Benm3

Mishima American Wagyu 5 star NY Strips

I recently tried this American Wagyu and Wow.......Mishima Reserve, Grade 5  NY Strips.  This is right below their Ultra grade.  This NY strips was incredibly tender.  Imagine Filet like tenderness.  This meat has a BMI of 6-7.  The fat consistency is completely different than normal beef.  Its very soft and melts very easily.  Even body heat will melt it.  It's pretty incredible.

fullsizeoutput_17cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17ca.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17c9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17c7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17cd.jpeg

chart.jpeg

26 minutes ago, adam319 said:

Wow. That looks amazing. I would be scared to mess it up cooking it since it is so expensive.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  The meat looks incredible.  Did you buy that online or somewhere local?

This meat is actually quite easy to cook as it cooks "easier" than normal beef.  To take any risk out of it, Sous Vide and then a sear is the best way to ensure perfectness anytime.  You want a quick sear, never above MR as you don't want to melt too much of the intramuscular fat out.  The meat almost melts.  As I cut it down from the sub primal and was packing them into vacuum seal bags, I laid one steak on the counter that was above my running dishwasher.  The small amount of heat transfer was enough to start to melt the fat.  And this was only after sitting on the counter for just a few minutes.

I stumbled upon this at my Costco.  It was still very pricey, but I wanted to try it and the sub primal was more than 10$ less per pound than the broken down steaks.  It was $18.79/pound.

10 hours ago, adam319 said:

That is actually less than I thought it would be. I will have to check our my Costco and see whats going on in the meat section.

For comparison,  Amazon has the ribeyes 4 12 oz steaks for 245.  So, thats 3 pounds for $245, so $81.67/pound

On 6/12/2018 at 9:40 AM, Benm3 said:

I stumbled upon this at my Costco.  It was still very pricey, but I wanted to try it and the sub primal was more than 10$ less per pound than the broken down steaks.  It was $18.79/pound.

wow, looks incredible.  I've not seen it at my Costcos in Fairfax or Chantilly.

19 minutes ago, In2Fish said:

wow, looks incredible.  I've not seen it at my Costcos in Fairfax or Chantilly.

It’s at the Fairfax one.  Pentagon city is where I go.