Jump to content

Blackstone cooking


ICDEDTURKES
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, wallawu said:

Dude, just looked at this thread for the first time and think I'm having a panic attack.  I just got a Blackstone less than two months ago and now you've given me so many ideas, it's overwhelming!  I've done breakfast sandwiches, quesadillas, burgers, sopes, and fajitas so far.  This has just added dozens of cooks.  Love that you've stuck with it and haven't gotten tired of it.  Congrats on the engagement, too!  Reading this thread today was like reading a story, and I felt a proposal coming.  Thanks for all the inspiration!

Thank you means alot. We love our stones. It's very simple cooking, prep to done 30 minutes. As you know their awesome. It's essentially a giant cast iron pan. We use alot of store bought glazes, sauces and spices. Found out with BBQ it's easy dump 50 bucks in a rub or sauce I don't like.

 

If your on Facebook join Blackstone bites and more. I'm a mod there awesome group,no arrogance alot of inspiration and ideas. I feel my pics pale there. Alot of great griddle folks an ideas. Honestly I've probably sold 75 griddles, all my local friends hawk over us, one meal, "I bought a bs,now what". I post on alot of hunting forums, everyone buys them. Seriously outside bbq griddling is the biggest phenomenon in cooking. I get Bob Smith an 20 others require approval every few hours.

 

Keeping with it for sure, 4 years I believe most simple cooker to master. I bbq hard for 12 years got burnt on bbq still smoke a half dozen times a summer.

 

I don't claim be the czar of blackstone, you have any questions shoot me a pm. And please don't think this thread is mine, post away, I'll love it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll need to spend some time reading through this thread, lots of good info here. Although I wasn't planning on acquiring yet another grill, I went and did it anyway. 36" Blackstone Griddle. Just seasoned it this evening, I'll play around with it tomorrow and start getting used to cooking on it.

 

Initial seasoning turned out pretty decent, if I can get it to look and act like my cast iron cookware I'll be all set. 

 

edited-image_zpswrtfget6.png

 

Regards,

-lunchman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read through this entire thread,  some awe inspiring cooks for sure and congrats @ICDEDTURKESon the engagement. 

 

I know this new toy of mine will be put to good use, I just hope it doesn't put the Kamados on the back burner too often where they're collecting dust. Just kidding,  I'm sure that's not gonna happen. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, lunchman said:

I read through this entire thread,  some awe inspiring cooks for sure and congrats @ICDEDTURKESon the engagement. 

 

I know this new toy of mine will be put to good use, I just hope it doesn't put the Kamados on the back burner too often where they're collecting dust. Just kidding,  I'm sure that's not gonna happen. 

 

 

Griddles Excell for quick easy weeknight cooks. When you don't really have the time for an all out kamado cook. And some cooks are just griddle cooks. 

 

Mine doesn't stop me from cooking on any of my other cookers but it did stop me from CI griddle cooking in my kamados. I do have 2 different sized CI griddles that were bought for my kamados that haven't been used since. No point to using them when the propane griddle is faster, easier and easier cleanup. One day somebody will come by the house that would benefit from those CI griddles and I'll give them away.

 

I have an Akorn Jr sitting in the closet that hasn't been used since I bought my Primo Oval Jr. I'll also give that away to an appropriate person one day. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

 

Griddles Excell for quick easy weeknight cooks. When you don't really have the time for an all out kamado cook. And some cooks are just griddle cooks. 

 

Mine doesn't stop me from cooking on any of my other cookers but it did stop me from CI griddle cooking in my kamados. I do have 2 different sized CI griddles that were bought for my kamados that haven't been used since. No point to using them when the propane griddle is faster, easier and easier cleanup. One day somebody will come by the house that would benefit from those CI griddles and I'll give them away.

 

I have an Akorn Jr sitting in the closet that hasn't been used since I bought my Primo Oval Jr. I'll also give that away to an appropriate person one day. 

 

 

 

I'll definitely agree with you there, @ckreef.  I used the BS this morning just to see how well I could manage temps with some fried eggs, toasted English muffins and an omelet. It wasn't too much to juggle, no time for pics though. 

 

This evening the griddle got put to good use in the form of fish tacos. Pretty simple, some frozen fish chowder pieces from my local Market Basket, thawed in the fridge. I seasoned them on the griddle with S&P and some Oyster Sauce. Grilled some Julienne carrot strips and some store bought coleslaw. Nothing overly fancy or complicated. My wife asked if this meal would have been possible on the Kamados. Yes, but with a lot of juggling of cast iron and a lot of waiting for grills to come up to temp. So that's a not really.

 

Some pics -

 

edited-image_zpsgobwtpmn.png

 

edited-image_zpsycrvver3.png

 

Not the most photogenic plated pics, but it tasted pretty darn good and was ready rather quickly.

 

edited-image_zpsh2uwdyfh.png

 

edited-image_zpsaxpl3aui.png

 

I'll still need to master temperature control, though it's not really that difficult. It's like cooking on a giant cast iron skillet !

 

-Dom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, lunchman said:

 

I'll definitely agree with you there, @ckreef.  I used the BS this morning just to see how well I could manage temps with some fried eggs, toasted English muffins and an omelet. It wasn't too much to juggle, no time for pics though. 

 

This evening the griddle got put to good use in the form of fish tacos. Pretty simple, some frozen fish chowder pieces from my local Market Basket, thawed in the fridge. I seasoned them on the griddle with S&P and some Oyster Sauce. Grilled some Julienne carrot strips and some store bought coleslaw. Nothing overly fancy or complicated. My wife asked if this meal would have been possible on the Kamados. Yes, but with a lot of juggling of cast iron and a lot of waiting for grills to come up to temp. So that's a not really.

 

Some pics -

 

edited-image_zpsgobwtpmn.png

 

edited-image_zpsycrvver3.png

 

Not the most photogenic plated pics, but it tasted pretty darn good and was ready rather quickly.

 

edited-image_zpsh2uwdyfh.png

 

edited-image_zpsaxpl3aui.png

 

I'll still need to master temperature control, though it's not really that difficult. It's like cooking on a giant cast iron skillet !

 

-Dom

 

Awesome

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grill envy. :) 

 

Darn, that Pro Series is nice. I was eyeing it the other day at Walmart when I was shopping for accessories. Definitely no need for another griddle with only two of us in the household. 

 

I did get the 36" hard cover for mine, it's a nice addition to have. I was going to fabricate something in wood to keep the soft cover off the griddle and prevent water from pooling, then decided to just go with the official BS cover.

 

I'd had thoughts of buying the Blue Rhino griddle since I liked the folding cover/shelves but took a close look at one in Lowe's yesterday and am glad I bought the Blackstone. It's already being put to good use and amazed my wife at how quickly I was able to prepare lunch yesterday, something that would have required multiple cast iron skillets indoors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, Kamado Tom said:

Luv my Blackstone!!

giE0RnjVTombSQIT%2n9BA.jpg

5McqtT7wSRCmhHkTFlvupA.jpg

jYVBqwVDSp+Ixevy759cFA.jpg

4B4MUn5ERlucBnfNohwi%Q.jpg

 

Ok, how do you keep that beautiful uniform season on it? Mine started out great, but the more I cook the more blemishes I get on it from the last cook. That a sign that I'm not burning off enough before re-oiling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wallawu said:

 

Ok, how do you keep that beautiful uniform season on it? Mine started out great, but the more I cook the more blemishes I get on it from the last cook. That a sign that I'm not burning off enough before re-oiling?

 

most likely you're putting on too heavy of coats that can't fully polymerize before the next coat, just from what I've seen on youtube and forums of others with similar issues. Less is more is a good frame of mind when seasoning IMO. I have seen numerous griddle chefs that can cook me under the table but don't understand how to season properly. I do a very light coat and let it smoke, when I see it start to puddle I wipe the entire surface with one of those blue Scott shop rags which re distributes the oil, then let it smoke again and repeat until no more puddling occurs then decide if you need more seasoning but you'll probably be good at that point. Good luck!! and don't over think it, I haven't done anything but cook on mine since the initial seasoning this spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kamado Tom said:

 

most likely you're putting on too heavy of coats that can't fully polymerize before the next coat, just from what I've seen on youtube and forums of others with similar issues. Less is more is a good frame of mind when seasoning IMO. I have seen numerous griddle chefs that can cook me under the table but don't understand how to season properly. I do a very light coat and let it smoke, when I see it start to puddle I wipe the entire surface with one of those blue Scott shop rags which re distributes the oil, then let it smoke again and repeat until no more puddling occurs then decide if you need more seasoning but you'll probably be good at that point. Good luck!! and don't over think it, I haven't done anything but cook on mine since the initial seasoning this spring.

 

I've been using flax seed oil but read it can flake. What do you use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wallawu said:

 

I've been using flax seed oil but read it can flake. What do you use?

 

I think I used peanut oil as I have a lot of it for fryer oil. Flaxseed seems brittle to me and stinks to high heaven so I'm done with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...