bottoms quite burnt.  The parts that did turn out well, were really delicious because of the chicken and pesto flavoured drippings, so I will definitely try this method again.  I was a bit reluctant to use my expensive staub in the kamado, so had used a metal tefal baking dish but think that perhaps placing it directly on the diffuser might have been the issue?  Maybe I should have used a trivet as a spacer??  

Another thing I realised afterwards was that I shouldn't have  removed so much of the excess skin from around the neck because of the inevitable shrinkage.  It's all learning! :-)

Suffice to say, we all really loved the meal and the Christening of my beloved new Kamado Joe Classic II.   It was a pretty small bird but I tell you what, that chicken and pesto smelt absolutely amazing 10 mins into the cook!!

LOL, nothing against my Pro Q 20 elite but when my husband saw how quickly the kamado got to 400F with absolutely no mess or fuss, he was astonished and suitably impressed! :-)

I actually wasn't going to share details of this first cook because it isn't my best work but I am confident that I - like everyone else - will learn lots along the way.  

Thanks for reading my first post on my first cook.  Have a great day! :-)

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_E5599.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

That is a BEAUTIFUL Bird!  Love how you put your own twist with your pesto butter.  You are exactly right on the issue with the veggies.  Many here will use copper elbows found in the plumbing section of the hardware store for spacers.  In a bind, you can use wadded up aluminum balls.  I bought some ceramic spacers when I made a purchase of stones and I love those to pieces - got them in various heights (from 1/2" to 3" or so) and they are terribly useful.

Thank you for sharing your first cook with us.  We all have fond memories of our first cooks and I wish I had been active enough on the forum at the time to have documented mine.  :)

We look forward to seeing more now of course.... ;)

I am definitely going to try the pesto under the skin, as that looks and sounds really nice. I very rarely trim any of the excess skin at all when I take the spine out. This looks like something that is a little easier on the Akorn, for my last cook I put the veggies on the grill and the chicken on the raised rack over the grill. This also helped crisp the chicken more.

As for the probes, I had a similar experience on my last cook and checked with a thermapen to find out that my temp was way out. I think I had gone too deep through the thigh.

3 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

That is a BEAUTIFUL Bird!  Love how you put your own twist with your pesto butter.  You are exactly right on the issue with the veggies.  Many here will use copper elbows found in the plumbing section of the hardware store for spacers.  In a bind, you can use wadded up aluminum balls.  I bought some ceramic spacers when I made a purchase of stones and I love those to pieces - got them in various heights (from 1/2" to 3" or so) and they are terribly useful.

Thank you for sharing your first cook with us.  We all have fond memories of our first cooks and I wish I had been active enough on the forum at the time to have documented mine.  :)

We look forward to seeing more now of course.... ;)

awwwww... shucks!  Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments Kismet  ... You're too sweet! :-)  I like the idea of the little ceramic feet .... i think we're kindred spirits.  My Kamado is sitting out there all nice and spotless waiting for it's next job. :-)

29 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

I am definitely going to try the pesto under the skin, as that looks and sounds really nice. I very rarely trim any of the excess skin at all when I take the spine out. This looks like something that is a little easier on the Akorn, for my last cook I put the veggies on the grill and the chicken on the raised rack over the grill. This also helped crisp the chicken more.

As for the probes, I had a similar experience on my last cook and checked with a thermapen to find out that my temp was way out. I think I had gone too deep through the thigh.

Thanks AntinOz, I reckon you'll really like it ... pumped full of flavour!  Yes, i will know better with the veggies next time.   LOL... I think I was on another planet when i trimmed off that skin because on the planet where i live, there is no such thing as too much crispy chicken skin!  From now on, it's staying put! :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By psholder
      Hi all -
      Been using the Akron for a few weeks now and falling in love.  Did some chicken breasts over the weekend....turned out great.  
      I’d like to try my hand at smoking or a low-n-slow with chicken this weekend.  What range of temps should I shoot for, and how long?
      Planning on using some light wood chips, as I think I remember the darker the wood, the heavier the smoke.  

Thanks all!
    • By PeteHr
      The weather was lovely this weekend so it was definitely a grilling weekend...

Saturday I did my first attempt at Turkish Pide bread. This is how it looked just before putting on a pizza stone in the grill:

The black seeds are Nigella seeds which impart a very unique (and very nice) flavour. I often use them with rice. But anyway, after about 20 minutes at 220C:

Overall I was very pleased with the results, although the bottom could have been a bit crisper (I think I should have let the pizza stone heat up more - despite what the recipe said....)

While this was cooling down a bit half of it got eaten but did some Chicken supremes which had been in a piri-piri based marinade all day, and once they were done some olive oil brushed aubergine slices:

Really good chicken - I love piri-piri !  Pide was definitely better when really warm - just needs 10 minutes to cool slightly...

Sunday I did leg of lamb. Firstly I made deep slits into the flesh of the lamb and then made a marinade paste of EVO, lemon juice, garlic, fresh parsley and oregano, seasoning, and anchovy fillets (with the olive oil from the tin). This had about 6 hours marinating then into a hot (220C) grill and then closed the vents down to let cool down to about 180C. Basted a few times with the drippings then after about 1.5 hours this is what it looked like:

Removed the meat and covered with foil to rest while I got the cast iron griddle out and got the temperature back up so the griddle was nicely hot. Then griddled some previously part cooked (steamed) carrots and asparagus which had been dressed with EVO:

Then while I kept this little lot warm in the gasser (it does have it's uses....) griddled some Aubergine which had been brushed with EVO:

Served with some super fresh Cornish new potatoes (not pictured). Everything was really lovely - but the real star of the show was the Lamb. It had a real depth of flavour - I've used Anchovies with Lamb before but not in a marinade - but they really do work....  Will definitely do this again !!!

• By Big Biscuit
      Some wangs seasoned with Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon and slathered with Sweet & Spicy, and Honey BBQ Baby Ray's sauce. I also added a little extra heat via some cayenne pepper powder. 
       I just started a load of lump charcoal with a starter cube. Put the ×-rack on the high position, placed the heat diffuser half moons on, and then the grill grate. I closed the dome and opened the bottom vent completely. Then I opened the daisy wheel so all the holes aligned and swung the vent on top about a 1/4 of the way open. Waited for the temp to approach 400°, then closed the bottom vent about half way. Put the wings on and flipped them a few time so they would cook evenly. When they were almost done placed them in a stainless steel bowl tossed them with sauce threw them back on for a few minutes and viola!

• By St1brew
      88° here in the 603 today! My wife had said she didn't want to heat the house up, so when she was leaving work she asked to grill the chicken breast that I bought yesterday. Was actually going to do them on the gasser, however when I went out to clean the grates my propane had run out.... I quickly load up the firebox and get to temp(350°) and go in to put some seasoning on the breasts. I used some pampered chef Korean BBQ that my wife got free for spending tons of money. 30 minutes a side over 2 small chunks of apple(direct heat), with quarter turn on each side. Wife prepared rice and sliced veggies while I cooked the breasts. Let them rest 5 minutes. A splash of hot sauce and soy with a bit of shredded cheese on top. I thought the breasts were a hair over smoked but seem to hold up nicely to the soy sauce. Yummy Wednesday dinner is served! Best enjoyed with an ice cold Narragansett. 

• By DerHusker
      I had a hankering for some "Wings and Thangs" so I searched the internet for a good appetizer to go with wings.  I came up with one from “Tasty” on YouTube.

I started out with the potato skins as they took the longest. Here are the ingredients:

4 medium large (or 8 smaller) Russet potatoes. Prick w/ fork and bake for 60 minutes at 400 degrees.

Let then cool and cut in half.

Scoop out most of the potato flesh leaving approximately 1/4".

Place them on a baking rack (flesh side up) and coat the flesh with some OO and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Flip after 10)

While they are baking put the flesh of 2 scooped out potatoes into a bowl, add the following and then mix well:
      1/2 cup grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
      1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
      6 oz. of softened Cream Cheese
      2 cups shredded chicken
      1 packet of Ranch Seasoning. (2 tbsp.’s)
      1/2 cup Hot Sauce

Mix well.

Take the potato skins and fill with the potato and chicken mixture.

Top with more grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Drizzle with some ranch dressing and some diced green onion and serve)

For the wings I used a recipe from Chef John on Food Wishes. Here are the ingredients:

Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings

Ingredients for 4 portions:
      2 1/2 pounds chicken wing sections (I had 1 ¼ lbs. so I cut these amounts in half)
      1 tbsp kosher salt
      1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
      1 tsp smoked paprika
      2 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
      - Coat wings, and bake at 425 F., turning every 15-20 minutes, until they are browned and crispy. Total cooking time will be about 1 hour, but that depends on the size and temperature of your wings.

On the kamado at 400.

After 15 minutes I flipped them.

While they were cooking I made up the glaze. Here are the ingredients:
      For the Honey Sriracha glaze: (I cut these amounts in half)
      1/3 cup honey
      1/3 cup Sriracha
      1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
      1/4 tsp sesame oil
      sesame seeds to garnish

Here they are ready to be glazed.

Here they are plated up with some ranch dressing, carrots, celery and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin.

Close up of the wings.

Close up of the Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins.

Wings had some nice heat and sweetness to them and the skin was fairly crispy too.

And done!

Yum!

Thanks for looking.